hanging bikes

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Haakon Studebaker, Sep 26, 2005.

  1. I am curious in regards to the benefits of hanging a bicycle instead of
    simply standing it or propping it up in one's home or apartment.

    Tags:

  2. Haakon Studebaker wrote:
    > I am curious in regards to the benefits of hanging a bicycle instead of
    > simply standing it or propping it up in one's home or apartment.

    It's less in the way, and it's less likely to get bumped and knocked
    over.

    Also, it generates internet questions with amusing responses. Check
    the archives.

    - Frank Krygowski

  3. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Haakon Studebaker wrote:

    > I am curious in regards to the benefits of hanging a bicycle instead of
    > simply standing it or propping it up in one's home or apartment.

    It's difficult to bump your head on it if you simply stand it up.

  4. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    Lethal injection is much more humane.

    Bill "slow evening" S.

  5. Mark Shroyer

    Mark Shroyer Guest

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 00:23:46 -0500, Haakon Studebaker wrote:

    > I am curious in regards to the benefits of hanging a bicycle instead of
    > simply standing it or propping it up in one's home or apartment.

    For my part, I hang my bike because it's the only way I have a place for
    it in my apartment. (I keep it in my bedroom so it's not a burden to
    my roommates.) It's hanging on a rack mounted to the wall just above my
    sliding closet doors. I have to duck under it a little to get into my
    closet, but fortunately I am not particularly tall...

    Also, hanging the bike keeps its dirty tires off of my carpet.

    There were some pretty nice wall-mounted bike racks at Target recently,
    with a small shelf to hold your helmit and gloves, for about $20 (IIRC).

    --
    Mark Shroyer
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/mshroyer/

  6. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    I also like hanging it in my gargage because it makes it easier on back
    to work on it. It also looks cool.

    Glenn

  7. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Glenn" <GlennMein@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >I also like hanging it in my gargage because it makes it easier on back
    > to work on it. It also looks cool.
    >
    > Glenn

    Well if there's no heating out there, it may look cool ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  8. The Wogster

    The Wogster Guest

    Haakon Studebaker wrote:
    > I am curious in regards to the benefits of hanging a bicycle instead of
    > simply standing it or propping it up in one's home or apartment.

    There are some practical reasons for hanging a bike, especially over
    longer periods of time, like Winter.

    Tires are mostly rubber, which is cured sap from the rubber tree, if
    allowed to sit on cold concrete, the dampness from the concrete will
    cause the rubber to rot. A tire on a hanging bike will stay dry,
    because air is allowed to circulate around it.

    Tires can also be deformed because they will go flat (from temperature
    changes) then being allowed to sit with the bikes weight on them, you
    will need new ones in the spring. By hanging the bike, the tires will
    not have weight on them, and will be fine in the spring.

    It gets the bike out of the way....

    During riding season(s) the bike doesn't usually sit long enough, for
    tire rot or deformation to be an issue, and the bike being in the way,
    might encourage you to use it, rather then another transportation
    method, like the car.

  9. Pat Lamb

    Pat Lamb Guest

    Haakon Studebaker wrote:
    > I am curious in regards to the benefits of hanging a bicycle instead of
    > simply standing it or propping it up in one's home or apartment.

    It teaches all those other bicycles a lesson.

  10. Pat Lamb wrote:

    > It teaches all those other bicycles a lesson.

    LMAO!!! :D

    Cheers,
    --mike

    --
    Michael Erickson
    Senior Technical Marketing Engineer

  11. I submit that on or about Mon, 26 Sep 2005 23:23:46 -0500, the person
    known to the court as Haakon Studebaker <heptapod@gmail.com> made a
    statement (<Xns96DDE3D27C41heptapodyahoocom@216.196.97.142> in Your
    Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

    >I am curious in regards to the benefits of hanging a bicycle instead of
    >simply standing it or propping it up in one's home or apartment.

    You must never do this!

    Hanging a bike by its wheels is a really bad move, all of the free
    ions in the rim sink to the bottom of the wheel, stretching the top
    spokes, compressing the bottom spokes, and leaving a definite bulge
    where the hanger was.

    In addition, the butyl of the inner tube gradually deteriorates at the
    top as the nitrogen sinks to the bottom, allowing the pure oxygen to
    attack the black colouring of the butyl.Apparently only black inner
    tubes are affected, so clear ones will be fine.The front forks are
    also affected, as the are made to be in compression, and once the
    compression is released, the kinetic tension is released, so
    lengthening the forks.

    The only way to keep the bike in good condition is to use it every
    day!

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  12. You might have a Mountain bike racer come by and hang off of it.
    http://www.nikigudex.com/images/sportbook1.jpg

    Haakon Studebaker wrote:
    > I am curious in regards to the benefits of hanging a bicycle instead of
    > simply standing it or propping it up in one's home or apartment.

  13. Rich

    Rich Guest

  14. Dane Buson

    Dane Buson Guest

    Claire Petersky <cpetersky@mousepotato.com> wrote:
    > <mike.a.schwab@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> You might have a Mountain bike racer come by and hang off of it.
    >> http://www.nikigudex.com/images/sportbook1.jpg

    > Damn! They said they wouldn't publish that photo of me!

    NEWSFLASH: Claire Petersky stuns rb.misc denizens with her shocking
    admission that previous to her life as a roadie she used
    to race Mountain Bikes. Her sponsors declined interviews
    , pushing reporters off with mumbled comments of 'contract
    negotiation', 'reconsider' and 'shameful'. Mrs. Petersky
    could not be reached for comment.

  15. In article <0h6r03-pvo.ln1@zuvembi.homelinux.org>,
    Dane Buson <dane@unseen.edu> wrote:

    > Claire Petersky <cpetersky@mousepotato.com> wrote:
    > > <mike.a.schwab@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> You might have a Mountain bike racer come by and hang off of it.
    > >> http://www.nikigudex.com/images/sportbook1.jpg

    > > Damn! They said they wouldn't publish that photo of me!

    > NEWSFLASH: Claire Petersky stuns rb.misc denizens with her shocking
    > admission that previous to her life as a roadie she used
    > to race Mountain Bikes. Her sponsors declined interviews
    > , pushing reporters off with mumbled comments of 'contract
    > negotiation', 'reconsider' and 'shameful'. Mrs. Petersky
    > could not be reached for comment.

    It's definitely a side of Claire we haven't seen before.

    Since we're bragging, I'd like to point out that this weekend I laid
    smack down. I think that's good:

    http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews/September/9.27.0510.14AM04.shtml

    Share & Enjoy,

    --
    Ryan Cousineau rcousine@sfu.ca http://www.wiredcola.com/

  16. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "Ryan Cousineau" wrote: (clip) It's definitely a side of Claire we haven't
    seen before.(clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    As a serious amateur photographer, I can state that the photograph would be
    improved if a full length mirror were hung on the wall. Then we would get
    to see still another side of Claire.

  17. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Wed, 28 Sep 2005 06:00:51 -0700,
    <433a9400$0$49015$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>,
    "Claire Petersky" <cpetersky@mousepotato.com> wrote:

    ><mike.a.schwab@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> You might have a Mountain bike racer come by and hang off of it.
    >> http://www.nikigudex.com/images/sportbook1.jpg

    >Damn! They said they wouldn't publish that photo of me!

    Did you get it in writing?

    It looks like they published at least six more too.
    --
    zk

  18. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <rcousine-044A7B.19021128092005@news.telus.net>,
    Ryan Cousineau <rcousine@sfu.ca> writes:

    > Since we're bragging, I'd like to point out that this weekend I laid
    > smack down. I think that's good:
    >
    > http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews/September/9.27.0510.14AM04.shtml

    Hey, great! Congrats!

    So, are you into this cyclocross thing, or was this
    just a one-off lark?

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  19. In article <gtehhd.2qo.ln@bud.garden.local>,
    tkeats2005@hotmail.com (Tom Keats) wrote:

    > In article <rcousine-044A7B.19021128092005@news.telus.net>,
    > Ryan Cousineau <rcousine@sfu.ca> writes:
    >
    > > Since we're bragging, I'd like to point out that this weekend I laid
    > > smack down. I think that's good:
    > >
    > > http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews/September/9.27.0510.14AM04.shtml

    > Hey, great! Congrats!
    >
    > So, are you into this cyclocross thing, or was this
    > just a one-off lark?

    Well, that was my first race. It will not likely be my last. Right now
    it looks like the plan is to put very skinny (30 mm) cross tires on the
    road bike and bring that and the MTB to the rest of the races this
    season.

    To put it briefly, I found 'cross racing pretty enjoyable and I show a
    modicum of talent for it, so I shall continue to race it until it's not
    fun. It makes for a nice no-pressure off-season activity, and for a lot
    of reasons 'cross is a bit lower-key (at least in terms of attitude)
    than road racing.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau rcousine@sfu.ca http://www.wiredcola.com/

Share This Page