GPS Waypointa for Ben Nevis

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Fp, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. Fp

    Fp Guest

    Does anyone have or know of a reliable source for waypoints of the Ben Nevis 'walk'? I have the
    summit co-ordinates, but I'm interested in the main footpath from Achintee House car park. Pls
    respond to the ng. Thanks FP

    Tags:

  2. Fp

    Fp Guest

    "FP" <NoOne@test.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have or know of a reliable source for waypoints of the Ben
    Nevis
    > 'walk'? I have the summit co-ordinates, but I'm interested in the main footpath
    from
    > Achintee House car park. Pls respond to the ng. Thanks FP

    Any route feedback or advice appreciated.

    This will be my first visit to the area, previously only Snowdonia, Horshoe, Glyders etc...

    Is the route reasonably easy going? I know it's a relatively long 4 hours + to the top.

    It had been mentioned, that in bad weather the path, particularly after the zig zigs, can become
    unclear. So I was after a little 'insurance' with the origianl waypoint request.

    I can guarantee it will snow, be misty, pour with rain, or any combination of these ;-)

    Thanks

    FP

  3. Andy Harbach

    Andy Harbach Guest

    <SNIP>

    > It had been mentioned, that in bad weather the path, particularly after the zig zigs, can become
    > unclear. So I was after a little 'insurance' with the origianl waypoint request.
    >
    > I can guarantee it will snow, be misty, pour with rain, or any combination of these ;-)

    This sounds like a fair assumption of the weather ;-)

    With respect to the route I have only been up Ben Nevis once, however you should be aware of the
    dangers involved if your navigation from the summit is not excellent when it is misty and there is
    snow on the ground (you run the risk of ending up in Five Finger Gully).

    I hope that the link below is of use to you since it describes the bearings and distances required
    to reach the zigzags from the summit: http://www.scotclimb.org.uk/nevisplateau.html

    Best wishes,

    --
    Andy Harbach email: andyharbach@abelgratis.com Walking in Snowdonia: http://www.walk-snowdonia.co.uk
    UK Conditions Server: http://www.conditionsout.co.uk

  4. Fp

    Fp Guest

    "Andy Harbach" <andy@walk-snowdonia.co.uk> wrote in message
    > <SNIP>
    > > It had been mentioned, that in bad weather the path, particularly after
    the
    > > zig zigs, can become unclear. So I was after a little 'insurance' with
    the
    > > origianl waypoint request.
    > >
    > > I can guarantee it will snow, be misty, pour with rain, or any
    combination
    > > of these ;-)
    >
    > This sounds like a fair assumption of the weather ;-)
    >
    > With respect to the route I have only been up Ben Nevis once, however you should be aware of the
    > dangers involved if your navigation from the summit is not excellent when it is misty and there is
    > snow on the ground (you run the risk of ending up in Five Finger Gully). I hope that the link
    > below is of use to you since it describes the bearings and distances required to reach the zigzags
    > from the summit: http://www.scotclimb.org.uk/nevisplateau.html
    >
    > Best wishes, Andy Harbach email: andyharbach@abelgratis.com Walking in Snowdonia: http://www.walk-
    > snowdonia.co.uk UK Conditions Server: http://www.conditionsout.co.uk

    Thanks for the feedback. Seems like a real fun place to be, can't wait! ;-) Fraser

  5. Pete Bland

    Pete Bland Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:13:47 +0000, Andy Harbach
    <andy@walk-snowdonia.co.uk> wrote:

    > http://www.scotclimb.org.uk/nevisplateau.html

    It may also be useful to have a copy of the Harvey 1:25,000 map of Ben Nevis, as that has an
    enlarged plan of the summit area at 1:12,500, plus similar advice regarding the bearings required to
    avoid Gardyloo and Five Finger gullies.

    --
    Pete Bland

  6. Related to Subject
    Trail Magazine sorry for sending hikers to the edge;
    Directions would lead climbers off a cliff on Britain's tallest peak
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4027665/

    Combat "location mis-information" by sending me your Ben Nevis route data. I'd be happy to create a
    page for climbing this notorious peak.
    - Doug www.travelbygps.com Travel by GPS Maps Waypoints and Tracks to Adventure

    http://www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk/safety/nevis_bearing.html
    --