hanging bikes

Haakon Studebaker

Guest
I am curious in regards to the benefits of hanging a bicycle instead of
simply standing it or propping it up in one's home or apartment.

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> I am curious in regards to the benefits of hanging a bicycle instead of
> simply standing it or propping it up in one's home or apartment.

It's less in the way, and it's less likely to get bumped and knocked
over.

Also, it generates internet questions with amusing responses. Check
the archives.

- Frank Krygowski

Haakon Studebaker wrote:

> I am curious in regards to the benefits of hanging a bicycle instead of
> simply standing it or propping it up in one's home or apartment.

It's difficult to bump your head on it if you simply stand it up.

Lethal injection is much more humane.

Bill "slow evening" S.

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 00:23:46 -0500, Haakon Studebaker wrote:

> I am curious in regards to the benefits of hanging a bicycle instead of
> simply standing it or propping it up in one's home or apartment.

For my part, I hang my bike because it's the only way I have a place for
it in my apartment. (I keep it in my bedroom so it's not a burden to
my roommates.) It's hanging on a rack mounted to the wall just above my
sliding closet doors. I have to duck under it a little to get into my
closet, but fortunately I am not particularly tall...

Also, hanging the bike keeps its dirty tires off of my carpet.

There were some pretty nice wall-mounted bike racks at Target recently,
with a small shelf to hold your helmit and gloves, for about $20 (IIRC).

--
Mark Shroyer
http://plaza.ufl.edu/mshroyer/

I also like hanging it in my gargage because it makes it easier on back
to work on it. It also looks cool.

Glenn

"Glenn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I also like hanging it in my gargage because it makes it easier on back
> to work on it. It also looks cool.
>
> Glenn

Well if there's no heating out there, it may look cool ;-)

Cheers, helen s

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> I am curious in regards to the benefits of hanging a bicycle instead of
> simply standing it or propping it up in one's home or apartment.

There are some practical reasons for hanging a bike, especially over
longer periods of time, like Winter.

Tires are mostly rubber, which is cured sap from the rubber tree, if
allowed to sit on cold concrete, the dampness from the concrete will
cause the rubber to rot. A tire on a hanging bike will stay dry,
because air is allowed to circulate around it.

Tires can also be deformed because they will go flat (from temperature
changes) then being allowed to sit with the bikes weight on them, you
will need new ones in the spring. By hanging the bike, the tires will
not have weight on them, and will be fine in the spring.

It gets the bike out of the way....

During riding season(s) the bike doesn't usually sit long enough, for
tire rot or deformation to be an issue, and the bike being in the way,
might encourage you to use it, rather then another transportation
method, like the car.

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> I am curious in regards to the benefits of hanging a bicycle instead of
> simply standing it or propping it up in one's home or apartment.

It teaches all those other bicycles a lesson.

Pat Lamb wrote:

> It teaches all those other bicycles a lesson.

LMAO!!! :D

Cheers,
--mike

--
Michael Erickson
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer

I submit that on or about Mon, 26 Sep 2005 23:23:46 -0500, the person
known to the court as Haakon Studebaker <[email protected]> made a
statement (<[email protected]> in Your
Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

>I am curious in regards to the benefits of hanging a bicycle instead of
>simply standing it or propping it up in one's home or apartment.

You must never do this!

Hanging a bike by its wheels is a really bad move, all of the free
ions in the rim sink to the bottom of the wheel, stretching the top
spokes, compressing the bottom spokes, and leaving a definite bulge
where the hanger was.

In addition, the butyl of the inner tube gradually deteriorates at the
top as the nitrogen sinks to the bottom, allowing the pure oxygen to
attack the black colouring of the butyl.Apparently only black inner
tubes are affected, so clear ones will be fine.The front forks are
also affected, as the are made to be in compression, and once the
compression is released, the kinetic tension is released, so
lengthening the forks.

The only way to keep the bike in good condition is to use it every
day!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> You might have a Mountain bike racer come by and hang off of it.
>> http://www.nikigudex.com/images/sportbook1.jpg

> Damn! They said they wouldn't publish that photo of me!

NEWSFLASH: Claire Petersky stuns rb.misc denizens with her shocking
admission that previous to her life as a roadie she used
to race Mountain Bikes. Her sponsors declined interviews
, pushing reporters off with mumbled comments of 'contract
negotiation', 'reconsider' and 'shameful'. Mrs. Petersky
could not be reached for comment.

In article <[email protected]>,
Dane Buson <[email protected]> wrote:

> Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> You might have a Mountain bike racer come by and hang off of it.
> >> http://www.nikigudex.com/images/sportbook1.jpg

> > Damn! They said they wouldn't publish that photo of me!

> NEWSFLASH: Claire Petersky stuns rb.misc denizens with her shocking
> admission that previous to her life as a roadie she used
> to race Mountain Bikes. Her sponsors declined interviews
> , pushing reporters off with mumbled comments of 'contract
> negotiation', 'reconsider' and 'shameful'. Mrs. Petersky
> could not be reached for comment.

It's definitely a side of Claire we haven't seen before.

Since we're bragging, I'd like to point out that this weekend I laid
smack down. I think that's good:

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews/September/9.27.0510.14AM04.shtml

Share & Enjoy,

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote: (clip) It's definitely a side of Claire we haven't
seen before.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As a serious amateur photographer, I can state that the photograph would be
improved if a full length mirror were hung on the wall. Then we would get
to see still another side of Claire.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Since we're bragging, I'd like to point out that this weekend I laid
> > smack down. I think that's good:
> >
> > http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews/September/9.27.0510.14AM04.shtml

> Hey, great! Congrats!
>
> So, are you into this cyclocross thing, or was this
> just a one-off lark?

Well, that was my first race. It will not likely be my last. Right now
it looks like the plan is to put very skinny (30 mm) cross tires on the
road bike and bring that and the MTB to the rest of the races this
season.

To put it briefly, I found 'cross racing pretty enjoyable and I show a
modicum of talent for it, so I shall continue to race it until it's not
fun. It makes for a nice no-pressure off-season activity, and for a lot
of reasons 'cross is a bit lower-key (at least in terms of attitude)
than road racing.