How much does your uni weigh?

feel the light wrote:
> I have no doubt you, as well as most riders here, are better then me.
> Yet it is fact that it takes quality materials and craftsmanship to
> construct a light, strong
> uni. Having a lighter-strong, better made uni is the only easy way to
> improve. The rest is all you, training, practice, injuries and
> attitude. No matter how hard you work, how much you love the sport, how
> great your natural and acquired talent, you will have only so much. The
> idea that this finite bit of greatness should be saddled with a
> heavy-cheap uni is the sad thinking of a poor man.:rolleyes: Buying a
> great uni is the easy part.*so you like taking the easy route out. its
> not about where you go, but how you get their.* The rest is limited by
> reality. The uni is only limited by how cheap you are.
> In any sport, the greats understand this and take the easy way. Good
> gear.

pros deserve light unis. everyone else needs to suck up the whole
garbage "i can't hop that high because i ride a heavy uni" excuse. the
early pros rode heavy unis and i am not sure but i bet they complained
a lot less than a lot of people do about the wieght of their unis.
pros are the only people who can truly feel how it affects their riding
not just the difference in weight.
and yeah if you apply physics a light uni will help you jump higher.
102 pounds(uni and person) can jump 30 inches. 100 pounds(taking off
2 pounds for a lighter uni)will be able to jump30.6 inches? most
people would not notice the difference.

--
torkerdx

http://www.usenet.com

feel the light wrote:
> Lol ha, ha, ha. Yeah, I am a bit of fat old hypocrite. I admit. I really
> should be riding an ax20 with a carbon this and that, I suppose.
> On the other hand, at 185 (down from 200 when I bought the KH!), I
> figure a heavier model is reasonable. I don't have to jump as hard to
> break stuff with my fat ass and crude skills etc.
> My point, as much as I have one, is it's so great to be a uni rider,
> compared to other sports that cost such serious $. 500$ and you are set
> up world class, if you know where to buy. When I was young I dreamed of
> being a motocross racer. I was way to poor. No hope there.
> But in uni, nothing can hold you back. A world class setup is a few
> hundred dollars and a stack of pallets away. A serious competitor in
> many sports must spend 1000$+/day just to show up. Don't save 200$ on
> your uni and ride a cruder thing that weighs lbs. more. Get a KH, or
> Koxx, put good pedals on it. It is so cool how anyone can set
> themselves up with greatness for so little. Of course, we may continue
> to suck relative to the greats, that is no surprise. But don't handicap
> yourself with a heavy uni to save 200 $. Good gear is worth the cash.
> The better you are, the more that is true.:D

Feel the light,

+1
I agree with you! :)

Flaviu

--
UAC

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page"
(Saint Augustine)
http://www.usenet.com

torkerdx wrote:
> pros deserve light unis. everyone else needs to suck up the whole
> garbage "i can't hop that high because i ride a heavy uni" excuse. the
> early pros rode heavy unis and i am not sure but i bet they complained
> a lot less than a lot of people do about the wieght of their unis.
> pros are the only people who can truly feel how it affects their riding
> not just the difference in weight.
> and yeah if you apply physics a light uni will help you jump higher.
> 102 pounds(uni and person) can jump 30 inches. 100 pounds(taking off
> 2 pounds for a lighter uni)will be able to jump30.6 inches? most
> people would not notice the difference.

If you really want to get the best out of yourself then every ounce
counts!!!
I thought this fact is already known by everyone, isn't it?
However, it really depends on what you want to do with your uni /
sport. Riding for fun is not the same as riding for the record! e.g -
what uni would you choose if you'll ever want to beat Yoggi's stair
jump record (I think he did 670...)? try it and you'll see how a few
grams count!!!
I can continue exemplifying but I think I'm talking obvious facts...
Give me a light uni :)

Flaviu
ps: don't take me wrong. I'm not talking here of sacrificing strength
for weight. The line between these two is thin and should be specific
to the individual and his intentions.
Finally, there is heavy stuff weaker than lighter stuff...

--

UAC wrote:
> If you really want to get the best out of yourself then every ounce
> counts!!!
> I thought this fact is already known by everyone, isn't it?
> YEAH. MOST PEOPLE COULD TAKE OFF MORE WEIGHT OFF BY GETTING RID OF
> THEIR OWN BODY FAT THAN CUTTING THE WEIGHT OF THE UNI.
> However, it really depends on what you want to do with your uni /
> sport. Riding for fun is not the same as riding for the record! e.g -
> what uni would you choose if you'll ever want to beat Yoggi's stair
> jump record (I think he did 670...)? try it and you'll see how a few
> grams count!!!
> I can continue exemplifying but I think I'm talking obvious facts...
> Give me a light uni :)
>
> Flaviu
> ps: don't take me wrong. I'm not talking here of sacrificing strength
> for weight. The line between these two is thin and should be specific
> to the individual and his intentions.
> Finally, there is heavy stuff weaker than lighter stuff...
> *of course their is. that just means it is outdated or poorly
> designed*

i would choose mine if i were to try and beat his record. which i said
before was a profiles. i would take mine because of the feel of it and
being used to it. and if you doubt me that i would try it on mine, fly
me to france or where ever it was. no garuntees i could beat him.

--
torkerdx

johnfoss wrote:
> Yes, being old makes you stupid.

http://www.usenet.com

ah i just reweighed.

my wyganowski is 5.9kg and my other unicycle is 5.0kg. It was 4 point
something before i put the cranks and pedals on.

--
nickvb123

"any thing you can do i can do backwards"
http://www.usenet.com

lightest one: Municycle made 29er : 6kg (very light)
heaviest one: old Coker (weights like a tank! probably hand built by a
village smith :p )
the problem with my Muni (nicknamed "the boar") is the weight of the
tyre: my Duro leopard weights tons!

--
wobbling bear

One Wheel : bear necessity
http://www.usenet.com

I switch between a DX, Profile set-up, and a stock KH uni. I feel no
difference, and can do everything the exact same on all unis. Gap just
as far on the heavy DX/Profile set-up as I can on my KH, jump just as
high, do endurance stuff just as easily.

You guys and your excuses.:p

Im not sure how much my unis weigh, probably around 16 pounds for one,
14 for another, and 12 for the KH.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)
http://www.usenet.com

isaac steiner wrote:
> Actually its made of the excact same stuf...And its more the strength of
> the cranks not as much the hub.

hub is the highest stress point though, cranks may be next

--
thejdw

kington99 wrote:
> A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
> just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage :)

http://www.usenet.com

my uni wieghs -5lbs, it's tied up outback so it doesn't fly away, helps
me with long jumps.

--
kerosian

Farmdale Freeride race Sept. 29th&30th
http://www.usenet.com

supernova wrote:
> My unicycle weihg's 12 pounds

That actually gave me a pretty good idea. seal the frame and fill it
with helium. or if you have an air saddle, fill that with helium. you
could prolly save 1/4 lbs.

--
fist
http://www.usenet.com

fist wrote:
> That actually gave me a pretty good idea. seal the frame and fill it
> with helium. or if you have an air saddle, fill that with helium. you
> could prolly save 1/4 lbs.

Sealing it would add more weight than the Helium would ever reduce.

--
Borgschulze

http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/
http://www.usenet.com

I have a stock KH 20 except with Eastern Pedals along with one plastic
Kamodo grind plate

and a broken seatpost:(

All together my uni weighs 12.21 pounds

|Filename: broken seat post.bmp |

Mullethunter

In Minnesota? let's ride! E-mail me torker@doenges
http://www.usenet.com

I have the lightest splined uni! Muahaha.

--
Evan Byrne
http://www.usenet.com

Evan Byrne wrote:
> I have the lightest splined uni! Muahaha.

there was that guy with the 12" splined uni - i think that might be
lighter than urs.

--
brendan
http://www.usenet.com

Ok ok, lightest splined uni thats usable.

--
Evan Byrne
http://www.usenet.com