freestyle unis?

mornish

Guest
I was wondering, do freestyle unis really help a lot for freestyle
tricks?
I was thinking of hopping on wheel, sideways WW, standup WW, gliding,
coasting, standup gliding/coasting, pirouettes, WW, and other freestyle
tricks I can't think of.

--
mornish

><>UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF TOO<><

"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
"CX seats are bricks."

yes they do, the skinnier tire and lighter weight helps a lot. not
saying you can't do those things with a trials but it sure is nice to
have one

Chase

--
Unitik908

All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
R.I.P Unibiker
R.I.P Gazzaloddi
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P James Doohan
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Peter Jennings
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
YAMS

-last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -

mornish wrote:
> I was wondering, do freestyle unis really help a lot for freestyle
> tricks?
> I was thinking of hopping on wheel, sideways WW, standup WW, gliding,
> coasting, standup gliding/coasting, pirouettes, WW, and other freestyle
> tricks I can't think of.

I bought a Torker LX and put shorter cranks on it. That is my
inexpensive freestyle uni. I works for me. I may yet learn how to ride
one-footed.

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656

mornish wrote:
> I was wondering, do freestyle unis really help a lot for freestyle
> tricks?

Yes, especially if you don't have another unicycle. Was there some
other type of unicycle you meant to be comparing it to?

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
-- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

mornish wrote:
> I have a KH trials, and I was wondering if it would be alot easier to do
> freestyle tricks compared to that.

We have a young rider in the Memphis Unicycle Club who used to have one
unicycle, a trials style. He got a Torker LX and his freestyle skills
got better.

--

mornish wrote:
> I have a KH trials, and I was wondering if it would be alot easier to do
> freestyle tricks compared to that.

Depending on what freestyle tricks you are doing, most are very
possible on a trials uni. Freestyle unis are better for pirouettes,
spins, and probably stand up stuff. Unless you want to do some really
advanced freestyle then you should be fine on a trials uni. I can stand
up ww and do alot of other freestyle type things on my trials.

--
litldude2

Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
AIM: Litldude2
Email: Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
(See a pattern?)
............'Bedford Unicycles' (BedfordUnicycles.ca)

litldude2 wrote:
> Unless you want to do some really advanced freestyle then you should be
> fine on a trials uni.

I disagree. Though you can do most Freestyle moves on a Trials uni,
many will be harder. Some will be easier, but the balance will be on
the harder side. The weak points in a Trials uni for Freestyle are:
- heavy in general
- heavy wheel
- long cranks
- wide Q-factor
- pedals and tire usually make it impossible to ride indoors

Riding on a nice gym floor is very different from the average outdoor
pavement, if you have that option. A lightweight, stiff wheel with a
high pressure tire will make lots of tricks easier to learn, and easier
to do.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
-- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

I actually have access to a gym that I can ride in w/ my trials uni. I
think a freestyle uni would be nice to have, but right now a BC is
first on my list of things to get.

--
mornish

><>UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF TOO<><

"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
"CX seats are bricks."

Mornish, if freestyle unis didn't help for freestyle tricks why would
they even

sell freestyle unis. Of course they help. But, Mornish, you aren't good
enough

to really need one. Save $ for a bc. Maybe wait till after your Bar
Mitzvah

and then get a MUni instead. Don't bother with a freestyle uni.

--
artemis

I don't think therefore I'm not
It's kind of fun to do the impossible-Walt Disney
Extra suffixes make life more funnererer
Dude, that's superfantabulous
artemis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12231

johnfoss wrote:
> I disagree. Though you can do most Freestyle moves on a Trials uni, many
> will be harder. Some will be easier, but the balance will be on the
> harder side. The weak points in a Trials uni for Freestyle are:
> - heavy in general
> - heavy wheel
> - long cranks
> - wide Q-factor
> - pedals and tire usually make it impossible to ride indoors
>
> Riding on a nice gym floor is very different from the average outdoor
> pavement, if you have that option. A lightweight, stiff wheel with a
> high pressure tire will make lots of tricks easier to learn, and easier
> to do.

When I made that post my main uni was my trials and I had never ridden
a freestyle to actually do tricks on so I figured that I was doing fine
on my trials and a freestyle uni wasn't really needed for that stuff.

Since then I bought Evan's street uni (its basically a really strong
freestyle with a splined 110mm koxx setup). Everything I do now on that
uni is so much easier I am not sure if I will ever ride my trials
again. Within my first 20 minutes riding it for the first time I landed
3 540 unispins. I use it for all the flatland/freestyle stuff I do and
almost everything is much easier. Crankflip tricks were weird at first
with the short cranks and I think longer ones would help but I have
control of them now and I think all my crankflip tricks were better
than before also.

A few days ago I got back on my fatty trials with summit frame and
within a couple minutes I had dropped it back on the floor and picked
up that street uni again.

Soon I am planning on getting a 'twenty-g'
(http://3gbikes.com/components/twenty-g.html) tire and see how I like
it. I am hoping it will be the best mix of a freestyle and trials uni.