How to deal with widely fluctuating training time week to week?

Bigpikle

Aug 5, 2010
I've read a lot about the importance of 'consistency' in effective training, and am wondering how people manage this when they have wildly fluctuating training time available week to week?

I'm lucky as my job and family commitments generally give me lots of flexibility to train, and some weeks I'll have 12-16 hours available, but my work forces me to travel frequently and I can often be away from home (and bike) for some or all of a week and my available time might drop to perhaps 6 hours or sometimes only just a weekend ride or 2. For me the challenge is that there is no pattern to this, and it literally can vary this much week to week, although luckily I'm rarely away more than 1 full week at a time. Typically 40 weeks of the year I am away between 2-5 nights. I usually have some visibility of the schedule 3-6 weeks out so can plan to some extent but it makes consistency impossible to achieve unless I simply plan to the lowest number of hours each week.

Right now I tend to use the time available so some weeks do more L2-3 volume and others I do less volume at higher L3-4 intensity. If I'm away all week then I try to ramp up as much as possible the week or 2 before and use it as a rest week. This year was my 2nd full year riding and according to Golden Cheetah I saw my CP rise from 201w to 270w across the year, so I'm making good progress, but am wondering how to step it up for 2012? I should add I'm NOT a racer but focused on longer sportives including European mountain events and a 3 day 340 mile early summer event again in 2012. At 75kg I need to continue to focus on FTP development and endurance for long (100+ mile events).

The big question for me is whether to continue with a highly varied training approach or try and have more week to week consistency and perhaps leave training time 'unused' some weeks? I'd appreciate any thoughts please.

Many thanks

Most people plan bicycling around their daily obligations.

When writing up a training plan, I would ignore those obligations. When it came time to execute the plan, during periods where I had other obligations I would do the harder less time consuming efforts, and during periods where I had no other obligations I would do additional longer easier efforts.

Are you traveling to the same location often enough to consider a rental storage unit? 40 trips a year is quite a lot of time away from home. You may even want to consider a new career.
Myself I work for a living and live with my family. The last job I had involved some travel and it gets old fast.

When I travel for work I train on the road by riding the bikes in hotel gyms or paying drop in day fees to train in gyms like Gold's when I'm on the road. It's not a lot of fun but you can get a lot of solid training with an hour to 90 minutes on a gym erg riding Tempo/SST/L4 or even things like a short session with a couple of sets of Tabata intervals all of which I've done plenty of during business trips. It may not match your normal plan for weeks while you're at home but it's definitely possible to maintain your training during work travel if you make it a priority.

But yeah consistency matters...a lot... so try to figure out a way that you don't have to take too many extended training breaks.

-Dave

Consistency is the key.

But as the OP says everyday working life can make it impossible at times to clear sufficient time to train consistently at times.
For example getting my bike/bottles prepared, getting changed in to my clothing, getting my bike out and checked, and starting to pedal can take up to 30 minutes.
That is before you physically start to train!
At this time of the year when daylight is minimal, this wasted time adds extra time pressure.

Instead I can change in to a set of runners and go running in 5 mins.
That is what I tend to do if I'm under severe time constraints and with minimal daylight time left.

I get my training done - albeit it's not cycling training in this instance.

Cheers guys....

Originally Posted by davereo .

Are you traveling to the same location often enough to consider a rental storage unit? 40 trips a year is quite a lot of time away from home. You may even want to consider a new career.
Myself I work for a living and live with my family. The last job I had involved some travel and it gets old fast.
sadly I travel to locations all over Europe so there is no way to do this. I have traveled with my bike a few times during the summer when there is time to get out int he evenings, but its not always possible, especially when I find myself in an unfamiliar city centre with no easy and safe route to get out for any kind of quality ride. I have considered having one of my frames customised to add a S&S coupler to make this a little easier though.

Dont even get me started on how fast travel gets old...6 years doing this now and if I never saw another airport it would be too soon. I stick with it though as the flexibility I have when not away is huge so its far better than a 9-5 even with 100 days away pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveryanwyoming .

When I travel for work I train on the road by riding the bikes in hotel gyms or paying drop in day fees to train in gyms like Gold's when I'm on the road. It's not a lot of fun but you can get a lot of solid training with an hour to 90 minutes on a gym erg riding Tempo/SST/L4 or even things like a short session with a couple of sets of Tabata intervals all of which I've done plenty of during business trips. It may not match your normal plan for weeks while you're at home but it's definitely possible to maintain your training during work travel if you make it a priority.

But yeah consistency matters...a lot... so try to figure out a way that you don't have to take too many extended training breaks.

-Dave

Dave - I think this is perhaps the answer. Luckily most of my trips are 2 days at a time so I treat these as 2 day rest periods, usually with a high TSS ride the day before I leave if I can do it, but its the longer trips that get in the way. Next week I'm away 5 nights so will try and find a gym for at least a couple of indoor sessions. The trouble is the quality of bikes in most gyms is terrible, and I end up not bothering far too often... I think I need to make more of an effort in this area - perhaps load up a Sufferfest on my phone and use that at the gym. I guess even 2 sessions of 2x20 during a week would make the difference between de-training and at least holding steady on each of these longer breaks.

What about training strategy though? Would you recommend using all the available time on te good weeks and then having to drop back and be 'inconsistent' or hold back on good weeks so there is less of a change when I have less time, and hence have more consistency albeit at a lower overall volume? This is what I struggle with as I have a tendency to want to use all available time I have each week, leading to the high variability. Thanks

Originally Posted by Bigpikle .

What about training strategy though? Would you recommend using all the available time on te good weeks and then having to drop back...
Yes, unless riding as much as you can on the big weeks leaves you too tired to do meaningful workouts or hinders your recovery too much on the low weeks. IOW, it's hard to imagine a situation where training less (unless you're struggling with recovery) will compensate for not being able to train enough.

IME, the most important part of 'consistency' is workout frequency or how often you train even if some of those days are shorter or even less intense than desired. Yeah, it would be better to get on a plan with steadily and gradually increasing loading and not big bursts of training followed by easier periods but life's not perfect so get the good training when you can but don't totally bury yourself on your harder weeks so that you can still recover fairly quickly but then try to find ways to workout on the travel weeks whether it's on gym bikes or other aerobic exercise as Lim suggests. I'd just work really hard not to rest completely on the travel weeks even if all you can do is half an hour in a hotel gym before work while on the road.

-Dave

thanks Dave - thats pretty much what I've been doing this year, especially as I've had my PT all year and been carefully tracking TSS etc. I've had a really good year but am always looking to learn how to do it better, so you've put my mind at rest about the strategic approach I should adopt. Thanks for your input.