Holiday planning - Picos de Europa

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just Visiting, Apr 4, 2007.

  1. It's that time of year again where I start thinking about holidays and
    someone recommended the Picos de Europa to me recently. Having had a quick
    look it looks like a good destination... but anyone have any opinions/good
    places to stay/good places to drink etc etc about it?

    Tags:

  2. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    Just Visiting wrote:
    > It's that time of year again where I start thinking about holidays and
    > someone recommended the Picos de Europa to me recently. Having had a quick
    > look it looks like a good destination... but anyone have any opinions/good
    > places to stay/good places to drink etc etc about it?

    I've been there a couple of times. Based myself at Arenas de Cabrales
    http://www.foros.com/cabrales/index.htm
    there are a lot of hotels and pensiones in the town. I think the one I
    stayed in was called el Castana.
    Arenas is famous for its cheese and there are lots of rides on and
    off-road. Lagos de Covadonga, the Coast etc.
    Drinks - in Asturias it's cider. Strrong and tasy!
    Take the FEVE train from Santander into the mountains.
    http://www.feverail.com/03/mapa.pdf
    Bikes are allowed on all the trains and it avoids the city traffic.
    Highly recommended - in fact I may go there for the Vuelta again this year.
    Enjoy
    All the best
    Dan Gregory

Share This Page