Getting My Two Bicycles To Fit In Sync

glenna1984

May 31, 2005
I have a Litespeed Tuscany and a Lynskey R230.
The Lynskey fits better as it feels like a little more reach.
The Litespeed feels a little too upright.

However, when I measure seat nose to the outside top of the hood, or to the middle of the hood, the Litespeed is only 1/2" or 1.25cm shorter.
Could that make so much of a difference.

The Lynskey Stem is 80mm with 17 degree rise.
The Litespeed is 80mm with 40 degree rise.

I assume the similarity in reach is due to the geometry of the bike.
The seat and handle bars are the same height from the ground on each bike.

What would be the best way to extend my reach a little on the Litespeed but keep the handlebars the same height off the ground?

Thanks,
Glenn

"Could that make so much of a difference."

Yes. At least in my case. Many riders are very sensitive to changes in setup and geometry. Frankly, 1/2" is a pretty good dimensional change for most riders.

"What would be the best way to extend my reach a little on the Litespeed but keep the handlebars the same height off the ground?"

Depends on your stem in most cases. A 40° rise is significant. Going longer...drop the spacer thickness under the stem if need be on the Litespeed. If no spacers are present, a lower headset top cap might be an option. I suppose you could also shop around and find a stem with slightly less rise when going for a longer one and put more spacers under it 'if' you have steerer tube height to do so.

Lastly, and I hesitate to even suggest such an abortion for a nice Ti frame, you could use one of the adjustable stems.

I like your taste in Ti frames. Both frames are sweet.

Thanks for the reply. I had thought about spacers and moving the seat. The latter could cause all sorts of problems with legs and knees.
So, I removed one spacer. The Litespeed felt too low (1 spacer???). I put it back and realized something.

Going from the Lynskey to the Litespeed does not present much of change in feeling.
It is only when I switch bikes the other way that I notice it.
I realized that after an hour or so, I get used to whatever bike I am on.

Since the bikes are in two different parts of the country, I am not going back and forth on a regular basis, so will leave it all as is.

Check your saddle position fore-to-aft in relation to the cranck spindle centerline on both bikes. You may be able to lengthen or shorten one or the other to match more closely AND get the saddles more closely in the same position in relation to the crankset.

Since saddle lengths and widths vary, I'll assume you are using the same model saddle on both bikes, otherwise find the saddle centers and use that pencil line on the saddle as your reference point when checking your saddles for setback from the crank.

Same saddle and seat post on both bikes. Good thought. I will try that, but will not be able to do it until January, as one bike is in NY and the other is in KS :)