I'm doomed! Something I ate...

John Leslie wrote:
> On Tue, 9 May 2006 08:57:50 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> You keep saying there is no way to avoid eating at their home. May
>> I ask why?

> I can think of ten reasons off the top of my head. Mostly
> because they're friends of some sort and it would obviously be
> awkward to decline.

If the food was making me ill, I wouldn't really hesitate to broach the
subject with whoever it is. Third time might be the charm, then it would be
proof positive (albeit unpleasantly so) it's something in that
household/food prep.

> Certainly your widdle head can come up with at least a few
> plausible reasons to satisfy your curiosity without having to get
> nosy, no?

Hey, Donna and I know each other well enough, if she didn't want to answer
the question she'd tell me so, no problem. I was actually thinking it might
be a work-related political type thing where the boss insisted they come
over for dinner after they'd had them over. I know that can be awkward.

> ObFood: Homemade beef and pork meatball sandwiches (on
> store-bought bolillos) with homegrown tomato marinara.
>
> -sw and jl

OB Food: Baked potato stuffed with broccoli and cheese.

Jill

"D.Currie" wrote:

> Last time, I joked about how I might bring my own food and explain that I'm
> on some sort of restricted diet, but I don't think I'd be able to get away
> with that. And like I said, there's no way we can get away with not going
> there for dinner on somewhat regular occasions.

***** and complain about the food. After each meal there, instead of suffering
in silence, phone her up and ask what the hell she gave you that made you so
ill. After a few calls like that you won't have to worry about declining
invitations. She won't invite you.
:)

> That's why we didn't say anything the first time. Now it's getting a
> little suspicious. But we're still going to approach the subject
> carefully. It could still be an odd coincidence.
>
> Donna

Perhaps a call to Dr. Laura --
(But possibly, that could be a worse fate.)
Dee Dee

D.Currie <[email protected]> wrote:

> No lo-cal anything, no fake fats, unless you count her mystery
> margarine, which is her own concoction of margarine (I think)
> and something sweet like corn syrup.

> I think it might be more of a storage issue, where something
> was kept beyond its prime.

Mixing and storing this margarine mixture, combined with
any small lack of sanitation, sounds like an excellent
way to breed microbes. Does she mix it up days ahead of
time?

Steve

[email protected] writes:
>> That's why we didn't say anything the first time. Now it's getting a
>> little suspicious. But we're still going to approach the subject
>> carefully. It could still be an odd coincidence.
>>
>> Donna
>>

>Perhaps a call to Dr. Laura --
>(But possibly, that could be a worse fate.)

or Psychic Friends Network

Steve Pope wrote:
> D.Currie <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> No lo-cal anything, no fake fats, unless you count her mystery
>> margarine, which is her own concoction of margarine (I think)
>> and something sweet like corn syrup.

>> I think it might be more of a storage issue, where something
>> was kept beyond its prime.

> Mixing and storing this margarine mixture, combined with
> any small lack of sanitation, sounds like an excellent
> way to breed microbes. Does she mix it up days ahead of
> time?
>

> Steve

That sounds like the most likely suspect to me too.

Bob

"Steve Pope" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> D.Currie <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> No lo-cal anything, no fake fats, unless you count her mystery
>> margarine, which is her own concoction of margarine (I think)
>> and something sweet like corn syrup.

>> I think it might be more of a storage issue, where something
>> was kept beyond its prime.

> Mixing and storing this margarine mixture, combined with
> any small lack of sanitation, sounds like an excellent
> way to breed microbes. Does she mix it up days ahead of
> time?
>

> Steve

There's a good question. All I know is that she always has a bowl of it,
which I assume she keeps in the fridge between uses. How long it lasts, and
whether she cleans the bowl between refillings is anybody's guess.

I'd guess that it's about a stick or so of margarine in that bowl, plus
whatever else she adds that makes it sweet. Corn syrup, I think. And maybe
she add something else, maybe some kind of oil. She told me once and my
brain just went numb.

Unless she's using a heck of a lot of it, I'd bet that it sits in the fridge
for some time.

Donna

D.Currie wrote:
> "nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

[snip]
> > Speaking for myself, if I had been the hostess, I would be disappointed
> > if my guest hadn't told me about it. Especially since this was the
> > second occurance. It might be something they could correct.

> I'm trying to figure out a way to broach the topic.

What's to figure out? Call them up and tell her you're both sick.
Either you're the only ones or you'll learn that others also got sick.
If that's the case, maybe they know what it was or what to do about it.
What possible good can come from keeping this secret from them? -aem

>> This isn't a relative that we dislike. Her cooking skills were never
>> good and she doesn't care;

> Lots of people are like that.
>
>> company. Some of the meals are better than others. This is the first
>> time we've had ill effects

> No, it's the second LOL

Oh yeah. :-(

>> As far as the cookbook it's mine! MINE! MIIINE!!! bwa ha ha... :)

> I didn't say *give* it to her! LOL Sounds like she wouldn't be
> interested
> in looking at it anyway.

She'd look at it, mentally remove half of the ingredients in each recipe,
and then we'd be in real trouble.

> I like the idea of you asking her about the beans. If they were truly
> home-canned by someone else, you could just rave about them and ask if
> she'd
> part with the last couple of jars and then, yes, you could toss them! Or
> you could hope she doesn't have 12 jars of them and only gives you two.
> But
> that would be two down, 10 to go! ;)
>
> Jill

Somebody probably gave her one or two jars. I doubt she's got 'em stockpiled
in the basement.

Donna

"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> That's why we didn't say anything the first time. Now it's getting a
>> little suspicious. But we're still going to approach the subject
>> carefully. It could still be an odd coincidence.
>>
>> Donna
>>

> Perhaps a call to Dr. Laura --
> (But possibly, that could be a worse fate.)
> Dee Dee

Maybe Food 911? Haven't seen the show, but it sounds like the right idea.

Donna

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "D.Currie" wrote:
>

>> Last time, I joked about how I might bring my own food and explain that
>> I'm
>> on some sort of restricted diet, but I don't think I'd be able to get
>> away
>> with that. And like I said, there's no way we can get away with not going
>> there for dinner on somewhat regular occasions.

> ***** and complain about the food. After each meal there, instead of
> suffering
> in silence, phone her up and ask what the hell she gave you that made you
> so
> ill. After a few calls like that you won't have to worry about declining
> invitations. She won't invite you.
> :)

Nah, she'd just make a pot of chicken soup and send it over for me. :)

Donna

"D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote

> Unless she's using a heck of a lot of it, I'd bet that it sits in the
> fridge for some time.

You know, it's just worrisome to me that you're getting
sick over there. I'm with the person who says bring something
you can eat, unobtrusively, of course. I have no sense of humor
when it comes to food poisoning. Take care of yourself.

nancy

D.Currie wrote:

> > The mystery here is what could be causing one person to get sick and not
> > others. Cleanliness issues would get to everyone. That's why I keep
> > going back to an artificial ingredient, maybe a sugar substitute. I'm
> > recalling a time when I was in elementary school. Dad came home with some
> > sort of lo-cal candy. We all ate it. Dad, my brother and I got sick to
> > our stomachs. Mom was fine.

When I lived on campus, I often got sick on ground beef when nobody
else in the whole house would - I'm just more sensitive to it than
others, I suspect. Now, if I don't use ground beef the day I get it, I
freeze it.

N.

On Tue, 9 May 2006 10:54:43 -0600, in rec.food.cooking, "D.Currie"
<[email protected]> hit the crackpipe and declared:

>One time, I was in the kitchen, ready to bring the desserts to the table.
>She's dishing out large hunks of the latest cake creation and she tells me
>that it's a new recipe that someone gave her, and she already tried a little
>bit of it earlier, and it's not very good. It's pretty bad, actually. And
>she's saying this while she's dishing it out to serve.

That's pretty rude and inconsiderate. Why do you feel that you need
to be so polite and delicate about telling this person that you've
become ill after eating at her house (twice even!)? Sheesh!

In article <[email protected]>,
"D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I may just go the easy route and join some religion and/or cult with strict
> dietary restrictions that would preclude eating anything she cooks. Or maybe
> one with a lot of fasting. Sure, I'll come for dinner. Bread (that I made)
> and water, please.

Any part of the Eastern Orthodox church has quite a bit more fasting
and abstinent periods than any other branch of Christianity. If you
want to keep celebrating Christmas, rather than Epiphany, and have
Easter on the same days, you can try Byzantine Rite Catholocism, or
perhaps another Eastern Rite in the Catholic church. Just trying to
help. :)

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

D.Currie wrote:
> "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "D.Currie" wrote:
>>

>>> Last time, I joked about how I might bring my own food and explain
>>> that I'm
>>> on some sort of restricted diet, but I don't think I'd be able to
>>> get away
>>> with that. And like I said, there's no way we can get away with not
>>> going there for dinner on somewhat regular occasions.

>> ***** and complain about the food. After each meal there, instead of
>> suffering
>> in silence, phone her up and ask what the hell she gave you that
>> made you so
>> ill. After a few calls like that you won't have to worry about
>> declining invitations. She won't invite you.
>> :)
>>

> Nah, she'd just make a pot of chicken soup and send it over for me.
> :)
>
> Donna

LOL but maybe it would be Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup! She doesn't sound
like the type to make it from scratch, Donna :) If you still got sick you
could sue Campbell's (j/k)

Jill

"projectile vomit chick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 9 May 2006 10:54:43 -0600, in rec.food.cooking, "D.Currie"
> <[email protected]> hit the crackpipe and declared:
>>
>>One time, I was in the kitchen, ready to bring the desserts to the table.
>>She's dishing out large hunks of the latest cake creation and she tells me
>>that it's a new recipe that someone gave her, and she already tried a
>>little
>>bit of it earlier, and it's not very good. It's pretty bad, actually. And
>>she's saying this while she's dishing it out to serve.

> That's pretty rude and inconsiderate. Why do you feel that you need
> to be so polite and delicate about telling this person that you've
> become ill after eating at her house (twice even!)? Sheesh!

You'd have to know her. She wasn't being rude, that's just the way she feels
about food. What it tastes like doesn't matter, and you don't waste food. So
she served it.

Donna

On Tue, 9 May 2006 19:10:43 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>LOL but maybe it would be Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup! She doesn't sound
>like the type to make it from scratch, Donna :)

She probably buys dented cans. ROFL

On Tue, 9 May 2006 18:35:09 -0600, in rec.food.cooking, "D.Currie"
<[email protected]> hit the crackpipe and declared:

>"projectile vomit chick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Tue, 9 May 2006 10:54:43 -0600, in rec.food.cooking, "D.Currie"
>> <[email protected]> hit the crackpipe and declared:
>>>
>>>One time, I was in the kitchen, ready to bring the desserts to the table.
>>>She's dishing out large hunks of the latest cake creation and she tells me
>>>that it's a new recipe that someone gave her, and she already tried a
>>>little
>>>bit of it earlier, and it's not very good. It's pretty bad, actually. And
>>>she's saying this while she's dishing it out to serve.

>> That's pretty rude and inconsiderate. Why do you feel that you need
>> to be so polite and delicate about telling this person that you've
>> become ill after eating at her house (twice even!)? Sheesh!
>>

>You'd have to know her. She wasn't being rude, that's just the way she feels
>about food. What it tastes like doesn't matter, and you don't waste food. So
>she served it.

Too bad with her feelings about food, she also feels the need to
invite others to dine at her house <g>

Nancy2 wrote:

> When I lived on campus, I often got sick on ground beef when nobody
> else in the whole house would - I'm just more sensitive to it than
> others, I suspect. Now, if I don't use ground beef the day I get it, I
> freeze it.

I can think of a number of food items that don't agree with me (a polite
term for the symptoms we all know too well) but that are fine for the
rest of the population. Some of those make sense given my medical
history, and some are just weird. In every case, though, the foods get
to me every time, not just when they're served at a particular person's
house.

That's what makes this question so puzzling. We can all think of things
that would make everyone who ate them sick (spoiled food, rancid oil,
cleanliness issues). We can all think of foods that make an individual
sick every time he or she eats them. Neither of those is the original
poster's question. There seems to be a food that doesn't bother her
normally but that does when served at her relative's home, and that food
doesn't make anyone else sick.

--Lia