How did you discover the true nature of the Wal-Mart mongoose?

Darjevon

Feb 26, 2005
I have no idea if this is correct, but I assume that most moderately good to expert cyclists have a story to tell about the time they discovered that Dual Suspension Advance Alloy Frame Bikes bought in finer American institutions such as K-mart or Wal-mart for $150 are absolute s**t.

In my case, I had a friend with a homemade bicycle ramp. I thoroughly enjoyed abusing my Peugeot Tigershark road bike by flying it several feet into the air then crashing it hard on the pavement - as far is I was concerned, a successful jump was one that did not involve helmet-pavement contact.

One day, I decided to try out a new Project X mongoose with Mozo shocks and Advance Aluminum 6061 construction on my friend's little ramp. I flew farther and higher than I'd ever jumped before; I loved the Mongoose; but then I landed. With a hiss the front shock went down like a WW2 fighter with the engines ablaze, and the rear shock compressed as far as it could, and before I knew it I went over the handlebars as the shock expanded again, and I hit my helmet hard. My bike, a missile freshly forged from 6061 aluminum, hit me hard in the back. Luckily I wasn't too badly injured - just a huge bruise on my back.

Feeling like an idiot and hoping other cyclists have similar experiences -
Jojo

Crossing the street on my way home from work.
after just 5 MONTHS of daily riding the left pedal snapped of in traffic. I was on the balacktop before i had a chance to say "oh F***!" and looking up into a mini van coming at me . Thank heaven the driver was a good one !I don't know who was more scared, me or her!
MY mother took it back ( she was the one that bought it out of pity for me when my Ironhorse was stolen) raised cain and a giftcard for the Bike's price, which was enough to rehabilitate a little Centurion found at a thift shop .

How about them stinky cannondales....the ones from early nineties/80's....between me and my buddy we racked up 6 broken frames without any mega-jumps at all. 2 downtubes cracked, 1 chainstay cracked, 2 seatpost cracks and a gee-whiz how'd ya do that top tube crack. Cracking the downtubes is the scariest....when you only notice (too late) when bombing down a cobblestone street in wet seattle.
I went steel brodie and kona while he went special ed M2....and are all upandrunnin with no probs. after 10 years use..........so, I think I'd take a walmart bike over early conondale any day.

brownplus said:
How about them stinky cannondales....the ones from early nineties/80's....between me and my buddy we racked up 6 broken frames without any mega-jumps at all. 2 downtubes cracked, 1 chainstay cracked, 2 seatpost cracks and a gee-whiz how'd ya do that top tube crack. Cracking the downtubes is the scariest....when you only notice (too late) when bombing down a cobblestone street in wet seattle.
I went steel brodie and kona while he went special ed M2....and are all upandrunnin with no probs. after 10 years use..........so, I think I'd take a walmart bike over early conondale any day.
my bud bought a Marin Quake a few summers ago, cost £1500 ($3000 USD). I asked for a go and flew over a small jump and snapped clean the rear dropuot holding on the back wheel. The bike was 2 days old....i slowly creeped a away from the guy as he started turning red with rage...

we laughed about it in the pub later because it was under warranty....soft yank shite the Marins anyway....i told him that it was good it broke when i was on it, imagine if he had been tearing down some steep slope and it broke at 40mph? He would be picking gravel out his **** for weeks.

Nah...Marin...steer clear.