I admit to keeping garlic powder around

"hahabogus" <[email protected]> wrote

> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote

>> The other day I caught part of another episode of Next Food
>> Network Star. I take it a bag of groceries was left behind by
>> someone. This really messed up one of the contestants because
>> in it was his onion soup mix.

> I made up your flank steak marinade with killi's modification (dark
> sesame oil) tonight...my new bbq comes tommorrow...screw his onion soup
> mix.

(laugh)

> It's grilled flank err round steak (they had no flank) for supper
> tomorrow.

I hope it comes out well.

> I pounded it well with a tenderiser (one of those bladed ones) and the
> back of my cleaver before letting it sit over night in your brew. Should
> be ok for grillin...I'm chillin drinking pineapple juice.

Me too. Forgot I stuck one of those little cans in the refrigerator.
Good stuff.

nancy

BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:

> for one reason. I use it in potato chip dip. Cream cheese+heavy cream
> +garlic powder+salt.

I use it for some things too. I used some tonight. I had some nice thin
pork chops. I mixed up some garlic powder, salt, pepper, oregano and
chopped mint, rubbed it onto the chops and let them sit for an hour and
then grilled them for about 3 minutes on the grill at high heat. They were
delicious. I also use a dash of it in hamburgers. That is about all I use
it for, but it works great in those things.

George wrote:
> BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:
> > for one reason.  I use it in potato chip dip.  Cream cheese+heavy cream
> > +garlic powder+salt.

> Fresh garlic works well too and you get a nicer garlic taste.

I'm sure you've never tasted fresh garlic.

Sheldon

I have used several types of garlic. Cloves (for pesto), granulated garlic
powder on pizza. Also a bottle of dehydrated minced garlic came with a spice
rack. It almost doesn't completely rehydrate during cooking, then the packed
in oil minced garlic that gave me instant acne for a day. :(

I've used a garlic powder at the pizza parlor which is as fine as powdered
sugar.

Andy

In article <[email protected]>,
BOBOBOnoBO® <[email protected]> wrote:

> for one reason. I use it in potato chip dip. Cream cheese+heavy cream
> +garlic powder+salt.
>
> --Bryan

While I've used garlic powder for chip dip in the past, I much prefer
fresh, since the garlic is the main point for me.

GARIC AND HORSERADISH DIP
=========================

8 oz cream cheese, softened
milk
3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
2 jalapeno peppers, minced

Put cheese, milk, garlic and horseradish in bowl. Mix well, adding milk
to give your preferred consistency. Add peppers. I like the peppers to
be big enough to give some crunch in each bite, so I add them at the end
so they don't get smunched.

Dan Abel said...

> In article <[email protected]>,
> BOBOBOnoBO® <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> for one reason. I use it in potato chip dip. Cream cheese+heavy cream
>> +garlic powder+salt.
>>
>> --Bryan

> While I've used garlic powder for chip dip in the past, I much prefer
> fresh, since the garlic is the main point for me.
>
> GARIC AND HORSERADISH DIP
> =========================
>
> 8 oz cream cheese, softened
> milk
> 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
> 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
> 2 jalapeno peppers, minced

I'll try it using sour cream in place of the milk, for extra gloppiness and
that little extra oomph.

Andy

Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> Think if you served it at a party and someone asked what was in it,
>> and you had to admit it had packets of onion soup mix.

> Shrug. Most people really like it.
>
> Paul

Who cares what people think? Just say "it's a secret recipe" and move on.

BOBOBOnoBO® <[email protected]> wrote:
>for one reason. I use it in potato chip dip. Cream cheese+heavy cream
>+garlic powder+salt.

I have some, but it does the wrong things to me. Things fresh
garlic and dried minced garlic do not.

--Blair

Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote:
>The other day I caught part of another episode of Next Food
>Network Star. I take it a bag of groceries was left behind by
>someone. This really messed up one of the contestants because
>in it was his onion soup mix.
>
>Struck me as odd, and can't he just make up his own with the
>stuff they have on hand in the kitchen?

They were cross-plugging Sandra Lee.

--Blair
"That's why he had his shirt open."

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:04:33 -0500, Omelet <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> BOBOBOnoBO® <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> for one reason. I use it in potato chip dip. Cream cheese+heavy cream
>> +garlic powder+salt.
>>
>> --Bryan

>What's wrong with garlic powder, (aka granulated garlic)? :)
>
>It's handy for LOTS of things.
>
>So is onion powder.

I love onion powder!!

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:
>>
>> for one reason. I use it in potato chip dip. Cream cheese+heavy cream
>> +garlic powder+salt.

> I use it for some things too. I used some tonight. I had some nice thin
> pork chops. I mixed up some garlic powder, salt, pepper, oregano and
> chopped mint, rubbed it onto the chops and let them sit for an hour and
> then grilled them for about 3 minutes on the grill at high heat. They were
> delicious. I also use a dash of it in hamburgers. That is about all I use
> it for, but it works great in those things.

Though it has been 25 years or so since I last ate liver, I can tell you
that the "secret" to me liking it was garlic powder. I'd mix a quarter cup
of flower with 2 teaspoons of garlic powder. Then dredge the liver in it
and fry it in butter at a high temperature. It made a crispy skin and a
juicy interior. I cannot stand liver cooked any other way.

Paul

Nancy Young wrote:
> "hahabogus" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> You keep it next to the onion soup mix?

>> How did you know?

> I'm wise to his jive.
>
> The other day I caught part of another episode of Next Food
> Network Star. I take it a bag of groceries was left behind by
> someone. This really messed up one of the contestants because
> in it was his onion soup mix.
>
> Struck me as odd, and can't he just make up his own with the
> stuff they have on hand in the kitchen?
>
> nancy

I thought that was weird, too. Besides, what's so special about a burger
with onion soup mix in it?

kili

"kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> The other day I caught part of another episode of Next Food
>> Network Star. I take it a bag of groceries was left behind by
>> someone. This really messed up one of the contestants because
>> in it was his onion soup mix.
>>
>> Struck me as odd, and can't he just make up his own with the
>> stuff they have on hand in the kitchen?

> I thought that was weird, too. Besides, what's so special about a burger
> with onion soup mix in it?

I don't know. I can't imagine a contestant trying to win a cooking
show would rely on an ingredient like that. As Blair said, perhaps
they were aspiring to Sandra Lee. But then, it amazes me she is
considered a Food Network star, so what do I know.

nancy

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On Jun 27, 3:55 pm, zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
> > /Whatever/ you do, don't sprinkle garlic powder into the shoes and
> > combat boots of your college roommate who seems to have an aversion to
> > bathing (in the summer, no less.) Don't ask me how I know this.

> Hehe. That's great.
>
> Here's something from another newsgroup:

<snipped>

Why do some people think that when someone else acts like a jerk they
should act like a jerk in return?

--
Peter Aitken

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:26:37 -0700, BOBOBOnoBO® <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Jun 27, 5:20 pm, George <[email protected]> wrote:
>> BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:
>> > Here's something from another newsgroup:

>> > Since dogs scarf small
>> > pieces of meat whole, it will be some time before the capsule
>> > dissolves, but when it does extreme peristalsis will occur, and when
>> > the stuff reaches the large intestine, which has pain sensitive
>> > nerves,
>> > the dog--no matter how much of a 'good dog' he or she is--will not be
>> > able to control its bowels. Add to that the fact that the dog's
>> > asshole will also be burning like hell right after it *****, and you
>> > know what that'll lead to, right? You guessed it, butthole surfing
>> > across the carpets.
>> > Yeah, all those times I had to walk past that stinking dogshit on my
>> > way to catch the bus to school...It's fun to make the punishment fit
>> > the crime. "

>> > --Bryan

>> But wouldn't the correct action be to feed this to the dog *owner* if
>> they don't have a clue?

>Oh, they had "a clue." they just didn't care.

Your actions will cause the dog to be punished for having an
"accident" inside and also suffer pain because the owner is an idiot.
Please explain to us exactly *how* you think this act of animal
cruelty will teach the owner not to let that dog **** on the sidewalk
without cleaning it up. Do you plan to write a letter explaining your
train of thought.... and sign it with your real name?

How old are you? 14? That punishment does not the crime in any way,
shape or form. I'd tell you the correct way to deal with it, but you
sound too immature to be able to do it properly.

--
See return address to reply by email

On Jun 27, 7:51 pm, Sheldon <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 27, 6:04?pm, Omelet <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,

> > BOBOBOnoBO <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > for one reason. I use it in potato chip dip. Cream cheese+heavy cream
> > > +garlic powder+salt.

> > > --Bryan

> > What's wrong with garlic powder, (aka granulated garlic)? :)

> > It's handy for LOTS of things.

> > So is onion powder.

> If all the dehydrated food products were removed from the market
> eating would be very boring... no black pepper, no chocolate, no nuts,
> no beans, no tea and no coffee. Hey, put down that cheese... that
> sausage too. Bread is made from dehydrated wheat, so is pasta... and
> naturally so is rice dehydrated. Folks consume more dehydrated foods
> than non dehydrated. There's nothing wrong with dehydrated garlic,
> those heads of garlic at the stupidmarket are dried... hardly anyone
> tastes fresh garlic their entire life.

I do, or at least I will when my garlic crop comes in.

Tonight, however, I'm planning to use garlic powder in a rub for
grilled chicken
breasts.

Cindy Hamilton

kilikini wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "hahabogus" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>>> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote
>>> How did you know?

>> I'm wise to his jive.
>>
>> The other day I caught part of another episode of Next Food
>> Network Star. I take it a bag of groceries was left behind by
>> someone. This really messed up one of the contestants because
>> in it was his onion soup mix.
>>
>> Struck me as odd, and can't he just make up his own with the
>> stuff they have on hand in the kitchen?
>>
>> nancy

> I thought that was weird, too. Besides, what's so special about a burger
> with onion soup mix in it?
>
> kili

It would make it conform to the seemingly popular idea that nothing
should have its real taste.

Sheldon wrote:
> On Jun 27, 6:04?pm, Omelet <[email protected]> wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>>
>> BOBOBOnoBO <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> for one reason. I use it in potato chip dip. Cream cheese+heavy cream
>>> +garlic powder+salt.
>>> --Bryan

>> What's wrong with garlic powder, (aka granulated garlic)? :)
>>
>> It's handy for LOTS of things.
>>
>> So is onion powder.

> If all the dehydrated food products were removed from the market
> eating would be very boring... no black pepper, no chocolate, no nuts,
> no beans, no tea and no coffee. Hey, put down that cheese... that
> sausage too. Bread is made from dehydrated wheat, so is pasta... and
> naturally so is rice dehydrated. Folks consume more dehydrated foods
> than non dehydrated. There's nothing wrong with dehydrated garlic,
> those heads of garlic at the stupidmarket are dried... hardly anyone
> tastes fresh garlic their entire life. Every spice is used dried.
> Folks who knock dehy garlic really know zip about food, they know
> absolutely nothing, zero, nada.

So when I pull fresh garlic out of the garden what am I tasting?

Explain how the minimally dried garlic bulbs (there is almost no
difference between them and what I find in the garden) are the same as
garlic powder. When garlic powder is made aromatics are driven off.
Garlic powder certainly isn't evil but it isn't the same as fresh.

Just because "every spice is used dried" doesn't mean they are as good
as fresh. Dried dill, coriander, mint, etc aren't even close to fresh.

"kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote

> I thought that was weird, too. Besides, what's so special about a burger
> with onion soup mix in it?

The only thing my husband ever cooked was burgers on the grill with
onion soup mix in them. Dead salty, hard little balls of meat his parents
raved about, way overcooked because "raw meat will kill you."

He wouldn't give them up, long after he stopped grilling, so I began
using onion flakes, garlic powder, fresh cracked pepper and a fraction
of the salt. He likes these better. (I think the only thing missing is the
boullion, and who needs that when it is beef you're cooking?

I like the onion and garlic abut also like plain burgers with only
salt and pepper, loaded down with fresh vegetables.

In his family, his mother never cooked anything that was "too
messy."

In the years we've been married he has come around to some
of the best things in life being messy. :)

Sheldon wrote:
> George wrote:
>> BOBOBOnoBO� wrote:
>>> for one reason. �I use it in potato chip dip. �Cream cheese+heavy cream
>>> +garlic powder+salt.

>> Fresh garlic works well too and you get a nicer garlic taste.

> I'm sure you've never tasted fresh garlic.
>
> Sheldon

If you say so. That is as accurate as your "no young person has tasted a
real pizza".