How do you fix scuff and chips on a composite frame?

mr_tin

Feb 16, 2006
Just got a TCR composite frame and fork from Ebay, it's got a clear coat finish. It's in great shape other than a few scuffs and a couple of small chips.

Does anyone have advice on how to polish out the scuffs? and, what can I use to fill in the chips?

After all everything looks OK what's the best way to polish the whole frame and keep it looking good?

Thanks for any advice.

I've used clear fingernail polish to cover a small, non-structural blemish in a clearcoat finish. I've used a citrus cleaner or Pledge furniture polish to clean it up nice, but I don't think that'd take scuffs out of a clearcoat finish.

Super glue or clear nail polish remover for chips. Scuffs should come out with whatever scratch remover/wax that you can get at your local auto parts store.

artmichalek said:
Super glue or clear nail polish remover for chips. Scuffs should come out with whatever scratch remover/wax that you can get at your local auto parts store.
Did you mean to say clear nail polish? Too bad there wasn't a "chip" remover.

mr_tin said:
Did you mean to say clear nail polish? Too bad there wasn't a "chip" remover.
That's what I get for typing a reply before I've finished my coffee. Nail polish remover (acetone) can in fact be used to smooth out a clear coat chip. It won't hurt the carbon, but there will still be a depression in the finish there.

Hi

I've used some automotive scratch remover in the past
eg. http://www.meguiars.com/?auto-paint-cleaners/ScratchX

and to polish and protect the frame and all components
http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/pro-detailer.htm
I don't if you can see it in the picture, but it gives a very glossy finish.
which some people may dislike.

To fill any chips I use Gloss enamel clear hobby paint (get the one that dries totally clear), I put small raised dot covering the chip (it will shrink as it dries) and I just give it a good polish.

Hope this helps

Regards
Ken

artmichalek said:
That's what I get for typing a reply before I've finished my coffee. Nail polish remover (acetone) can in fact be used to smooth out a clear coat chip. It won't hurt the carbon, but there will still be a depression in the finish there.