From Couch To Lifestyle Change

Xracer110

Mar 9, 2015
I'm 44, ex pro bmx and motocross racer from 80-94. After that kinda let myself go, was up to 198lbs 5'8 last week, I cut out fast food and 99% of pop and lost 10lbs just doing that. My racing weight was 145 but then all I did was train 10hrs a day so that is unrealistic of a goal. I'd like to get to 160-170 so I can still have pizza etc. Now here's the problem, I got a giant defy 5 entry bike, the gear will come in time. I went for my first ride today and went 2miles and I'm completely wore out!!!! Rubber legs,winded, sore assed.
My goal I think I want to have is 10miles a week for a month' then every month change add 10miles a week. So is this reasonable and realistic? What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance

Yes. It does take time and patience. Getting off your butt each day is the challenge. Once you get up you are good to go. Been there.

Find something that encourages you. When I first started to bike as a mode of transportation it lost the fun it once had when I did it recreationally. Then I found this place that made these breakfast biscuits that I've never found better of & it just so happened to be ten miles from my house. It encouraged me to get up & go. So, I guess I'm saying find your biscuits?

Reactions: Xracer110
If you raced and trained lots, you'll get back quicker than you first expect.

I raced road bikes from the mid 80s to the late 90's and my race weight was between 140 and 143 (at 5ft11). In 2004 I reached 230lbs before getting back on the bike. I found that the legs returned faster than the weight came off.

The sad thing is, the weight does come back on alarmingly fast.

What works best for me is starting out small and maintaining a streak until it becomes a habit. Then I proceed to leveling up like amping the intensity or mileage. So I'm careful not to burn myself out right at the start. It's good that you have a long term plan tho... Good luck with your goal!

I always picture my goal in my head... my reason for doing it... and tell myself it isn't going to happen if I miss even o e day. If I let myself slide one day, then that one day will turn into 3 or 4 days.

I like your game plan moving forward, and you might run into some bumpy spots where you'd rather stay at home, but you should be able to get past those barriers. I think you'll be fine with this particular plan, and you're definitely going to start feeling better being out cycling compared to sitting at home on the couch. We all have our down moments in life when it comes to wanting to stay in rather than go out, but we can come back from that!

I like this game plan, I must start very small I have not been on a bike in year. The garage iis full of bikes that are not being used. Out of 5 bikes two will fit me, one does not have gears and other does have gears. I am not comfortable with the gears on the bike, how do I learn the gears or should I stay wil the manuel bike.

I raced road bikes from the mid 80s to the late 90's and my race weight was between 140 and 143 (at 5ft11). In 2004 I reached 230lbs before getting back on the bike. I found that the legs returned faster than the weight came off.????

Unless you have a serious medical condition, are extremely old, or live on the side of a mountain going 2 miles and being that shot can only mean one of a few things:

1. You went WAY too hard
2. You pushed WAY to big of a gear

As an ex-athlete, the volume of your ego shouting is likely drowning out your body's cries for sanity.

When I started out (computer nerd who was NEVER an athlete), 5 miles would just about kill me. I got a Heart Rate Monitor, and the next day I went 10 miles instead of 5 and actually felt a little better (and posted a faster average speed). Why? Because when it started beeping, I knew to back off even though my ego told me to keep pushing.

Also, grinding a big gear is not helping your fitness. Not all pain is gain. Spin easier gears. Your knees will thank you.

If you don't want to buy one, try this for 1 week: The Mouth Closed No Leg Pain protocol. So go out riding. If you have to breathe through your mouth or your legs hurt, shift down one cog into an easier gear. You'll feel like you're barely moving, but you'll be shocked at how much you body will adapt even at that light level. As those adaptations level off (you'll know), start pushing harder.

The beauty of cycling is that you can get your heart rate up into a zone where you are getting benefit, and keep it there for a LONG time.