How to maintain high speed...

Aussie Steve

Nov 8, 2005
almost always commute with back-pack, have no problem with low speed power...can grind well + can also hold cadence of 140+ (saw 147 on an uphill recently) without bouncing...
problem is, have trouble being able to hold speed of 45kmh+
when not carrying backpack, riding on weekends. Can get there to 45, cadence 95 maybe...but have trouble holding it there:mad:
What the hell can I do to regain my top-end? have 9 sp 105 group, top cog is 12 tooth...
any tips greatly appreciated

Aussie Steve said:
when not carrying backpack, riding on weekends. Can get there to 45
You can get to 45kph and you are still complaining? You've gotta be kidding! :p

yeah, what I do is get off the saddle, spin up to 110 and just keep changing gears until I get to the right gear, then sit back down and try to keep spinning at 100+ but it's bloody hard to hold it:mad:
and I may have been exaggerating a little, its probably closer to 40kmh...:cool:

45 km/hr = 27.9617 mph <- which is doable by me, but I can't maintain a 28 mph average. Maybe I can do an interval at 28 mph but I've never tried. My highest top speed in the flats no wind is 32.9 mph or 52.94742 km/hr. Maybe I've tried to keep a 25 mph avg for some distance but this gets me running in the 90% + MHR range and then I have to recover.

When I bike for top speed my preferred position is on the hoods but I think being in the drops is the fastest. When I workout in the drops my avg speed per HR is higher than on top or on the hoods.

about a year ago I was in a bunch ride where early on, our speed was about 38 kmh (as I recall) and my cadence was about 85...one chap said I was too low- grinding, and shortly we would accelerate and I would not be able to keep up...the others were maybe 95...
I was happy at 85, & couldn't spin any faster at that road speed because I was close to Max HR...he was right, up went the speed, and I could not hang on.
Watched them draw away and psychologically, it was draining, aggravated by the disappearance of the slipstream...
What do I need to do to stay with the guys???

Aussie Steve said:
about a year ago I was in a bunch ride where early on, our speed was about 38 kmh (as I recall) and my cadence was about 85...one chap said I was too low- grinding, and shortly we would accelerate and I would not be able to keep up...the others were maybe 95...
I was happy at 85, & couldn't spin any faster at that road speed because I was close to Max HR...he was right, up went the speed, and I could not hang on.
Watched them draw away and psychologically, it was draining, aggravated by the disappearance of the slipstream...
What do I need to do to stay with the guys???
I find pushing bigger gears pushes my heart rate up more than increasing my cadence in a race/bunch situation. Racing on the weekend (crit) my Cadence ranged from 95 - 115 depending on what the bunch was doing. Currently my power levels are lower than they should be for where I am racing and cadence is the only way to match the surges.

I am now looking at increasing my power as I to would like to be able to maintain a higher speed. Currently a turn on the front of the bunch at 45km/h wears me out more than I like. My highest sprint speed I have seen on the flats in open air is 55km/h and cadence was through the roof.

Paulie said "high cadence is the only way to match the surges" exactly right.
When you are spinning at lower revs, very very hard to accelerate. Problem I have always had, is I run out of puff easier at 95+...i am really blowing hard...
I may need more mileage, I dunno

Aussie Steve said:
Paulie said "high cadence is the only way to match the surges" exactly right.
When you are spinning at lower revs, very very hard to accelerate. Problem I have always had, is I run out of puff easier at 95+...i am really blowing hard...
I may need more mileage, I dunno
More time spinning in training. I ride road with the GF pretty regularly. There is a reasonable speed difference between us so I always choose a lower gear and spin at 95+ when on a ride with her.

My rest days are generally also spin days, gets the legs in the habit and then it comes naturally to want to work at those levels.

Lucky man, Paulie... you have a GF who rides.
I will be resuming bunch rides in the next few weeks (I plan to anyway) and hopefully my charm, wit and good looks (not to mention my modesty:D ) will snare me a GF from the bunch... it's the only way to meet a lady rider. And I will keep trying to spin at high revs, but I do like to grind at 65-75 rpm...

Aussie Steve said:
almost always commute with back-pack, have no problem with low speed power...can grind well + can also hold cadence of 140+ (saw 147 on an uphill recently) without bouncing...
when not carrying backpack, riding on weekends. Can get there to 45, cadence 95 maybe...but have trouble holding it there:mad:
What the hell can I do to regain my top-end? have 9 sp 105 group, top cog is 12 tooth...
any tips greatly appreciated
Dont be too concerned about trying to get your top speed while you have the pack on, remember you are carrying more weight and have changed your aerodynamics creating more drag. Just concentrate in keeping your effort level as normal and your pedal strokes efficient. The extra weight and drag will make you a better cyclist when you dont have the pack on.

Forget about maintaining this 45km/hr speed. This is what the pros do in solo! I just watched the 2005 TDF 55km TT and Lance won the stage at an avg speed of 45.98 km/hr = 28.57 mph!

When I saw a pro bike race a police man watching did radar on the peloton and they were doing 30 mph in a group.