Frame for DI2 internal set up cant take the cables inside??

Doncantador

Mar 11, 2012
I have 2012 Rose Carbon Pro RS So today I got it built, beautiful. Very happy with the end result. Great frame, stiff, fast, really smooth ride and the Ultegra DI2 is just flawless. I really love it. The only thing is that my LBS couldn't insert the DI2 cables into the frame and this frame takes Ultegra DI2 Check this link http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose-carbon-pro-rs-3100-compact/aid:529168 so it is all external right now which is not good. This frame built to take it internally. I'm checking what's the catch here. If anyone knows I would love to her your advice. Here some pictures
5ac11825-f7ca-b37a.jpg
5ac11825-f7db-e10d.jpg
5ac11825-f7e4-d9eb.jpg
5ac11825-f7ef-de65.jpg
5ac11825-f7f9-6018.jpg

No advice other than to talk to the frame manufacturer, but...

Originally Posted by Doncantador .

I have 2012 Rose Carbon Pro RS
So today I got it built, beautiful. Very happy with the end result. Great frame, stiff, fast, really smooth ride and the Ultegra DI2 is just flawless. I really love it. The only thing is that my LBS couldn't insert the DI2 cables into the frame and this frame takes Ultegra DI2

5ac11825-f7ca-b37a.jpg
HMMmmm. Interesting, and yet, not completely surprising ...

• BUT FIRST, very nice looking bike & build!

As far as the wiring harness, based on what you said, it would seem that the OD of the insulation on the Ultegra Di2 cable may be slightly larger than OD of the insulation of the Dura Ace Di2 cable harness ... but, it may not be ... and, I think that you should do a side-by-side comparison to confirm-or-refute that supposition...

Is it the end of the wire which doesn't fit through the frame's holes OR the wiring's actual insulation?

If the DA Di2 wiring is indeed smaller, then if I were you I would contact SHIMANO (you can call or FAX them) in Irvine (CA -- I'm presuming that you live in North America ... contact the appropriate customer service based on the region you live in if you live someplace else) and ask them if there is any way to adapt a DA Di2 harness for your Ultegra Di2 shifters & derailleurs OR if there is a plug adapter (if different) so that you can use a Dura Ace Di2 harness with your Ultegra Di2 components OR if you are handy, you can possibly DIY...

If it is that the insulation only SEEMS to be too large by an infinitesmally small amount (i.e., it ALMOST seems like the right size hole), then simply wetting it with plain water OR soapy water may be all it requires to feed the wire through the frame's holes.

According to this picture, the bottom of my BB area, where I mount the external B junction. They say on the cable guide thread but there is no screw hole there, how it fixed on? Anyone..?
5ac11825-e25f-9d60.jpg

Finally my LBS got me what I wanted, they width a bit the internal housing The frame has, they did a great job and everything runs internally, neat and clean. I'll post some pictures soon!

Here are the pictures after the job was done. Everything running inside. The housing holes were expended to take the wires in. The chain stay was drilled in the back of it for the RD wire, the existing hole of the FD in the BB area was widen a bit to take the wires of the FD and the battery. Comments are welcome!
5ac11825-f4b3-03d7.jpg
5ac11825-f4be-dad9.jpg
5ac11825-f4cf-a9c4.jpg
5ac11825-f4dd-58f5.jpg
5ac11825-f4e9-53ca.jpg
5ac11825-f4f3-3f0f.jpg
5ac11825-f53b-d5d7.jpg
5ac11825-f549-3a64.jpg
5ac11825-f552-cd2f.jpg

That's a nice looking bike, but drilling should not have been necessary. Since the bike was advertised by the company that made it to work with your Shimano Di2, the company should have replaced the frame with one that had proper sized wiring holes. Certainly you should not have to or want to drill a brand new frame that is incorrectly made or spec'd. I hope you didn't have to pay for that. You need to cover the raw CF where it was drilled. I'd suggest first covering with black paint, and then cover the paint with a lacquer (clear nail polish or traditional lacquer for painting). If nothing else, at least cover the raw CF with laquer. You could do it all in one go with black nail polish since nail polish is a lacquer.

alienator said:
That's a nice looking bike, but drilling should not have been necessary. Since the bike was advertised by the company that made it to work with your Shimano Di2, the company should have replaced the frame with one that had proper sized wiring holes. Certainly you should not have to or want to drill a brand new frame that is incorrectly made or spec'd. I hope you didn't have to pay for that. You need to cover the raw CF where it was drilled. I'd suggest first covering with black paint, and then cover the paint with a lacquer (clear nail polish or traditional lacquer for painting). If nothing else, at least cover the raw CF with laquer. You could do it all in one go with black nail polish since nail polish is a lacquer.
I'm planing to do it and also to try and see if I can plug after it the Shimano Grommets. Thanks