How to

Crazy Fred

Guest
Every once in a while my cassette nut makes its way lose and off. Got
any help. I'm open for anything like locktight but won't make it to
hard to remove nut.

"Crazy Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Every once in a while my cassette nut makes its way lose and off. Got
> any help. I'm open for anything like locktight but won't make it to
> hard to remove nut.

The idea with Lock-tite is that vibration won't cause the part to come
loose, but modest pressure from a wrench will.
Note: this refers "blue" lock-tite, which is removable grade.

On Jun 25, 9:16 am, "Derek Hodges" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Crazy Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Every once in a while my cassette nut makes its way lose and off. Got
> > any help. I'm open for anything like locktight but won't make it to
> > hard to remove nut.

> The idea with Lock-tite is that vibration won't cause the part to come
> loose, but modest pressure from a wrench will.
> Note: this refers "blue" lock-tite, which is removable grade.

check the cassette spacing at hub/cassette then clean the threads m/f
for the nut/hub. clean low cog surfaces. then find an e BLAMMMOOO
explodead dieagram for the hub to figure if its assembled in correct
order but if you never took it apart ignore that maybe. are you using
axle nuts or the floating axle method?
press down hard when screwing nut in

On Jun 25, 9:16 am, "Derek Hodges" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Crazy Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Every once in a while my cassette nut makes its way lose and off. Got
> > any help. I'm open for anything like locktight but won't make it to
> > hard to remove nut.

> The idea with Lock-tite is that vibration won't cause the part to come
> loose, but modest pressure from a wrench will.
> Note: this refers "blue" lock-tite, which is removable grade.

Thanks press down tight and use of lock tite. Now I can use that blue
lock tite just laying around and never opened. Thank again.

On Jun 25, 9:16 am, "Derek Hodges" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Crazy Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Every once in a while my cassette nut makes its way lose and off. Got
> > any help. I'm open for anything like locktight but won't make it to
> > hard to remove nut.

> The idea with Lock-tite is that vibration won't cause the part to come
> loose, but modest pressure from a wrench will.
> Note: this refers "blue" lock-tite, which is removable grade.

Thanks now I can use that Blue Lock Tite just laying there and never
opened.

On Jun 25, 11:40 am, Crazy Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 25, 9:16 am, "Derek Hodges" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Crazy Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >news:[email protected]...

> > > Every once in a while my cassette nut makes its way lose and off. Got
> > > any help. I'm open for anything like locktight but won't make it to
> > > hard to remove nut.

> > The idea with Lock-tite is that vibration won't cause the part to come
> > loose, but modest pressure from a wrench will.
> > Note: this refers "blue" lock-tite, which is removable grade.

> Thanks now I can use that Blue Lock Tite just laying there and never
> opened.

gnawww!

if the cassette nut comes loose when the wheel/hub is mounted in the
frame, tight with adequate nut or washer flanges on the dropouts,,
then a loosening nut indicates an assembly problem not a thread
loosening problem. shimano did not serve a nut with inadequate
threading. I'll bet you have an assembly limiting the thread depth.
anyway, blue lock's prevail torque spec is not high enough to correct
the force problem.

On Jun 25, 11:40 am, Crazy Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 25, 9:16 am, "Derek Hodges" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Crazy Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >news:[email protected]...

> > > Every once in a while my cassette nut makes its way lose and off. Got
> > > any help. I'm open for anything like locktight but won't make it to
> > > hard to remove nut.

> > The idea with Lock-tite is that vibration won't cause the part to come
> > loose, but modest pressure from a wrench will.
> > Note: this refers "blue" lock-tite, which is removable grade.

> Thanks now I can use that Blue Lock Tite just laying there and never
> opened.

You shouldn't need Lock Tite. Unless the teeth on the small cog and
lock ring are completely worn off, you should be able to tighten it
with your fingers and not have it come off.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jun 25, 11:40 am, Crazy Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Jun 25, 9:16 am, "Derek Hodges" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > "Crazy Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> >news:[email protected]...

>> > The idea with Lock-tite is that vibration won't cause the part to come
>> > loose, but modest pressure from a wrench will.
>> > Note: this refers "blue" lock-tite, which is removable grade.

>> Thanks now I can use that Blue Lock Tite just laying there and never
>> opened.

> You shouldn't need Lock Tite. Unless the teeth on the small cog and
> lock ring are completely worn off, you should be able to tighten it
> with your fingers and not have it come off.

Do you guys mean Loctite?
-tom