frame materials

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by greggery peccary, Jul 4, 2006.

  1. ok here's one to revisit: ive been riding on an aluminum frame w/carbon
    fork for three years 10K miles. the frame is now cracked and the more i
    read the more i realize that steel frames have come a long way
    recently. my previous bike was a very light benotto steel bike but it
    was mushy and downright scary at 40mph. switching to the aluminum was a
    real joy for me to hammer up the hills around here with efficiency and
    glide downhill with no shakiness. now im looking for a new frame for
    <$500.
    riding: commuting 3K hilly miles/ year on very bad potholed & rutted
    streets. the only racing i do is against other commuters, cars and
    possums...
    -alan

    Tags:

  2. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    greggery peccary wrote:
    > ok here's one to revisit: ive been riding on an aluminum frame w/carbon
    > fork for three years 10K miles. the frame is now cracked and the more i
    > read the more i realize that steel frames have come a long way
    > recently. my previous bike was a very light benotto steel bike but it
    > was mushy and downright scary at 40mph. switching to the aluminum was a
    > real joy for me to hammer up the hills around here with efficiency and
    > glide downhill with no shakiness. now im looking for a new frame for
    > <$500.
    > riding: commuting 3K hilly miles/ year on very bad potholed & rutted
    > streets. the only racing i do is against other commuters, cars and
    > possums...
    > -alan

    Nashbar has a touring frame (7005 aluminum, steel fork) on sale now for
    $180. I've purchased 2 frames in the last few years -- a Cannondale
    touring (aluminum, steel fork, new, LBS) for $450 and a Fuji (steel,
    new, Ebay) for $90. The Cannondale is stiffer, which makes it feel more
    secure at speed, but the Fuji rides well, too. My preference for the
    large size frames I ride is aluminum, but it's not a huge preference.

Share This Page