having some paint...down there ( sensitive topic )

esoteric

Jan 31, 2006
First let me say i feel a bit weird putting this out in the public view, but i feel it may be something some of you may have experinced before. I always have gotten good feedback from the users here. Last year i rode alot over the summer ( got my bike at the end of spring) In september I started to get a pain in my left testicle, At first i thought it would go away, per haps i strained something. The pain presisted in to october, so in late oct i decided enough was enough and i went to see a uroligist. I saw the doc and had an ultra sound. The only thing he could find was a slightly enflamed epidermal layer. After some antibiotics the pain stopped. I didnt get back on the bike again until this march, didnt ride to much in the spring due to it not being very good weather, but summer is in full swing and ive been out for at least a 15-25mi ride almost every day of the week. The pain has returned. I will be going to see the doctor again, that goes with out saying. I want to know if anyone has encountered this problem. My current setup is a trek 1500 with a Bontrager Race Lux saddle. which to my knowledge isnt the best seat, but it hasnt hurt my tail end up to this point. Some feedback on this please, and if you think it all comes back to the saddle please leave som suggestions on the proper saddle to use. again thanks in advance.

josh.

Well I'll chip in my 2 cents even though I haven't had this specific problem. I have owned a Bontragor saddle before and it absolutely killed my crotch. My current favorite is the Fizik Pogio that came with my Cannondale, not super cheap, not super light but a good saddle.

Here are some things that can make your saddle fit better:
1) Find a seat post that lets you tilt the saddle down slightly
2) Experiment with the horizontal position of your seat. I have short thighs so I sit far forward and initially when I had my seat far back I was always tending to the nose and this hurt. This could work vice verse too. This sort of deal could be putting pressure on the tender parts.
3) Is your saddle narrow? I have tried wide saddles before on a road bike and they put all kinds of pressure in wierd places.

esoteric said:
First let me say i feel a bit weird putting this out in the public view, but i feel it may be something some of you may have experinced before. I always have gotten good feedback from the users here. Last year i rode alot over the summer ( got my bike at the end of spring) In september I started to get a pain in my left testicle, At first i thought it would go away, per haps i strained something. The pain presisted in to october, so in late oct i decided enough was enough and i went to see a uroligist. I saw the doc and had an ultra sound. The only thing he could find was a slightly enflamed epidermal layer. After some antibiotics the pain stopped. I didnt get back on the bike again until this march, didnt ride to much in the spring due to it not being very good weather, but summer is in full swing and ive been out for at least a 15-25mi ride almost every day of the week. The pain has returned. I will be going to see the doctor again, that goes with out saying. I want to know if anyone has encountered this problem. My current setup is a trek 1500 with a Bontrager Race Lux saddle. which to my knowledge isnt the best seat, but it hasnt hurt my tail end up to this point. Some feedback on this please, and if you think it all comes back to the saddle please leave som suggestions on the proper saddle to use. again thanks in advance.

josh.

Hey, I too ride a Trek 1500. I've had 'issues' until recently. I upgraded to the Fizik Arione saddle, but ALSO, *adjusted the seat tilt.*

I think the 'default' seat tilt maybe too high, I would try that out by lowering it. A good saddle is CRITICAL.

I would definitly recommend a new saddle because your current bontrager is probably inflaming your boys. If you ever have extreme pain in your testicle, get to the hospital right away because it could be a testicular torsion. Just last tuesday, I went to the hospital at 4am in crucial pain and was in surgery 2 hours later. It was a testicular torsion and it hurt!! Luckily for me, my testicle survived and that's just one less thing i have in common with Lance. lol Tomorrow, I am riding for the first time in 10 days...

thanksfor the resonces, yes the current bontrager is very wide, So i was thinking saddle. and the til sounds like a very good idea aswell. as for the testical torsion, i dont think it is that. thisis just an ache that comes and goes, its more presistant when im out alot riding. I took this week off due to an ankel sprain and it hasnt been to much of a problem this week. again thanks for the advice ill go have a look at this saddle. if anyone else hasanything to add please feel free.

THe pain might not be torsional...

I recently had an issue and it was related to my prostate.
I basically went for 10 days feeling like someone was squeezing one of the boys ... actually for the first five days it felt like the aftermath of a good kick to the groin.... ... an hourly kick that is.

I've never been in so much discomfort in my life!!!

I went to the local doctor a few times, went for Ultrasounds and had more people 'jostle the boys' in 10 days that the other 30 years of my life haahah

After speaking to a Urologist the diagnosis was 'reflux'. 'Reflux' happens sometimes when your prostate is compressed on a poorly suited bike seat setup and it allows/causes urine to pass back down the tubes towards the testes. These tubes are one way pipes and not designed to carry urine.
And it caused inflamation/irritation.

This may be your problem.

So definitely go for a revised seat configuration and potentially consider a new seat if you've still got not joy.

Cheers
Antony

WrxAnt said:
THe pain might not be torsional...

I recently had an issue and it was related to my prostate.
I basically went for 10 days feeling like someone was squeezing one of the boys ... actually for the first five days it felt like the aftermath of a good kick to the groin.... ... an hourly kick that is.

I've never been in so much discomfort in my life!!!

I went to the local doctor a few times, went for Ultrasounds and had more people 'jostle the boys' in 10 days that the other 30 years of my life haahah

After speaking to a Urologist the diagnosis was 'reflux'. 'Reflux' happens sometimes when your prostate is compressed on a poorly suited bike seat setup and it allows/causes urine to pass back down the tubes towards the testes. These tubes are one way pipes and not designed to carry urine.
And it caused inflamation/irritation.

This may be your problem.

So definitely go for a revised seat configuration and potentially consider a new seat if you've still got not joy.

Cheers
Antony

Anthony, it sounds like you have hit the nail on the head here. I am seeing my doctor next week, and will bring this up. Again thanks for the info! your case sounds very very similar to my own! Hopefully ill be riding pain free in the next few week!

I've had similar, yet different experiences. I've used the same model seat for the past 5 years, and have never had problems with it; however, after not cycling for a year or so, I started having issues with genital numbness and testicular pain. My weight/body composition hasn't really changed, and I figured it couldn't be the seat, but I DID have a different bike. I dropped the nose of the seat a bit, did some other minor adjustments, and GOT NEW SHORTS with better padding. ****** problem solved.

are you using cycling shorts? If not, you might be smashing your balls against the sides of the seat.