Gearing problem on new 10 speed?

li0scc0 said:
Hey boudreaux, the sky is blue today. Just thought I would say that so you can find another reason to disagree with somebody. It seems to make you happy.
Well, it's really cloudy here now,but it was sunny enough earlier to be sure the sun still came up in the east...at least today.

boudreaux said:
Well, it's really cloudy here now,but it was sunny enough earlier to be sure the sun still came up in the east...at least today.
hAHAHA, I love it! Good posts, my friend.
Cheers, Steve

li0scc0 said:
The goal is to ride in the most efficient gear in the most efficient manner.
And that sir is NOT being crossed chained even if you can physically do it. It isn't effecient and promotes premature wear. Modern equipment is actually less tolerant of it than old 5 or 6 speed which used narrower hubs where cross chaining produced less extreme angles. I'm doubtful the concept will get thru to you, so as I said...no cheeze with the whine.

li0scc0 said:
Tell me why you shouldn't? I can think of numerous instances, especially in fierce headwinds, where such might be advantageous. It is quicker to click once on the rear derailleur than to shift both the front and the rear, and if it works fine then I am at a loss to understand why we should limit our 18 or 20 speeds to 12 speeds.

Kids these days! Won't even click twice on STI brifters! Why, back when I was your age we shifted both downtube friction shifters one handed, going uphill, in snow up to the top tube!

dhk said:
Avoiding extreme chain angles is more efficient too. In addition to less friction from bending the chain, the torque best when the chain is square to the axle. Anytime the chain is is at an angle, rather than perpendicular to the rear axle, some % of chain pull is going into pulling the axle sideways...and not helping get you down the road.
I will 100% agree with the above. However, you must realize this opens up a can of worms. Your above assertion would, by logical conclusion if not supported by scientific evidence, lead us to use ONLY the one gear (if any) that allows for a perfect perpendicular.
I realize this is a reductio ad absurdum, and of course we know this is not the case! When we cycle, we are constantly using gears that are not perfectly perpendicular. The question is, how much deviation from perpendicular is efficient, and at what point does efficiency drop and possible damage increase?
Without seeing some evidence, if somebody states they "feel" the fully crossed gears are too much, then I would argue why not the next cog in? And the next? Heck, the chain is not at all perpendicular in my 53x12, should I therefore not use that gear, rendering that cog completely useless?
Thus, if anybody has any scientific evidence about crossing gears, I would love to see it.

steve_wmn said:
Kids these days! Won't even click twice on STI brifters! Why, back when I was your age we shifted both downtube friction shifters one handed, going uphill, in snow up to the top tube!
In the 80's I raced with a Gitane 12 speed with friction shifters, frequently crossing gears by necessity ('cause that's all we had!)