GJ - missed drug test????

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by patrick, May 29, 2004.

  1. patrick

    patrick Guest

    Hello????

    how on earth can she be allowed to start a world cup after missing a
    drug test? Yes, Yes, due process, etc... but did she miss it or not?
    and was the requirement for her number called also properly posted?
    those are the only two pertinent questions. If both are yes, then she
    should receive a ban. period.

    As an elite level athlete... it is the responsiblity of the RIDER
    (obviously, with the help and guidance of their manager..but it is
    ULTIMATELY the RIDER's RESPONSIBILITY to take the necessary steps to
    ensure compliance with the rules.

    GJ should receive the maximum ban available for this oversight. Only
    when the govenrning bodies (usa, canada, and all of the rest of the
    sporting world) takes an agressive stance.. then will people stop
    using drugs.

    I am in no way insinuating that she may have been doping or that she
    might have missed a test on purpose, but at every UCI event - a list
    is posted by the commisaires that indicates which rider number has
    been called for testing. When I helped at a UCI event (several years
    ago) one of the items that every single rider on the team was
    responsible to do after the event was to check and see if their number
    had been pulled. THey (the officials/commisaires) even discussed the
    names and numbers over race radio during the event - so every manager
    knew, but it still remained the RESPONSIBILITY of the RIDER to double
    check the POSTED list of drug tests.!!!!!

    It is a simple process and anyone who has competed in more then one
    UCI event has the full and complete understanding of where the drug
    tent/trailer/buidling (I believe it must be within 1k of the
    finish???) is located and should be aware of the procedures to ensure
    compliance. For someone who has been to many many many UCI level
    events (and also has a cloud hanging over her head already!@!!!) she
    should have been even more vigilant to comply. the fact that she
    'missed' a drug test should be treated with the harshest reality that
    is available to the UCI (and vis a vis, the usa cycling management as
    she has a USA license - but also re; the Canadians for her
    participation in other UCI/national team events).

    She SHOULD NOT NOT NOT be allowed to start the MOntreal WC. It is a
    FARCE of the RULES and makes drug testing a laughable proposition!

    just my 2 cents..

    Tags:

  2. patrick wrote:
    > Hello????
    >
    > how on earth can she be allowed to start a world cup after missing a
    > drug test? Yes, Yes, due process, etc... but did she miss it or not?
    > and was the requirement for her number called also properly posted?
    > those are the only two pertinent questions. If both are yes, then she
    > should receive a ban. period.
    >
    > As an elite level athlete... it is the responsiblity of the RIDER
    > (obviously, with the help and guidance of their manager..but it is
    > ULTIMATELY the RIDER's RESPONSIBILITY to take the necessary steps to
    > ensure compliance with the rules.
    >
    > GJ should receive the maximum ban available for this oversight. Only
    > when the govenrning bodies (usa, canada, and all of the rest of the
    > sporting world) takes an agressive stance.. then will people stop
    > using drugs.
    >
    > I am in no way insinuating that she may have been doping or that she
    > might have missed a test on purpose, but at every UCI event - a list
    > is posted by the commisaires that indicates which rider number has
    > been called for testing. When I helped at a UCI event (several years
    > ago) one of the items that every single rider on the team was
    > responsible to do after the event was to check and see if their number
    > had been pulled. THey (the officials/commisaires) even discussed the
    > names and numbers over race radio during the event - so every manager
    > knew, but it still remained the RESPONSIBILITY of the RIDER to double
    > check the POSTED list of drug tests.!!!!!
    >
    > It is a simple process and anyone who has competed in more then one
    > UCI event has the full and complete understanding of where the drug
    > tent/trailer/buidling (I believe it must be within 1k of the
    > finish???) is located and should be aware of the procedures to ensure
    > compliance. For someone who has been to many many many UCI level
    > events (and also has a cloud hanging over her head already!@!!!) she
    > should have been even more vigilant to comply. the fact that she
    > 'missed' a drug test should be treated with the harshest reality that
    > is available to the UCI (and vis a vis, the usa cycling management as
    > she has a USA license - but also re; the Canadians for her
    > participation in other UCI/national team events).
    >
    > She SHOULD NOT NOT NOT be allowed to start the MOntreal WC. It is a
    > FARCE of the RULES and makes drug testing a laughable proposition!
    >
    > just my 2 cents..

    even better is that this was a post race test. She'd already posted an
    anomolous A sample, but was cleared on her B sample. In this instance
    wouldn't one really really want to make sure they made the appointment?
    One wonders how a rider "forgets" a screening. What you just look at
    the UCI minder and say excuse me for a minute I have to.......

Share This Page