GPS Waypointa for Ben Nevis

Fp

Guest
Does anyone have or know of a reliable source for waypoints of the Ben Nevis 'walk'? I have the
summit co-ordinates, but I'm interested in the main footpath from Achintee House car park. Pls
respond to the ng. Thanks FP

"FP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone have or know of a reliable source for waypoints of the Ben
Nevis
> 'walk'? I have the summit co-ordinates, but I'm interested in the main footpath
from
> Achintee House car park. Pls respond to the ng. Thanks FP

Any route feedback or advice appreciated.

This will be my first visit to the area, previously only Snowdonia, Horshoe, Glyders etc...

Is the route reasonably easy going? I know it's a relatively long 4 hours + to the top.

It had been mentioned, that in bad weather the path, particularly after the zig zigs, can become
unclear. So I was after a little 'insurance' with the origianl waypoint request.

I can guarantee it will snow, be misty, pour with rain, or any combination of these ;-)

Thanks

FP

<SNIP>

> It had been mentioned, that in bad weather the path, particularly after the zig zigs, can become
> unclear. So I was after a little 'insurance' with the origianl waypoint request.
>
> I can guarantee it will snow, be misty, pour with rain, or any combination of these ;-)

This sounds like a fair assumption of the weather ;-)

With respect to the route I have only been up Ben Nevis once, however you should be aware of the
dangers involved if your navigation from the summit is not excellent when it is misty and there is
snow on the ground (you run the risk of ending up in Five Finger Gully).

I hope that the link below is of use to you since it describes the bearings and distances required
to reach the zigzags from the summit: http://www.scotclimb.org.uk/nevisplateau.html

Best wishes,

--
Andy Harbach email: [email protected] Walking in Snowdonia: http://www.walk-snowdonia.co.uk
UK Conditions Server: http://www.conditionsout.co.uk

"Andy Harbach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> <SNIP>
> > It had been mentioned, that in bad weather the path, particularly after
the
> > zig zigs, can become unclear. So I was after a little 'insurance' with
the
> > origianl waypoint request.
> >
> > I can guarantee it will snow, be misty, pour with rain, or any
combination
> > of these ;-)
>
> This sounds like a fair assumption of the weather ;-)
>
> With respect to the route I have only been up Ben Nevis once, however you should be aware of the
> dangers involved if your navigation from the summit is not excellent when it is misty and there is
> snow on the ground (you run the risk of ending up in Five Finger Gully). I hope that the link
> below is of use to you since it describes the bearings and distances required to reach the zigzags
> from the summit: http://www.scotclimb.org.uk/nevisplateau.html
>
> Best wishes, Andy Harbach email: [email protected] Walking in Snowdonia: http://www.walk-
> snowdonia.co.uk UK Conditions Server: http://www.conditionsout.co.uk

Thanks for the feedback. Seems like a real fun place to be, can't wait! ;-) Fraser

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:13:47 +0000, Andy Harbach
<[email protected]> wrote:

> http://www.scotclimb.org.uk/nevisplateau.html

It may also be useful to have a copy of the Harvey 1:25,000 map of Ben Nevis, as that has an
enlarged plan of the summit area at 1:12,500, plus similar advice regarding the bearings required to
avoid Gardyloo and Five Finger gullies.

--
Pete Bland

Related to Subject
Trail Magazine sorry for sending hikers to the edge;
Directions would lead climbers off a cliff on Britain's tallest peak
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4027665/

Combat "location mis-information" by sending me your Ben Nevis route data. I'd be happy to create a
page for climbing this notorious peak.
- Doug www.travelbygps.com Travel by GPS Maps Waypoints and Tracks to Adventure

http://www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk/safety/nevis_bearing.html
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]