hydration

leanman

Sep 20, 2009
probably a dumb question, but all the positive things i read about chocolate milk after a hard ride, has anyone ever tried drinking this while out training?

i'm going to tryit this saturday. the temperature will be 40 degrees, so my bottles wont freeze. i will mix 8oz whole chocolate milk with 16 oz water, in a few bottles..

i think my stomach can handle a swallow of deluted milk every 10 - 15 minutes. if its that good for you right after you train, it has to be good for you during training too..

i drink 32 oz milk daily anyway, so i can handle milk.

we'll see how it goes during hard training rides..

anybody try this?

thanks

Originally Posted by leanman .

...anybody try this?..
Yeah, I did a 100+ mile training ride once where I stopped every thirty miles or so and bought a bottle of chocolate milk at a convenience store. I can't remember why I didn't snack on other stuff but I was out of pocket food at home and for some reason the chocolate milk sounded good. It didn't give me any troubles and I finished the ride in good time and felt fine. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it but if you don't have lactose tolerance issues you can definitely fuel yourself that way. I've never tried diluting it and carrying it in water bottles but I suspect that would work as long as it met your caloric needs.

-Dave

Chocolate milk is one of my staple nutritional items on long rides. Its cheap and has carbs, protien and electrolytes. I have not suffered from a sour gut from it yet.