Gene Doping (ABC's 7.30 Report)

hippy

New Member
Sep 5, 2003
1,806
Did anyone see this segment?

It was all about modifying the body genetically to improve performance.
So you could alter the body at the genetic level with a virus implanted
with new genetic structure and it would theoretically be undetectable.
This is appearing now and could be a threat for the next Olympics..

Just wondering if anyone knew more or had opinions on this?

hippy

> Did anyone see this segment?
>
> It was all about modifying the body genetically to improve
> performance.
> So you could alter the body at the genetic level with a virus
> implanted
> with new genetic structure and it would theoretically be undetectable.
> This is appearing now and could be a threat for the next Olympics..
>
> Just wondering if anyone knew more or had opinions on this?
>
> hippy
>

> --
> hippy

I didn't see that show but by the sounds of it, It's scary...real scary, I
mean genetically interfering with the human body may well be the new medical
masterpeice but jeez.....what if something backfired eh...what if something
went terribly wrong? Who will be accountable? who will be those who will
suffer?
Once found out, those so called athletes who participate, will possibly be
louded as cheats and they could be losers in more ways than one.
Ok, maybe genetics have been there for humans to detect and alter, maybe
it's our destiny who knows, but then again, I'm just not sure about this
idea of playing God with an already perfect system. Over to you guys......i
just don't like the sound of genetic interference!!

DJ

"DJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

[...]

> Ok, maybe genetics have been there for humans to detect and alter,
> maybe it's our destiny who knows, but then again, I'm just not sure
> about this idea of playing God with an already perfect system. Over
> to you guys......i just don't like the sound of genetic interference!!

Perfect? There's so many design flaws in the human body it's an almost
perfect argument against there being a God.

news:[email protected]
> Did anyone see this segment?
>
> It was all about modifying the body genetically to improve
> performance.
> So you could alter the body at the genetic level with a virus
> implanted
> with new genetic structure and it would theoretically be undetectable.
> This is appearing now and could be a threat for the next Olympics..
>
> Just wondering if anyone knew more or had opinions on this?

I'm in favour of it being done openly and above board but in the current
climate of hysteria gene doping will be pushed underground with all that
implies about lack of proper scrutiny. I agree with Professor Savulescu:

"We have two choices: to vainly try to turn the clock back, or to rethink
who we are and what sport is, and to make a new 21st-century Olympics. Not a
super-Olympics but a more human Olympics. Our crusade against drugs in sport
has failed. Rather than fearing drugs in sport, we should embrace them.
Performance enhancement is not against the spirit of sport; it is the spirit
of sport. To choose to be better is to be human."

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/08/02/1091432108050.html

The same goes for gene doping. Not only is it inevitable but it's right, so
let's do it properly.

--

A: Top-posters.