How to Remove Shimano Cranks

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by BeeRich, May 28, 2007.

  1. BeeRich

    BeeRich Guest

    Hi folks.

    I want to remove my Shimano cranks (XT) and I can't seem to get them
    off. I took out the hex nut, but she's pretty solid. Do I need a
    puller at all? These things are on there solid, but I don't see how
    they are on so tight.

    I just shot some lubricant in there, and I'll give it overnight to
    penetrate.

    Any advice needed.

    Cheers

    Tags:

  2. landotter

    landotter Guest

    On May 28, 6:12 pm, BeeRich <beer...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Hi folks.
    >
    > I want to remove my Shimano cranks (XT) and I can't seem to get them
    > off. I took out the hex nut, but she's pretty solid. Do I need a
    > puller at all?

    Yup.

    http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=120

  3. JeffWills

    JeffWills Guest

    On May 28, 3:12 pm, BeeRich <beer...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Hi folks.
    >
    > I want to remove my Shimano cranks (XT) and I can't seem to get them
    > off. I took out the hex nut, but she's pretty solid. Do I need a
    > puller at all? These things are on there solid, but I don't see how
    > they are on so tight.
    >
    > I just shot some lubricant in there, and I'll give it overnight to
    > penetrate.
    >
    > Any advice needed.
    >
    > Cheers

    You need to know *which* XT cranks you have. Take a look at
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=122
    and
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=120
    and
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=103
    to determine which you have. A picture would help.

    Jeff

  4. Bee Rich writes:

    > I want to remove my Shimano cranks (XT) and I can't seem to get them
    > off. I took out the hex nut, but she's pretty solid. Do I need a
    > puller at all? These things are on there solid, but I don't see how
    > they are on so tight.

    > I just shot some lubricant in there, and I'll give it overnight to
    > penetrate.

    XT cranks are two piece, the spindle being permanently attached to the
    right crank, the left one, the removable one, fits on a fine spline
    and is secured by two pinch bolts. Loosening the pinch-bolts allows
    manually pulling the crank off the spindle. Assembly should be with
    grease between spindle and crank to prevent corrosion and facilitate
    removal. This is not a friction joint and gets its strength from face
    contact pressure between crank and spindle spline ribs.

    When you say you removed "the hex nut", I suspect you don't have these
    cranks:

    http://tinyurl.com/2wjbq8

    Scroll to the bottom of this page.

    Jobst Brandt

  5. Crazy Fred

    Crazy Fred Guest

    On May 28, 8:03 pm, landotter <landot...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On May 28, 6:12 pm, BeeRich <beer...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi folks.

    > > I want to remove my Shimano cranks (XT) and I can't seem to get them
    > > off. I took out the hex nut, but she's pretty solid. Do I need a
    > > puller at all?

    > Yup.
    >
    > http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=120

    If its not a ISIS drive. You need a puller and it better be a real
    good one. There may be a washer from the removed Allen or Hex bolt in
    there. Had that happen once.

  6. On May 28, 5:12 pm, BeeRich <beer...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Hi folks.
    >
    > I want to remove my Shimano cranks (XT) and I can't seem to get them
    > off. I took out the hex nut, but she's pretty solid. Do I need a
    > puller at all? These things are on there solid, but I don't see how
    > they are on so tight.
    >
    > I just shot some lubricant in there, and I'll give it overnight to
    > penetrate.
    >
    > Any advice needed.
    >
    > Cheers

    If you have a Hollowtech(spline type BB), need a little plug,
    available at the LBS, for the puller to push against. If you have
    square taper XT cranks, just the puller..make sure it's screwed in all
    the way. Don't use the self extractor cap, if there is one, these caps
    are aluminum, cheezy and if the splines(if HT) are not greased, this
    will blow up.

  7. BeeRich

    BeeRich Guest

    On May 28, 8:06 pm, JeffWills <jwi...@pacifier.com> wrote:

    > You need to know *which* XT cranks you have. Take a look athttp://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=122
    > andhttp://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=120
    > andhttp://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=103
    > to determine which you have. A picture would help.
    >
    > Jeff

    Hi Jeff. Thanks for the reply. This is the one:

    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=103

    So this is what I need:

    http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=26&item=CWP-6

    Cheers

  8. BeeRich

    BeeRich Guest

    On May 28, 8:19 pm, jobst.bra...@stanfordalumni.org wrote:

    > XT cranks are two piece, the spindle being permanently attached to the
    > right crank, the left one, the removable one, fits on a fine spline
    > and is secured by two pinch bolts. Loosening the pinch-bolts allows
    > manually pulling the crank off the spindle. Assembly should be with
    > grease between spindle and crank to prevent corrosion and facilitate
    > removal. This is not a friction joint and gets its strength from face
    > contact pressure between crank and spindle spline ribs.
    >
    > When you say you removed "the hex nut", I suspect you don't have these
    > cranks:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2wjbq8
    >
    > Scroll to the bottom of this page.
    >
    > Jobst Brandt

    Hi there. I don't have those cranks. This bike is from 1992.

    Cheers

  9. JeffWills

    JeffWills Guest

    On May 29, 5:19 am, BeeRich <beer...@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Hi Jeff. Thanks for the reply. This is the one:
    >
    > http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=103
    >
    > So this is what I need:
    >
    > http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=26&item=CWP-6
    >
    > Cheers

    Ah so. Those are some of the best cranks Shimano ever made: one-piece
    forged arms (no seperate spider) and 110/74mm bolt pattern, square
    spindle. That's probably mumbo-jumbo to you, but, speaking as someone
    who's been around bikes for (eek!) 35 years, if you ever want to sell
    them, I want first dibs.

    Jeff

  10. BeeRich

    BeeRich Guest

    On May 30, 2:09 am, JeffWills <jwi...@pacifier.com> wrote:
    > On May 29, 5:19 am, BeeRich <beer...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Jeff. Thanks for the reply. This is the one:

    > >http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=103

    > > So this is what I need:

    > >http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=26&item=CWP-6

    > > Cheers

    > Ah so. Those are some of the best cranks Shimano ever made: one-piece
    > forged arms (no seperate spider) and 110/74mm bolt pattern, square
    > spindle. That's probably mumbo-jumbo to you, but, speaking as someone
    > who's been around bikes for (eek!) 35 years, if you ever want to sell
    > them, I want first dibs.
    >
    > Jeff

    They are also 180's, so I knee my chin when I bike.

Share This Page