Hub Cones not available?

Dr_hush1417

Sep 4, 2009
I recently went to a lbs and ordered new cones for my shimano WH-R550 wheels, and the guy said that they aren't available anymore... These are not awesome wheels but I'd rather avoid getting new wheels as they are expensive, any source for slightly outdated parts?

Dr_hush1417 said:
I recently went to a lbs and ordered new cones for my shimano WH-R550 wheels, and the guy said that they aren't available anymore... These are not awesome wheels but I'd rather avoid getting new wheels as they are expensive, any source for slightly outdated parts?
I've got some of those. They seem pretty strong for a semi-aero wheel.

Wheelsmfg. has a site which shows all its cones by size as well as listing which wheel they are for. I would also guess that as an aftermarket manufacturer, wheels mfg would keep making spare parts long after the wheel maker stopped.

However, I would look up one of the sites like harriscyclery.net or jensonusa.com which let you link to the Quality Bicycle Parts catalog before I concluded you couldn't get the cones from Shimano anymore.

Dr_hush1417 said:
Are you certain your cones need to be replaced?

What do they currently look like?

FYI. There's a pretty good chance that you can cannibalize a 105 rear hub for the cones (but, maybe not) ... you could spend more & buy an Ultegra or DA rear hub, but why bother?

BTW. I find it hard to believe that Shimano isn't providing support those wheels.