Hershey buying Scharffen Berger Chocolate Co.

Leila

Guest
>From the SF Chronicle:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/07/26/BUGM6DTAOM1.DTL

"Scharffen Berger, a Berkeley company that specializes in premium dark
chocolates, will continue making its products as normal but said it
will have greater access to resources and growth opportunities by
joining forces with Hershey.
"Scharffen Berger markets to the refined palate and seeks to be
approached like a fine wine. Its best-selling products include
bittersweet and extra-dark chocolates. The company has retail stores in
Berkeley, San Francisco and New York. Its products also are available
in high-end supermarkets."

(quoted under fair use)

Leila

In article <[email protected]>,
Leila <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Scharffen Berger markets to the refined palate and seeks to be
>approached like a fine wine. Its best-selling products include
>bittersweet and extra-dark chocolates. The company has retail stores in
>Berkeley, San Francisco and New York. Its products also are available
>in high-end supermarkets."

This gives me more confidence in my theory: Scharffen Berger is a
sham. Here they are, announcing that they are being acquired by the
king of mass market, low quality chocolate, and simultaneously
claiming the high end of the market.

I've tasted their packaged goods many times, and I find them lacking.
The chocolate has a weird sour (not bitter) taste that is not
pleasant.

It is also quite expensive.
--
David Arnstein
[email protected]

David Arnstein wrote:

> This gives me more confidence in my theory: Scharffen Berger is a
> sham. Here they are, announcing that they are being acquired by the
> king of mass market, low quality chocolate, and simultaneously
> claiming the high end of the market.
>
> I've tasted their packaged goods many times, and I find them lacking.
> The chocolate has a weird sour (not bitter) taste that is not
> pleasant.
>
> It is also quite expensive.

Yep. It doesn't hold a candle to Michel Cluizel or Valrhona. It's
decidedly one-dimensional. It's the typical American thing -- some
rich guys start a company in an area that interests them, learn as
much as they can, and hang out a shingle. European chocolatiers
have decades of experience, access to growers, etc. There's
just no substitute for the kind of knowledge in depth that comes
from growing up in what has been a hereditary craft.

Of course, that's what's great about America -- you don't have to
apprentice for seven years to become a sushi chef. OTOH that's
what's not so great about America -- you eat sushi made by guys who
didn't study for seven years to become a sushi chef.