How often to max out heart rate?

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by jojoma, Sep 28, 2017.

1. jojoma

jojoma Member

Hello,

Just wondering how often an athlete should try to max out heart rate. I've heard that bodybuilders try to max out a muscle group every couple weeks. Should the same hold true for the heart? I have been racing and training hard for about 6 years now, and I rarely, if ever, reach my max hart rate. Even during the hardest road races or TTs. Maybe I should try harder??

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Tags:

2. trailgumby

trailgumby New Member

You're better off focussing your efforts on maximising your functional threshold power, as that will enable you to ride faster while staying within your capability, so that you have more grunt available towards the end of the race when the final selections are made. FTP in watts per kg is the best predictor for race results.

Over what time frame are we talking? 5 minute, 2, 1 minute, 6-20 seconds? 3-5 minute power puts you in VO2 Max territory - good for bridging to breakaways, which can be a very handy ability. Rather than every few weeks, it's probably better to think of it as something to sharpen as you get closer to your high-priority races. VO2 Max is psychologically challenging to spend a lot of time in, probably a max of 20 minutes per session.

More info on training zones here: http://www.simplycyclingtraining.com/need-know-training-zones/