How should Nifong be punished?

wolfix

Mar 11, 2005
Today, district attorney Mike Nifong has been disbarred. This is a story of complete abuse of power. We have a district attorney willing to destroy 3 lives of completely innocent boys to further his political career. These 3 boys would have spent years behind bars and then been released to the public forever being branded as sexual predators.

Is disbarrement enough? Shouldn't Nifong have to spend the same time in prison as each individual he was ready to condemn? This is not a case of him simply being wrong in an attempt to bring justice. He knew these boys were innocent before he brought charges.

What he has done is criminal. This man deserves at least 20-25 years imprisonment. I don't believe in the death penalty, but I would reconsider it in this case.
Here is a rundown of the case......

A chronology of events in the Duke lacrosse case:

March 13, 2006 — Duke University lacrosse players throw a party at an off-campus house, hiring two strippers.

March 14 — One of the dancers tells Durham, N.C., police she was forced into a bathroom by three men and beaten, raped and sodomized.

March 23 — Forty-six of 47 team members comply with judge's order to provide DNA. The sole black member is not tested, because the accuser said her attackers were white.

March 28 — Duke suspends lacrosse team from play.

March 29 — District Attorney Mike Nifong calls members of the team "a bunch of hooligans."

April 4 — The accuser identifies her attackers in a photo lineup.

April 5 — Lacrosse coach Mike Pressler resigns. Duke President Richard Brodhead cancels the rest of the season.

April 10 — Defense attorneys announce DNA tests fail to connect any of the players to the accuser.

/**/ April 17 — Grand jury indicts Reade Seligmann and Collin Finnerty on rape and other charges.

April 25 — Granville County authorities confirm the accuser told police 10 years ago she was raped by three men when she was 14. None of the men was charged.

May 15 — Grand jury indicts team co-captain David Evans on rape charges. He calls the allegations "fantastic lies."

June 5 — Duke president says team can resume play in 2007 under close monitoring.

Nov. 7 — Nifong wins election to continue as district attorney.

Dec. 15 — Director of a DNA lab testifies that, in an agreement with Nifong, he omitted from a report that genetic material from several men — none of them team members — was found in accuser's underwear and body.

Dec. 22 — Nifong drops the rape charges, saying the woman is no longer certain whether she was penetrated. The players still face charges of kidnapping and sexual offense.

Dec. 28 — North Carolina bar files ethics charges against Nifong, accusing him of making misleading and inflammatory comments to the media about the athletes. (He is also later accused of withholding evidence and lying to the court.)

Jan. 3, 2007 — Duke invites Seligmann and Finnerty to return to school. (They have not returned.) The accuser gives birth. Both sides later say she was not impregnated at the party.

Jan. 12 — Nifong asks to withdraw from case because of ethics charges.

Jan. 13 — North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper takes over the case.

April 11 — Cooper drops all charges, accusing Nifong of overreaching.

Nifong is a scumbag who did what he did for his own political gain. Prison seems appropriate considering what would have been the result if his plans had worked out. This is an outrageous case, but the same thing to a lesser degree happens all the time.

You and I agreeing on something????? This case made me angry. Not just for the three boys, but the fact this does happen all the time. We would have never heard of this if the 3 boys were poor.
Part of my anger is that America is not outraged and looking at this closer to see how injustice is being done. When people in power abuse power, they need to see strong penalties.

this happens all the time indeed, to both a greater and lesser degree, the jails and prisons are full of the poor who were represented by public defenders and placed in the situation of being railroaded by a system that is rubber-stamp happy.

statistics bear this demographic reality out, and we are supporting and financing a for-profit incarceration industry with taxpayer dollars to warehouse yet more...

now, if you are of the ever dwindling "middle, or, working, class" then you can take out a second mortgage to even pay for a public defender (yes, if you have a job you get a bill) let alone anything resembling decent legal defense representation.

but let us put things in perspective...the legal sytem, from the top exec down, is allowing people to be victimized on a large scale basis at the likes of bushs' gonzales and lack of due process that is tolerated, if not endorsed by the "remember 9-11" mentality of rabid bush endorsing american apologists...we are of course talking here of the quasi-us prison system of detainment and torture for those who are deemed "enemy combatants" including the practice of "extraordinary rendition" for mostly arab people
in the never ending illegal "war on terror" .
let us stop to consider the outrage this continues to generate in comparison, and the resultant impact on, and danger to, americans everywhere.

this is an emotional issue for some it would seem, this imbalance of commercial media focused outrage over these three white students, while such a bigger picture of us perpetrated injustice exists.

wolfix said:
You and I agreeing on something????? This case made me angry. Not just for the three boys, but the fact this does happen all the time. We would have never heard of this if the 3 boys were poor.
Part of my anger is that America is not outraged and looking at this closer to see how injustice is being done. When people in power abuse power, they need to see strong penalties.

wolfix said:
Today, district attorney Mike Nifong has been disbarred. This is a story of complete abuse of power. We have a district attorney willing to destroy 3 lives of completely innocent boys to further his political career. These 3 boys would have spent years behind bars and then been released to the public forever being branded as sexual predators.

Is disbarrement enough? Shouldn't Nifong have to spend the same time in prison as each individual he was ready to condemn? This is not a case of him simply being wrong in an attempt to bring justice. He knew these boys were innocent before he brought charges.

What he has done is criminal. This man deserves at least 20-25 years imprisonment. I don't believe in the death penalty, but I would reconsider it in this case.
Here is a rundown of the case......

A chronology of events in the Duke lacrosse case:

March 13, 2006 — Duke University lacrosse players throw a party at an off-campus house, hiring two strippers.

March 14 — One of the dancers tells Durham, N.C., police she was forced into a bathroom by three men and beaten, raped and sodomized.

March 23 — Forty-six of 47 team members comply with judge's order to provide DNA. The sole black member is not tested, because the accuser said her attackers were white.

March 28 — Duke suspends lacrosse team from play.

March 29 — District Attorney Mike Nifong calls members of the team "a bunch of hooligans."

April 4 — The accuser identifies her attackers in a photo lineup.

April 5 — Lacrosse coach Mike Pressler resigns. Duke President Richard Brodhead cancels the rest of the season.

April 10 — Defense attorneys announce DNA tests fail to connect any of the players to the accuser.

/**/ April 17 — Grand jury indicts Reade Seligmann and Collin Finnerty on rape and other charges.

April 25 — Granville County authorities confirm the accuser told police 10 years ago she was raped by three men when she was 14. None of the men was charged.

May 15 — Grand jury indicts team co-captain David Evans on rape charges. He calls the allegations "fantastic lies."

June 5 — Duke president says team can resume play in 2007 under close monitoring.

Nov. 7 — Nifong wins election to continue as district attorney.

Dec. 15 — Director of a DNA lab testifies that, in an agreement with Nifong, he omitted from a report that genetic material from several men — none of them team members — was found in accuser's underwear and body.

Dec. 22 — Nifong drops the rape charges, saying the woman is no longer certain whether she was penetrated. The players still face charges of kidnapping and sexual offense.

Dec. 28 — North Carolina bar files ethics charges against Nifong, accusing him of making misleading and inflammatory comments to the media about the athletes. (He is also later accused of withholding evidence and lying to the court.)

Jan. 3, 2007 — Duke invites Seligmann and Finnerty to return to school. (They have not returned.) The accuser gives birth. Both sides later say she was not impregnated at the party.

Jan. 12 — Nifong asks to withdraw from case because of ethics charges.

Jan. 13 — North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper takes over the case.

April 11 — Cooper drops all charges, accusing Nifong of overreaching.
Force him to be the "victims" pimp for a year

Billsworld said:
Force him to be the "victims" pimp for a year
All I am going to say is those who have power, always want more. i guess it's just an ego thing. but then again i do not hold and position that helps me determine how other peoples lives are going to turn out

TEXAS_NORSEMAN said:
All I am going to say is those who have power, always want more. i guess it's just an ego thing. but then again i do not hold and position that helps me determine how other peoples lives are going to turn out
.............HUH?:confused:

Billsworld said:
.............HUH?:confused:
sorry, I read a quote when I read a autobiography in high school (can't think of the person the book was about) but I remember he said "those who have power, always want more". wrote my last comment in response to the fact that Nifong apparently pushed that Duke Lacrosse case just to keep his position: so can you tie the quote and his intentions togather?