freestyle unis?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by mornish, Jun 13, 2006.

  1. mornish

    mornish Guest

    I was wondering, do freestyle unis really help a lot for freestyle
    tricks?
    I was thinking of hopping on wheel, sideways WW, standup WW, gliding,
    coasting, standup gliding/coasting, pirouettes, WW, and other freestyle
    tricks I can't think of.

    --
    mornish

    ><>UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF TOO<><

    "LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
    "CX seats are bricks."

  2. mornish

    mornish Guest

  3. Unitik908

    Unitik908 Guest

    yes they do, the skinnier tire and lighter weight helps a lot. not
    saying you can't do those things with a trials but it sure is nice to
    have one

    Chase

    --
    Unitik908

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
    R.I.P Unibiker
    R.I.P Gazzaloddi
    R.I.P Paul Hester
    R.I.P James Doohan
    R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
    R.I.P Peter Jennings
    R.I.P Pope John Paul II
    R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
    YAMS

    -last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -

  4. Wheel Rider

    Wheel Rider Guest

    mornish wrote:
    > I was wondering, do freestyle unis really help a lot for freestyle
    > tricks?
    > I was thinking of hopping on wheel, sideways WW, standup WW, gliding,
    > coasting, standup gliding/coasting, pirouettes, WW, and other freestyle
    > tricks I can't think of.

    I bought a Torker LX and put shorter cranks on it. That is my
    inexpensive freestyle uni. I works for me. I may yet learn how to ride
    one-footed.

    --
    Wheel Rider

    A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
    blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
    Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656

  5. phlegm

    phlegm Guest

  6. ntappin

    ntappin Guest

  7. mornish

    mornish Guest

  8. Wheel Rider

    Wheel Rider Guest

    mornish wrote:
    > I was wondering, do freestyle unis really help a lot for freestyle
    > tricks?

    Yes.

    --
    Wheel Rider

    A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
    blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
    Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656

  9. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    mornish wrote:
    > I was wondering, do freestyle unis really help a lot for freestyle
    > tricks?

    Yes, especially if you don't have another unicycle. Was there some
    other type of unicycle you meant to be comparing it to?

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
    -- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

  10. mornish

    mornish Guest

    I have a KH trials, and I was wondering if it would be alot easier to do
    freestyle tricks compared to that.

    --
    mornish

    ><>UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF TOO<><

    "LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
    "CX seats are bricks."

  11. Wheel Rider

    Wheel Rider Guest

    mornish wrote:
    > I have a KH trials, and I was wondering if it would be alot easier to do
    > freestyle tricks compared to that.

    We have a young rider in the Memphis Unicycle Club who used to have one
    unicycle, a trials style. He got a Torker LX and his freestyle skills
    got better.

    --
    Wheel Rider

    A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
    blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
    Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656

  12. litldude2

    litldude2 Guest

    mornish wrote:
    > I have a KH trials, and I was wondering if it would be alot easier to do
    > freestyle tricks compared to that.

    Depending on what freestyle tricks you are doing, most are very
    possible on a trials uni. Freestyle unis are better for pirouettes,
    spins, and probably stand up stuff. Unless you want to do some really
    advanced freestyle then you should be fine on a trials uni. I can stand
    up ww and do alot of other freestyle type things on my trials.

    --
    litldude2

    Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
    AIM: Litldude2
    Email: Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
    (See a pattern?)
    ............'Bedford Unicycles' (BedfordUnicycles.ca)

  13. mornish

    mornish Guest

    ok, well that off my list of uni stuff for a while at least. thanks for
    the help

    Miles

    --
    mornish

    ><>UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF TOO<><

    "LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
    "CX seats are bricks."

  14. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    litldude2 wrote:
    > Unless you want to do some really advanced freestyle then you should be
    > fine on a trials uni.

    I disagree. Though you can do most Freestyle moves on a Trials uni,
    many will be harder. Some will be easier, but the balance will be on
    the harder side. The weak points in a Trials uni for Freestyle are:
    - heavy in general
    - heavy wheel
    - long cranks
    - wide Q-factor
    - pedals and tire usually make it impossible to ride indoors

    Riding on a nice gym floor is very different from the average outdoor
    pavement, if you have that option. A lightweight, stiff wheel with a
    high pressure tire will make lots of tricks easier to learn, and easier
    to do.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
    -- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

  15. mornish

    mornish Guest

    I actually have access to a gym that I can ride in w/ my trials uni. I
    think a freestyle uni would be nice to have, but right now a BC is
    first on my list of things to get.

    --
    mornish

    ><>UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF TOO<><

    "LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
    "CX seats are bricks."

  16. artemis

    artemis Guest

    Mornish, if freestyle unis didn't help for freestyle tricks why would
    they even

    sell freestyle unis. Of course they help. But, Mornish, you aren't good
    enough

    to really need one. Save $ for a bc. Maybe wait till after your Bar
    Mitzvah

    and then get a MUni instead. Don't bother with a freestyle uni.

    --
    artemis

    I don't think therefore I'm not
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible-Walt Disney
    Extra suffixes make life more funnererer
    Dude, that's superfantabulous
    artemis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12231

  17. litldude2

    litldude2 Guest

    johnfoss wrote:
    > I disagree. Though you can do most Freestyle moves on a Trials uni, many
    > will be harder. Some will be easier, but the balance will be on the
    > harder side. The weak points in a Trials uni for Freestyle are:
    > - heavy in general
    > - heavy wheel
    > - long cranks
    > - wide Q-factor
    > - pedals and tire usually make it impossible to ride indoors
    >
    > Riding on a nice gym floor is very different from the average outdoor
    > pavement, if you have that option. A lightweight, stiff wheel with a
    > high pressure tire will make lots of tricks easier to learn, and easier
    > to do.

    When I made that post my main uni was my trials and I had never ridden
    a freestyle to actually do tricks on so I figured that I was doing fine
    on my trials and a freestyle uni wasn't really needed for that stuff.

    Since then I bought Evan's street uni (its basically a really strong
    freestyle with a splined 110mm koxx setup). Everything I do now on that
    uni is so much easier I am not sure if I will ever ride my trials
    again. Within my first 20 minutes riding it for the first time I landed
    3 540 unispins. I use it for all the flatland/freestyle stuff I do and
    almost everything is much easier. Crankflip tricks were weird at first
    with the short cranks and I think longer ones would help but I have
    control of them now and I think all my crankflip tricks were better
    than before also.

    A few days ago I got back on my fatty trials with summit frame and
    within a couple minutes I had dropped it back on the floor and picked
    up that street uni again.

    Soon I am planning on getting a 'twenty-g'
    (http://3gbikes.com/components/twenty-g.html) tire and see how I like
    it. I am hoping it will be the best mix of a freestyle and trials uni.

    --
    litldude2

    Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
    AIM: Litldude2
    Email: Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
    (See a pattern?)
    ............'Bedford Unicycles' (BedfordUnicycles.ca)

  18. mornish

    mornish Guest

  19. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest