Houston's Cheesy Bread with Buttermilk Garlic Ranch Dressing

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by weedwalker, Dec 6, 2007.

  1. weedwalker

    weedwalker Guest

    > Subject: houston's cheesy bread w/buttermilk garlic ranch dressing
    > From: michele <reci...@swcp.com>
    > Houston's Cheesy Bread W/Buttermilk Garlic Ranch Dressing
    > this is not on their menu, but believe me...it is THAT good, that

    everyone
    > I know requests it when they go

    Houston's Cheesy Bread with Buttermilk Garlic Ranch Dressing

    Hi!

    I can help you with the Houston's Cheese Toast recipe. I worked there
    for years as a hostess and server, and one of the most hated morning
    duties for servers was making the cheese toast. It had to be made up
    ahead of time by the panful, and we did it using an assembly line
    technique. Here's the way we did it:

    The bread was some kind of good hoagie rolls. Not hot dog buns, but
    something you'd eat a sub sandwich or a grinder on. It was cut open
    like a sandwich roll, the cut sides were dipped into clarified butter,
    then the roll was put back together.
    The next person halved the roll down its length and then halved across
    its width (8 pieces), then placed the pieces cut-side-up on a sturdy
    half-sheet pan.

    The next person covered the whole thing with about a 1-inch layer of
    shredded (big shreds) mild cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese.
    The last person shook a mixture of parmesan cheese, a little paprika
    and a little garlic (around 1 cup / 1/8 t. / 1-2 t. ratio) over the
    whole tray.
    The trays were heated in the oven (or broiler - it's been a long time)
    until the cheese melted, then kept warm under heat lamps for serving.
    We would have to make dozens and dozens of these trays each day
    because of the bread's popularity.

    I hope you enjoy this. It's the real thing. Simple and delicious.

    Buttermilk Garlic Ranch Dressing

    I also have some advice on the buttermilk garlic dressing. There is a
    recipe floating around the internet that is NOT it, but you'll find it
    everywhere. I've made it and it doesn't taste anything like real
    dressing. I have been working to develop a clone for years, and here
    is the closest I've come:

    1 cup mayonnaise
    3/4 cup buttermilk
    1 to 1 1/2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed (minced very fine)
    1/4 tsp. kosher salt
    1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper (this is a lot, but it's necessary)
    1 tsp. dry mustard
    1 1/2 tsp. onion powder

    Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth. Refrigerate. The flavor
    is better after a couple of hours. Play with this and see what you think.
    I have tried it side-by-side with the actual Buttermilk garlic dressing
    from the restaurant, and find that it lacks a bit of "eggy" flavor. Since
    nothing tastes like eggs but eggs, I can only assume there must be eggs
    involved in the recipe, but I've been told that's not the case. Perhaps a
    bit of buttermilk powder would do the trick?

    It you figure it out, I hope you'll share!
    Elizabeth

    --
    Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D. Hill at recipes@swcp.com.
    Archives: http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com/