Holdsworth Professional

sieuk1

Apr 5, 2005
I have a Black and White Holdsworth Professional mid 80's racer, it has the Little known Shimano Sante groupset, and reynolds 531 comp tubing, Wolber gtx grey rims.

Does anbody know anything about this bike it was bought mid 80's and has been sitting in my garage ever since and is in excellect condition, i have treid to search for information on it but the closest i can find is the holdsworth triath-elan. which has very similar colours but not the same groupset.

would also be intrested in the current value of it.

cheers

simon

sieuk1 said:
would also be intrested in the current value of it.
I don't have the faintest. That said, it's a beauty. How'd you get a hold of it? Is is something you used to ride, or did you rescue it from somewhere?

Its the bike i bought when i was 13yrs of age and rode it untill i was 16yrs, it was bought new from a shop in south yorkshire uk, other than that i have no info on it, but would like to know more, i am also thinking of putting it on ebay, but not sure of what i should be asking for it.

some further photos:

lokstah said:
I don't have the faintest. That said, it's a beauty. How'd you get a hold of it? Is is something you used to ride, or did you rescue it from somewhere?

sieuk1 said:
Its the bike i bought when i was 13yrs of age and rode it untill i was 16yrs, it was bought new from a shop in south yorkshire uk, other than that i have no info on it, but would like to know more, i am also thinking of putting it on ebay, but not sure of what i should be asking for it.

some further photos:
Well, I'd wager it's not worth too much--if you sell it, sell it with the intention of making only the smallest profit and hope to be surprised. There are, after all, many, many, many dated mid-level and low-end steel road bikes drifting around, and only the rarest and most unusual tend to be valuable.

That said, I'm not an authority on (presumably) British road bikes from the 1980s. Maybe someone can shed light on some aspect of this baby which I'm unaware of; maybe it's a priceless classic.

In any case, it's sharp-looking and seems to have been well maintained. Gotta love the blazing white crankarms (how'd you keep those clean?). Good work!

Why do you think im so tall ? does the frame look big or someting ? 5ft 10 thats all.
simon

Powerful Pete said:
Jeez, how tall are you, a two meters twenty? That is one large frame...

Can anybody help, this was a post from quite a few years ago, I’m trying to find a photo of my old bike which I’m now trying to trace and get back now Iv got back into cycling, this post seems to be the only location that I uploaded photos to but they seem to have vanished from the thread, any ideas how or if I can get them back from the site ??? Here’s hoping, cheers Simon

Holdsworth Pro not worth much? I'm not so sure about that, but if I had I would keep it! If it was made in 86 and after those were not very good since they were bought out by the Marlboro that made the value of the bike drop, but yours is between 83 to 85 because just those years had the white with black graphics so the Marlboro curse is not on yours.

The only thing I'm baffled about with your bike is the Sante groupset, all the Pros I've seen had Campy Super Record groupsets! that being said the Sante groupset wasn't no slouch, it ranked very favorably against Campy's top offerings and was probably more durable. You can read about the Sante here, a very interesting read: http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Shimano_Sante_derailleur_5001_LS.html It's actually quite an amazing groupset, not as amazing in shifting and durablity as the Suntour higher end stuff but was darn close, it was Shimano's answer to Suntour. The only reason I can think that your bike came with the Sante was due to it's white pieces, so as to match the bike color the Sante was put on...but it still baffles me for all the reasons I mentioned earlier. I couldn't find any reference on the internet about any Holdsworth bikes having Shimano components from the factory, maybe someone here can check as well.

I think the Sante groupset may hurt the value of the bike vs if it had Campy SR, if you go to Ebay the Sante's don't bring much money at all. For example I found a Sante crankset for $200, but a Campy SR was $500! And Campy SR wasn't as good in shifting quality or durability as the Sante was!

Back in the mid 70's when I decided to get a Trek TX900 I was seriously considering a Holdsworth Pro, they were very well made and looked fantastic, but they were more expensive the upstart Treks were so I went with the Trek.

If you go on the internet the 70's era Pro series in mint condition go for around $2500, but those have Campy stuff too and were handmade, yours they went into mass production but were done very well. I would say, based on what I've seen, that yours is probably around $750 if in mint condition, but that is a rough guess.

You have a very nice bike, I hope you don't sell it. If the bike was bought new by you and it came from the dealer with the Sante group from the factory that way it could be a rare find, but unfortunately not a valuable find. Either that or the dealer stripped the Campy stuff off to put on a different bike then