How to train for 40k road race?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Radioactive Man, Feb 11, 2003.

  1. Here's a question for those who race road bikes: in terms of longest weekly rides, duration and
    number of intervals, spinning, etc., what is the best training strategy for training for a race
    in the 40 k
    (24.86 mile) range?

    Tags:

  2. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >Here's a question for those who race road bikes: in terms of longest weekly rides, duration and
    >number of intervals, spinning, etc., what is the best training strategy for training for a race
    >in the 40 k
    >(24.86 mile) range?

    Is this a TT, a crit or what exactly is it??

    Jon Isaacs

  3. On 12 Feb 2003 04:22:22 GMT, jonisaacs@aol.com (Jon Isaacs) wrote:

    >>Here's a question for those who race road bikes: in terms of longest weekly rides, duration and
    >>number of intervals, spinning, etc., what is the best training strategy for training for a race in
    >>the 40 k
    >>(24.86 mile) range?
    >
    >Is this a TT, a crit or what exactly is it??
    >
    >Jon Isaacs

    I'll be doing mostly duathlons and triathlons with bike rides up to the 40 k range. I'd also like to
    do some pure TT bike races, but can't seem to find any locally. So far, I've figured out workable
    training strategies for the swim and run, but I'm somewhat stumped on the bike training. So far this
    year, I've done plenty of swimming and running, but I've only trained on the stationary bike several
    times a week for 30 to 45 minutes, usually at 120+ rpm. When the weather warms up a bit more, I'm
    planning to get out and do some real rides.

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Radioactive Man" <rm@rm.rm> wrote in message news:41vl4v0a4i577jhfspb69gqvnmvrqr7alr@4ax.com...
    > On 12 Feb 2003 04:22:22 GMT, jonisaacs@aol.com (Jon Isaacs) wrote:
    >
    > >>Here's a question for those who race road bikes: in terms of longest weekly rides, duration and
    > >>number of intervals, spinning, etc., what is the best training strategy for training for a race
    > >>in the 40 k
    > >>(24.86 mile) range?
    > >
    > >Is this a TT, a crit or what exactly is it??
    > >
    > >Jon Isaacs
    >
    > I'll be doing mostly duathlons and triathlons with bike rides up to the 40 k range. I'd also like
    > to do some pure TT bike races, but can't seem to find any locally. So far, I've figured out
    > workable training strategies for the swim and run, but I'm somewhat stumped on the bike training.
    > So far this year, I've done plenty of swimming and running, but I've only trained on the
    > stationary bike several times a week for 30 to 45 minutes, usually at 120+ rpm. When the weather
    > warms up a bit more, I'm planning to get out and do some real rides.

    Training for tri-s and du-s is different than training for road/crit racing. You're looking for top
    end speed, not constant accelerations, so the workouts are more threshold training, not sprinting.
    Check out www.trinewbies.com for better tri/du specific training.

Share This Page