Getting fit with root crops

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Corzhens, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Eating root crops is an advocacy of a known athlete here. He says that root crops like sweet potato or cassava can give you the energy for a marathon (maybe if you eat enough). During runs, he would eat a couple of sweet potato an hour before the start of the event and all he would need along the way is water. Even when not running, he also eats root crops as snacks. He particularly likes cassava cake.

Tags:

2. BikeBikeBikeBike

BikeBikeBikeBike Active Member

I was just watching IP Man (fantastic movie if you have not seen it) and they gave the coal miners ONE sweet potato looking thing for the whole lunch. Then he goes on to wop Jap butt so they MUST be energy dense!
    But no seriously root crops are a staple for many societies, they are both caloric and nutrient dense!
    It's been said that you could live on pretty much nothing but potatoes for a long time.
    They gotta be one of the heathiuest things for you.
    I'm a big fan of carrots and parsnips.
    I have read about cassava before but I have never got a chance to try it.

3. Personablue

Personablue New Member

Sweet potato is in fact a modified root. It is the reservoir of energy for the plant and thus it is rich in starch. Starch is a carbohydrate and carbohydrate is used for instant energy needs. It is converted to glucose in our body. It is a known fact here and I guess everybody knows this in science.