How tight should these freakin' things be?

badfish

Apr 6, 2006
So, how tight should cycling shorts be. Should they be at all difficult to put on? I have a new pair and am thinking of returning them. Any help would be great.

They should be a snug fit and tight enough that they shouldn't be baggy or wrinkled when you put them on - if we are talking about lycra. But they shouldn't be particularly hard to get on.

matagi said:
They should be a snug fit and tight enough that they shouldn't be baggy or wrinkled when you put them on - if we are talking about lycra. But they shouldn't be particularly hard to get on.
Thanks, it seems I either have a return slip to fill out or more pedaling to do...

Ya I know, the first time I put cycling shorts on, man, those things give bad wedgies

And when you muscles start to hypertrophy, then there won't be any wrinkles. :D

Cycler6n said:
Ya I know, the first time I put cycling shorts on, man, those things give bad wedgies
Just trying to picture a wedgie with the chamois built in to cycling shorts. something aint right.

Thanks, it seems I either have a return slip to fill out or more pedaling to do...
Return Slip. They should not be all that tight. If they are too tight, they will restrict movement. They should be skin tight, but not enough to bind

In my opinion it doesn't really matter how tight your cycling shorts will be. Like most cyclist prefer fit and snug cycling shorts while some prefers loss and comfortable cycling shorts. It depends really in your own choice, just choose the one that you like the most. :)

So, how tight should cycling shorts be. Should they be at all difficult to put on? I have a new pair and am thinking of returning them. Any help would be great.

If your eyeballs are bulging out they are too tight.

I prefer mine to be as comfortable as possible. I like it slightly loose but relatively fit. I want to feel nice while riding my bike. I don't want it to feel like a struggle every time the garments stretch too tight or something.

You mean the lycra shorts? They should be snug fitting so when you ride your bike, they wouldn't be rubbing. Your shorts should have an elastic gripper at the bottom or uses a powerband opening.