How to

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Crazy Fred, Jun 25, 2007.

  1. Crazy Fred

    Crazy Fred Guest

    Every once in a while my cassette nut makes its way lose and off. Got
    any help. I'm open for anything like locktight but won't make it to
    hard to remove nut.

    Tags:

  2. Derek Hodges

    Derek Hodges Guest

    "Crazy Fred" <DRFREDRH@MSN.COM> wrote in message
    > Every once in a while my cassette nut makes its way lose and off. Got
    > any help. I'm open for anything like locktight but won't make it to
    > hard to remove nut.

    The idea with Lock-tite is that vibration won't cause the part to come
    loose, but modest pressure from a wrench will.
    Note: this refers "blue" lock-tite, which is removable grade.

  3. datakoll

    datakoll Guest

    On Jun 25, 9:16 am, "Derek Hodges" <dhod...@spam.interlog.com> wrote:
    > "Crazy Fred" <DRFRE...@MSN.COM> wrote in message

    > > Every once in a while my cassette nut makes its way lose and off. Got
    > > any help. I'm open for anything like locktight but won't make it to
    > > hard to remove nut.

    > The idea with Lock-tite is that vibration won't cause the part to come
    > loose, but modest pressure from a wrench will.
    > Note: this refers "blue" lock-tite, which is removable grade.

    check the cassette spacing at hub/cassette then clean the threads m/f
    for the nut/hub. clean low cog surfaces. then find an e BLAMMMOOO
    explodead dieagram for the hub to figure if its assembled in correct
    order but if you never took it apart ignore that maybe. are you using
    axle nuts or the floating axle method?
    press down hard when screwing nut in

  4. Crazy Fred

    Crazy Fred Guest

    On Jun 25, 9:16 am, "Derek Hodges" <dhod...@spam.interlog.com> wrote:
    > "Crazy Fred" <DRFRE...@MSN.COM> wrote in message

    > > Every once in a while my cassette nut makes its way lose and off. Got
    > > any help. I'm open for anything like locktight but won't make it to
    > > hard to remove nut.

    > The idea with Lock-tite is that vibration won't cause the part to come
    > loose, but modest pressure from a wrench will.
    > Note: this refers "blue" lock-tite, which is removable grade.

    Thanks press down tight and use of lock tite. Now I can use that blue
    lock tite just laying around and never opened. Thank again.

  5. Crazy Fred

    Crazy Fred Guest

    On Jun 25, 9:16 am, "Derek Hodges" <dhod...@spam.interlog.com> wrote:
    > "Crazy Fred" <DRFRE...@MSN.COM> wrote in message

    > > Every once in a while my cassette nut makes its way lose and off. Got
    > > any help. I'm open for anything like locktight but won't make it to
    > > hard to remove nut.

    > The idea with Lock-tite is that vibration won't cause the part to come
    > loose, but modest pressure from a wrench will.
    > Note: this refers "blue" lock-tite, which is removable grade.

    Thanks now I can use that Blue Lock Tite just laying there and never
    opened.

  6. datakoll

    datakoll Guest

    On Jun 25, 11:40 am, Crazy Fred <DRFRE...@MSN.COM> wrote:
    > On Jun 25, 9:16 am, "Derek Hodges" <dhod...@spam.interlog.com> wrote:
    >
    > > "Crazy Fred" <DRFRE...@MSN.COM> wrote in message

    > > > Every once in a while my cassette nut makes its way lose and off. Got
    > > > any help. I'm open for anything like locktight but won't make it to
    > > > hard to remove nut.

    > > The idea with Lock-tite is that vibration won't cause the part to come
    > > loose, but modest pressure from a wrench will.
    > > Note: this refers "blue" lock-tite, which is removable grade.

    > Thanks now I can use that Blue Lock Tite just laying there and never
    > opened.

    gnawww!

    if the cassette nut comes loose when the wheel/hub is mounted in the
    frame, tight with adequate nut or washer flanges on the dropouts,,
    then a loosening nut indicates an assembly problem not a thread
    loosening problem. shimano did not serve a nut with inadequate
    threading. I'll bet you have an assembly limiting the thread depth.
    anyway, blue lock's prevail torque spec is not high enough to correct
    the force problem.

  7. On Jun 25, 11:40 am, Crazy Fred <DRFRE...@MSN.COM> wrote:
    > On Jun 25, 9:16 am, "Derek Hodges" <dhod...@spam.interlog.com> wrote:
    >
    > > "Crazy Fred" <DRFRE...@MSN.COM> wrote in message

    > > > Every once in a while my cassette nut makes its way lose and off. Got
    > > > any help. I'm open for anything like locktight but won't make it to
    > > > hard to remove nut.

    > > The idea with Lock-tite is that vibration won't cause the part to come
    > > loose, but modest pressure from a wrench will.
    > > Note: this refers "blue" lock-tite, which is removable grade.

    > Thanks now I can use that Blue Lock Tite just laying there and never
    > opened.

    You shouldn't need Lock Tite. Unless the teeth on the small cog and
    lock ring are completely worn off, you should be able to tighten it
    with your fingers and not have it come off.

  8. <unforgiven99@juno.com> wrote in message
    > On Jun 25, 11:40 am, Crazy Fred <DRFRE...@MSN.COM> wrote:
    >> On Jun 25, 9:16 am, "Derek Hodges" <dhod...@spam.interlog.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> > "Crazy Fred" <DRFRE...@MSN.COM> wrote in message

    >> > The idea with Lock-tite is that vibration won't cause the part to come
    >> > loose, but modest pressure from a wrench will.
    >> > Note: this refers "blue" lock-tite, which is removable grade.

    >> Thanks now I can use that Blue Lock Tite just laying there and never
    >> opened.

    > You shouldn't need Lock Tite. Unless the teeth on the small cog and
    > lock ring are completely worn off, you should be able to tighten it
    > with your fingers and not have it come off.

    Do you guys mean Loctite?
    -tom

Share This Page