George Galloway To Be Extradited

Carrera

Feb 2, 2004
The news is George Galloway is facing extradition to the U.S., accused of having lied under oath. So far as I'm aware, Republican Senators have been trying to nail Mr Galloway due to the fact he humiliated Blair in the recent elections.
Even on many American websites, the story is doing the rounds. Here I found the following comment.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"GEORGE GALLOWAY should be extradited and put on trial in the US for his "lies under oath" to the Senate Comittee. He should be given fair trial. Since he is a British Citizen and a member of the British Parliament may be Secret Evidence will should not be accepted as in the case of trying Middle Eastern subjects. An open fair trial should be all evidence subject to interrogation and investigation."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the charges the Senate had managed to come up with. If proven, George Galloway could be imprisoned and his seat lost in his London constituency.

"1) Between 1999 and 2003, Galloway personally solicited and received eight oil "allocations" totaling 23 million barrels, which went either to him or to a politicized "charity" of his named the Mariam Appeal.

2) In connection with just one of these allocations, Galloway's wife, Amineh Abu-Zayyad, received about $150,000 directly.

3) A minimum of $446,000 was directed to the Mariam Appeal, which campaigned against the very sanctions from which it was secretly benefiting.

4) Through the connections established by the Galloway and "Mariam" allocations, the Saddam Hussein regime was enabled to reap $1,642,000 in kickbacks or "surcharge" payments."

Sigh, those charges are the same ones they claimed the first time around... The same ones he has answered before and been cleared of. Also the man doesn't need to be extradited, he offered to go there voluntarily. I smell show trial.

Carrera said:
"1) Between 1999 and 2003, Galloway personally solicited and received eight oil "allocations" totaling 23 million barrels, which went either to him or to a politicized "charity" of his named the Mariam Appeal.

So much for not being allowed to be tried for the same thing repeatedly... :(

Carrera said:
2) In connection with just one of these allocations, Galloway's wife, Amineh Abu-Zayyad, received about $150,000 directly.

... Which ain't necessarily anyhing to do with him. She should be the one appearing in court for this charge, not him.

Carrera said:
3) A minimum of $446,000 was directed to the Mariam Appeal, which campaigned against the very sanctions from which it was secretly benefiting.

AFAICT that has been covered by the Charities Commission and the Libel hearing.

Carrera said:
4) Through the connections established by the Galloway and "Mariam" allocations, the Saddam Hussein regime was enabled to reap $1,642,000 in kickbacks or "surcharge" payments."

... That presumes Galloway's gilt, so I'm guessing they threw that one in to make their case look a little stronger than the same tired rehash of the allegations made before. Oddly these aren't new allegations, they're the exact same ones they made first time around.

Maybe they've managed to beat the **** out of his wife until she agreed to testify. They don't seem to mind harming women as retaliation against dissenting politicians (eg: Wilson/Plame).

Carrera said:
The news is George Galloway is facing extradition to the U.S., accused of having lied under oath. So far as I'm aware, Republican Senators have been trying to nail Mr Galloway due to the fact he humiliated Blair in the recent elections.
Even on many American websites, the story is doing the rounds. Here I found the following comment.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"GEORGE GALLOWAY should be extradited and put on trial in the US for his "lies under oath" to the Senate Comittee. He should be given fair trial. Since he is a British Citizen and a member of the British Parliament may be Secret Evidence will should not be accepted as in the case of trying Middle Eastern subjects. An open fair trial should be all evidence subject to interrogation and investigation."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the charges the Senate had managed to come up with. If proven, George Galloway could be imprisoned and his seat lost in his London constituency.

Dear old George whupped the Senate in the first round. If the Senate is so serious why don't they bring their case to the Royal Courts of Justice in this country with their allegations. If they think that an extradition order should be placed upon him, they are only making themselves look even more foolish. Tony Blair and the Home Office would never condone such a move. Even stupid George isn't that stupid to condone the Senate on this occasion.

FredC said:
Even stupid George isn't that stupid to condone the Senate on this occasion.
Fresh allegations have come out on this one over the past week. Galloway was on Scotland Today saying: Bring it on. He is willing to go over the same old ground to prove his innocence.

Shouldnt the senate commitee have go it right first time? Surely they cant call him back.

Also, as Fred says, wtf has this go to do with the senate? If he is to be tried, do it in the UK.

GG has asked Norm Colman (US Senate Comm Head) to charge him with perjury.
GG has asked them to lay those charges against him - or otherwise shut up.

GG was on irish TV on Friday night and he announced that he had met with Tariq Aziz lawyers in Paris and the lawyers told him that TA never gave any evidence to that Committee and for Coleman to say otherwise is a lie, according to GG.
(Coleman falsely claims that TA said that GG got 150k worth of oil !)

I hope GG is extradited - because I'm going to see him at the Helix Theatre tommorrow night where he's giving a public address !

limerickman said:
I hope GG is extradited - because I'm going to see him at the Helix Theatre tommorrow night where he's giving a public address !
that should be fun, he's a phenomenal public speaker..

limerickman said:
GG has asked Norm Colman (US Senate Comm Head) to charge him with perjury.
GG has asked them to lay those charges against him - or otherwise shut up.

GG was on irish TV on Friday night and he announced that he had met with Tariq Aziz lawyers in Paris and the lawyers told him that TA never gave any evidence to that Committee and for Coleman to say otherwise is a lie, according to GG.
(Coleman falsely claims that TA said that GG got 150k worth of oil !)

How do you extredite someone who´s offering to pay his own airfare to face these charges ??
I know that politicians are mostly di*kheads but those guys in washington really take the cake .

el Inglés said:
How do you extredite someone who´s offering to pay his own airfare to face these charges ??
I know that politicians are mostly di*kheads but those guys in washington really take the cake .

GG said that he'd pay his own fare over to Washington on the understanding that he be charged with perjury !
That's what he said last Friday night on the Late Late Show.
He also said he bought an orange jumpsuit !

MountainPro said:

pro,

I travelled to Dublin yesterday evening to see GG giving a public address at the Helix Theatre last night.

And you're right, GG is some speaker.
He spoke for 2 hours without notes about Iraq, Middle East, Bliar and his visit to the US Senate.

he is a phenomenal speaker.
The place was packed but it was well worth it (14 quid per head).
He answered questions from the audience as well.
The man has a great ability as an orator.

MountainPro said:

pro,

I travelled to Dublin yesterday evening to see GG giving a public address at the Helix Theatre last night.

He spoke for 2 hours without notes about Iraq, Middle East, Bliar and his visit to the US Senate.

limerickman said:
pro,

I agree that he is a showman. I watched the debate between him and Hitchens. Great television. I'm not so sure he is innocent but I can't for the life of me figure why they would have him back if they don't have any concrete proof.

Colorado Ryder said:
I agree that he is a showman. I watched the debate between him and Hitchens. Great television. I'm not so sure he is innocent but I can't for the life of me figure why they would have him back if they don't have any concrete proof.
They are just bluffing and trying to frighten him. Can't be done.

limerickman said:
pro,

Worth every penny for that opportunity to hear him in action.

FLASH REPORT:
I'll reveal more details later. They seem to have fresh evidence that could sink George Galloway. Sources tell me new stuff has come to light.
It seems like he could be finished politically.

It's interesting to decipher what Galloway actually believes. Here, he expressed the view that Jerusalem belongs to the Islamic world:
"Jerusalem and Baghdad. The foreigners are doing to your daughters as they will. The daughters are crying for help, and the Arab world is silent. And some of them are collaborating with the rape of these two beautiful Arab daughters." (George Galloway speaking on Syrian TV).

Comment: I wonder if the emperor Augustus would have shared this view that Jerusalem is a daughter of the Arab world? :confused:

Next, Galloway attacks Berlusconi. Berlusconi's crime? He apparently stated he thought western Europe had outstripped the Arab world and was more democratic, more free and more technologically advanced. That definitely upset George but George can't seem to name any Arab alternative to Marconi who invented the radio :confused:

Next, George seems to have a dig at Bush (justified, I guess) but fowls up by evidently praising the terrorist Zarqawi who happens to be in the business of blowing people up:

"Most of the children, most of the schools, most of the buses, were bombed by the United States. Let's keep this clearly in perspective: Most of the children who died in Iraq were killed by George Bush, not by Zarqawi." (G Galloway on Syrian TV.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------"Experts in the Arab world said Mr Galloway was, consciously or unconsciously, aping the rhetoric of extremists. "No ordinary Arab politician or even journalist, would use such heightened language," said one. "To say your daughter is being raped is, for an Arab, completely over the top."

"

el Inglés said:

Melanie Phillips writes with a titter:

"Now stop sniggering at the back. This is a tragic setback for a glittering jewel in our democratic crown.
George Galloway, whose far-left Respect party sucks up to radical Islamists in order to woo the Muslim vote, was last night forced to flee for his life from some of these said Islamists who threatened to string him up as a false prophet for enticing Muslims to take part in the un-Islamic activity of voting. 'Gorgeous' George did not take this in the collegiate spirit in which it was clearly intended.
What actually happened:
'Mr Galloway was electioneering on the Osier council estate in Bethnal Green last night when a gang of 30 Muslim fundamentalists, who claim voting is un-Islamic, surrounded him and his supporters. The men said they were angry at Mr Galloway's attempt to woo Muslim voters. They said they were "setting up the gallows" for him and warned any Muslim who voted for his anti-war Respect party that they faced a "sentence of death". After a fight broke out between the two groups, police were called and Mr Galloway was forced to hide in his car in an alley until the violence calmed down'.

Now wouldn't it have read a whole lot better if Galloway hadn't turned heel and sprinted for his life but burst into kung-fu fighting and defended himself with a few flying kicks? :p ;) :) :p ;)