Homophobia amoungst cyclists

ajcoles

May 17, 2003
Considering the response I got from one of the other members on the Bill Clinton poll I decided to make a poll to determine how prevailent homophobia is amoungst cyclists. I live in a very liberal city so if other cyclists had a problem with homophobia they may well keep it to themselves,

ajcoles said:
Considering the response I got from one of the other members on the Bill Clinton poll I decided to make a poll to determine how prevailent homophobia is amoungst cyclists. I live in a very liberal city so if other cyclists had a problem with homophobia they may well keep it to themselves,
It exists everywhere, like any social ill.

I think searching for homophobia in cycling, as opposed to elsewhere, is like questioning whether vegetarians live in two story houses. Some do, and others live in condos, single-floor houses, apartments, or 4 story mansions.

It might be more common in sports that have more prevalent tough-guy cultures than cycling -- Nascar, the rodeo, or football, for instance.

Ultimately, though, any cross-section of society will reveal cultural biases and shades of bigotry.

Since we are all diploid in origin, the base reference should be heterophillic. Now if by some fault the instincts of species preservation have been deformed to a heterophobic state, root cause analysis will show a structural defect in the nurturing of the defective organism during its formative growth stage.

Weisse Luft said:
Since we are all diploid in origin, the base reference should be heterophillic. Now if by some fault the instincts of species preservation have been deformed to a heterophobic state, root cause analysis will show a structural defect in the nurturing of the defective organism during its formative growth stage.
In other words, he's a homophobe! :D

ajcoles said:
How do you define Homophobia?

I see boorish people mouth off indiscriminantly to a wide cross section of society, homosexuals included, every day. Why they do it is a matter for the psychoanalysts to determine, but just because someone is negative towards gay people, or expresses their non-pc opinions about them to anyone who will listen, doesn't necessarily mean they are homophobic.

A phobia is a great or abnormal fear of something that can manifest itself through various degrees of physical paralysis and/or irrationality. From screaming and writhing on the floor, gibbering like a mad person because you cannot stand to leave the house or rocking on your haunches whilst scanning the ceiling for spiders, these are phobias.

Calling someone a *** because it amuses a person to put people down (satisfying a need to be cruel perhaps), or criticising the way someone dresses or speaks does not make them homophobic. A tool yes, but a homophobe, no.

For me, the inappropriate use of this word is just so glaringly manipulative, it irks me constantly. Particularly when someone calls me a homophobe just for sticking up for myself in the face of illogical and unfair criticism.

By the same logic, I could call anyone who is aggressive towards me a sociopath.

F.

Weisse Luft said:
No, I am a heterophile. A properly functioning example of the species.

Meaning that you are attracted to heteros, which can be both male and female... so in conclusion you are bisexual! G :D

wadoflove said:
Meaning that you are attracted to heteros, which can be both male and female... so in conclusion you are bisexual! G :D

Associated with, not attracted to.

Things that make me wonder:

I have seen vegans eat fake meat.

I have seen vegans drink soy milk and eat soy cheese.

I have seen lesbians buy dildos.

Weisse Luft said:
I have seen vegans eat fake meat.

I have seen vegans drink soy milk and eat soy cheese.

I have seen lesbians buy dildos.
I should like to visit this place of yours, Wessie; this soy, *****, lesbian utopia you frequent.

lokstah said:
I should like to visit this place of yours, Wessie; this soy, *****, lesbian utopia you frequent.

This thread is starting to take a twisted turn and I have to say I like that. :)

Weisse Luft said:
No, I am a heterophile. A properly functioning example of the species.
Hmmm...the dictionary says:

Heterophile - relating to or being any of a group of organisms of different species which will cross-react with others of the group.

Cross-react? Sounds kinda bisexual to me. :D

People that make ME wonder:

Michael Jackson :eek:

Debra LaFave :p

Diehard Bushies :rolleyes:

You know...

I have seen Christains kill

I have seen married folks cheat

AND I have seen nuclear weapons used for peace

The world is full of contradictions.

I am a lesbian and I dont own a *****.

I am a vegetarian and I dont eat anything that *tastes* like meat.

I have degrees in Biology as well as Religion.

Accept diversity.

Oh, and I am a very well-functioning member of society.

e

Israeli society is basically quite homophobic, but tolerant in practice. The same applies to cyclists. There are some male cyclists who are more concerned with their masculinity, especially the younger ones, so I have seen some cyclers who are not so tolerant... Being homosexual myself, I haven't experienced it though, because my cycling friends are great people and I couldn't care less about what others have to say. Bottom line, cyclers are generally more open and friendlier than most people, maybe because we are a discriminated minority as cyclers, too :rolleyes: .
BTW, there are very few homosexual cyclers in Israel, more females than males, but one is a leading triathlete, quite famous and very "out", which also helps making cyclers more aware and open-minded.

ItsikH said:
Israeli society is basically quite homophobic, but tolerant in practice. The same applies to cyclists. There are some male cyclists who are more concerned with their masculinity, especially the younger ones, so I have seen some cyclers who are not so tolerant... Being homosexual myself, I haven't experienced it though, because my cycling friends are great people and I couldn't care less about what others have to say. Bottom line, cyclers are generally more open and friendlier than most people, maybe because we are a discriminated minority as cyclers, too :rolleyes: .
BTW, there are very few homosexual cyclers in Israel, more females than males, but one is a leading triathlete, quite famous and very "out", which also helps making cyclers more aware and open-minded.

I lived in Kfar Sava for about 3 months a long, long time ago on a high school study program. Where do you ride in Israel. It has been about 6 years since I was last there, but I don't recall the roads being very cyclist friendly.

larry barr said:
I lived in Kfar Sava for about 3 months a long, long time ago on a high school study program. Where do you ride in Israel. It has been about 6 years since I was last there, but I don't recall the roads being very cyclist friendly.
You could say that again :eek: ! I consider road cycling in Israel an extreme sport... There are beautiful roads, with less traffic, if you are willing to travel a little. Tomorrow I intend to cycle from Be'er-Sheva to Eilat, which is about 240 km, of which only the first 30 are busy, and the last 160 are practically empty desert, even though tomorrow is Friday and it is a holiday so we expect a bit more traffic than usual. There are some great desert views along the way. If we have time we will do Akrabim Ascent on the way back - 3 km of steep twisted climb with a great view to Tsin valley, and later on through the coloured rocks of the craters.
Another beautiful road is the old road to Jerusalem - the holy grail climb for cyclers here. I believe it is the hardest climb in the country, and I have done most of them, and also many in Spain - this is indeed a tough one, short though (only 8 km) with a great view, especially on clear days. There are other beautiful roads near Jerusalem.
There are many more beautiful roads in the Galillee and mt. Carmel, but traffic there is usually busier. Golan heights and mt. Hermon are famous cycling challenges, not only because they are quite difficult but also because of the treacherous weather and winds. Golan used to be the location of many competitions, road and off-road. The air up there is incredibly clear and cool, with very little traffic.

ItsikH said:
You could say that again :eek: ! I consider road cycling in Israel an extreme sport... There are beautiful roads, with less traffic, if you are willing to travel a little. Tomorrow I intend to cycle from Be'er-Sheva to Eilat, which is about 240 km, of which only the first 30 are busy, and the last 160 are practically empty desert, even though tomorrow is Friday and it is a holiday so we expect a bit more traffic than usual. There are some great desert views along the way. If we have time we will do Akrabim Ascent on the way back - 3 km of steep twisted climb with a great view to Tsin valley, and later on through the coloured rocks of the craters.
Another beautiful road is the old road to Jerusalem - the holy grail climb for cyclers here. I believe it is the hardest climb in the country, and I have done most of them, and also many in Spain - this is indeed a tough one, short though (only 8 km) with a great view, especially on clear days. There are other beautiful roads near Jerusalem.
There are many more beautiful roads in the Galillee and mt. Carmel, but traffic there is usually busier. Golan heights and mt. Hermon are famous cycling challenges, not only because they are quite difficult but also because of the treacherous weather and winds. Golan used to be the location of many competitions, road and off-road. The air up there is incredibly clear and cool, with very little traffic.

I lived on Kibbutz Sede Boker in 1979 and am familiar with that part of the country, it is quite beautiful, as is the north. Jerusalem of course speaks for itself. I will be back visiting with my family next year, though I think my wife will look at me like I have twelve heads if I bring up the idea of bringing my bike along. My brother in law lives north in Naharia, which would be our base of operations.

PLEASE continue with cycling in Israel! That is on my list of cycling vacation spots, right after Denali.

Weisse Luft said:
PLEASE continue with cycling in Israel! That is on my list of cycling vacation spots, right after Denali.

Didn't mean to get off topic, but it seemed a heck of a lot more interesting than the original topic. Denali is beautiful by the way.