I'm doomed! Something I ate...

"Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote

> sick every time he or she eats them. Neither of those is the original
> poster's question. There seems to be a food that doesn't bother her
> normally but that does when served at her relative's home, and that food
> doesn't make anyone else sick.

She said her husband also wasn't feeling well.

nancy

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote
>

>>sick every time he or she eats them. Neither of those is the original
>>poster's question. There seems to be a food that doesn't bother her
>>normally but that does when served at her relative's home, and that food
>>doesn't make anyone else sick.

> She said her husband also wasn't feeling well.

True. But what about the family of people serving the food?

Here's an idea. She said the relatives were elderly. Maybe they have
persistent digestion problems, really aren't feeling well most days and
have given up on figuring out whether they're feeling bad because of
something they ate or are suffering the ups and downs of bad digestion.
Emotional states can do this too, and it has nothing to do with diet
("the nervous stomach"). Maybe the hosts WERE feeling ill but thinking
it wasn't worth mentioning.

--Lia

On Tue, 9 May 2006 12:47:59 -0500, Steve Wertz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 9 May 2006 07:12:03 -0700, Nancy2 wrote:
>
>> Steve Wertz wrote:

>>> Oh. My. God.
>>>
>>> Not that it's very dangerous - I eat raw (ready to cook) ham all
>>> the time, but this is hardly a way to cook for guests.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Most hams sold today (unless you ask for something different) are fully
>> cooked and/or fully cured. There is nothing wrong with eating it as
>> is. Raw ham is just raw pork.
>>
>> The hams you buy, even with the leg bone in, just need to be heated to
>> be ready - they've already been cooked.

>Yeah, forgot about those "ready to heat" hams. My supermarket is
>2/3rd's "ready to cook" (still raw) hams, and 1/3rd "ready to
>heat" hams (already cooked). That's for the bone-in hams.
>
>I forgot that people actually buy those awful pre-cooked hams,
>but they're not the majority at Austin supermarkets.
>
>-sw

Interesting. Uncooked hams are rarely found at the supermarket from
my experience. (Phoenix metro area). I'm aware they exist, but I
always thought you had to search them out.

I guess I've been eating awful pre-cooked hams all my life.

Anyway, the microwave part is a red flag that the meal is probably not
going to be good. I don't mean unhealthful, but probably not real
tasty. Let me guess... In-laws?

I think that soap can cause intestinal problems. Sometimes folks don't
rinse the dishes well enough.

Maybe chug a half bottle of Pepto before the next visit :)

Tom

On Wed, 10 May 2006 08:47:54 -0400, Julia Altshuler
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Nancy Young wrote:
>> "Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote
>>

>>>sick every time he or she eats them. Neither of those is the original
>>>poster's question. There seems to be a food that doesn't bother her
>>>normally but that does when served at her relative's home, and that food
>>>doesn't make anyone else sick.

>> She said her husband also wasn't feeling well.

>True. But what about the family of people serving the food?
>

>Here's an idea. She said the relatives were elderly. Maybe they have
>persistent digestion problems, really aren't feeling well most days and
>have given up on figuring out whether they're feeling bad because of
>something they ate or are suffering the ups and downs of bad digestion.
> Emotional states can do this too, and it has nothing to do with diet
>("the nervous stomach"). Maybe the hosts WERE feeling ill but thinking
>it wasn't worth mentioning.
>

>--Lia

Is it possible some people build a resistance to bacteria they are
constantly exposed to but guests on the other hand could get sick?
Sort of the way Montezuma's revenge doesn't affect the locals.

Tom

"Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote
>>

>>>sick every time he or she eats them. Neither of those is the original
>>>poster's question. There seems to be a food that doesn't bother her
>>>normally but that does when served at her relative's home, and that food
>>>doesn't make anyone else sick.

>> She said her husband also wasn't feeling well.

> True. But what about the family of people serving the food?

I haven't talked to them yet. I assigned that task to DH.

> Here's an idea. She said the relatives were elderly. Maybe they have
> persistent digestion problems, really aren't feeling well most days and
> have given up on figuring out whether they're feeling bad because of
> something they ate or are suffering the ups and downs of bad digestion.

Possibly true. The husband was ill several times during lent after eating
fish (served with what, I don't know) and they attributed it to some
medication he was taking (he volunteered for some drug trial).

> Emotional states can do this too, and it has nothing to do with diet
> ("the nervous stomach"). Maybe the hosts WERE feeling ill but thinking it
> wasn't worth mentioning.

There may be other factors involved as to who had bad effects and who
didn't -- how much was eaten, what else was eaten with it, what proportion
of the "bad" food compared to the rest of the meal, how full the stomach was
before eating...Perhaps even susceptibility to whatever it was that was
eaten.

DH thought he was just suffering from indigestion.

Donna

"D.Currie" wrote:

> "clining
> > invitations. She won't invite you.
> > :)

> Nah, she'd just make a pot of chicken soup and send it over for me. :)

But she won't be able to see you dump it down the drain :)

On Mon, 8 May 2006 23:57:46 -0600, "D.Currie"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I may just go the easy route and join some religion and/or cult with strict
>dietary restrictions that would preclude eating anything she cooks. Or maybe
>one with a lot of fasting. Sure, I'll come for dinner. Bread (that I made)
>and water, please.
>
>Donna

Tell them you're on the 'Christopher Adkins' diet.

Tom

On Tue, 9 May 2006 13:20:04 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I like the idea of you asking her about the beans. If they were truly
>home-canned by someone else, you could just rave about them and ask if she'd
>part with the last couple of jars and then, yes, you could toss them! Or
>you could hope she doesn't have 12 jars of them and only gives you two. But
>that would be two down, 10 to go! ;)
>
>Jill

That can backfire if you recall the Aunt Bea's pickle episode.

Tom

On Wed, 10 May 2006 10:23:50 -0700, Tom Yost wrote:

> On Tue, 9 May 2006 12:47:59 -0500, Steve Wertz
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Yeah, forgot about those "ready to heat" hams. My supermarket is
>>2/3rd's "ready to cook" (still raw) hams, and 1/3rd "ready to
>>heat" hams (already cooked). That's for the bone-in hams.
>>
>>I forgot that people actually buy those awful pre-cooked hams,
>>but they're not the majority at Austin supermarkets.

> Interesting. Uncooked hams are rarely found at the supermarket from
> my experience. (Phoenix metro area). I'm aware they exist, but I
> always thought you had to search them out.

I looked last night and all but one (not one brand, but one,
single ham) of the bone-in hams were "ready to cook" hams rather
than "heat and serve". The boneless, shaped hams were already
cooked.

My stores carries mostly the Smithfield wet-cured hams. Which
are superior (IMO) to any other ham I've tried.

-sw

On Wed, 10 May 2006 10:29:36 -0700, in rec.food.cooking, Tom Yost
<[email protected]> hit the crackpipe and declared:
>On Wed, 10 May 2006 08:47:54 -0400, Julia Altshuler
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Nancy Young wrote:
>>> "Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> She said her husband also wasn't feeling well.

>>True. But what about the family of people serving the food?
>>

>>Here's an idea. She said the relatives were elderly. Maybe they have
>>persistent digestion problems, really aren't feeling well most days and
>>have given up on figuring out whether they're feeling bad because of
>>something they ate or are suffering the ups and downs of bad digestion.
>> Emotional states can do this too, and it has nothing to do with diet
>>("the nervous stomach"). Maybe the hosts WERE feeling ill but thinking
>>it wasn't worth mentioning.
>>

>>--Lia

>Is it possible some people build a resistance to bacteria they are
>constantly exposed to but guests on the other hand could get sick?
>Sort of the way Montezuma's revenge doesn't affect the locals.
>
>Tom

If you ate at a restaurant regularly, and you became ill twice, you
would say something to the manager, no? So why is it so unacceptable
to say something to this tasteless **** that keeps serving up even
more tasteless **** to people that for whatever reason are compelled
to eat at her house?

D.Currie wrote:

>"Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>

>>Nancy Young wrote:
>>

>>>"Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote

>>>She said her husband also wasn't feeling well.
>>>

>>True. But what about the family of people serving the food?
>>

>I haven't talked to them yet. I assigned that task to DH.
>

>>Here's an idea. She said the relatives were elderly. Maybe they have
>>persistent digestion problems, really aren't feeling well most days and
>>have given up on figuring out whether they're feeling bad because of
>>something they ate or are suffering the ups and downs of bad digestion.
>>

>Possibly true. The husband was ill several times during lent after eating
>fish (served with what, I don't know) and they attributed it to some
>medication he was taking (he volunteered for some drug trial).
>

>> Emotional states can do this too, and it has nothing to do with diet
>>("the nervous stomach"). Maybe the hosts WERE feeling ill but thinking it
>>wasn't worth mentioning.
>>

>There may be other factors involved as to who had bad effects and who
>didn't -- how much was eaten, what else was eaten with it, what proportion
>of the "bad" food compared to the rest of the meal, how full the stomach was
>before eating...Perhaps even susceptibility to whatever it was that was
>eaten.
>
>DH thought he was just suffering from indigestion.
>
>Donna

Could you perhaps arrange for them to come for meals at *your* place?
When my mother started to lose it in the cooking department we started
to think of all sorts of reasons why it was more convenient for them to
come to us. At one stage they used to pay for the meat so honour was
preserved, but we don't worry about that these days.

Since your relatives are elderly, the problem might be poor food hygeine
on top of an existing lack of culinary competence. It's a wonder that my
parents haven't succumbed to food poisoning. Dad has no idea of how long
to keep food or how to store it. He is oblivious to the whole concept of
use by dates - the label might say "use within three days of opening"
but it doesn't occur to him to check the label. On one celebrated
occasion they went away for a week, having accidentally switched off the
freezer before they left (don't ask...). My brother came in to find them
with a whole lot of butter on the kitchen bench, discussing whether or
not to put it back in the freezer! Brother just picked it up and took it
out to the rubbish bin without saying a word.

SIL and I give them food packed in very small quantities, to be frozen
if not eaten immediately - if you give them a whole casserole they heat
it, eat a little bit, refrigerate it eventually, heat it again and eat
another little bit, and so on for over a week.We reckon they're immune
to food poisoning, but actually I suspect that they get attacks of the
collywobbles more often than they admit to, and tell themselves that
it's a bug, or the new medication or somesuch.

Christine

Old Mother Ashby wrote:
<snip>

Dad has no idea of how long to keep food or how to store it. He is
oblivious to the whole concept of
> use by dates - the label might say "use within three days of opening"
> but it doesn't occur to him to check the label.

> Christine

This sounds very much like my father-in-law. He lives alone and
whenever we go visit him one of the first things I do is clean out his
fridge. (he doesn't really cook for himself, he is always happy for me
to cook so I have an excuse to be in there messing around)
I have thrown away some very scary stuff...

The last time I was there he had a half gallon of milk that was over a
week past date, some grey bacon, he had yogurt in the draw from our
visit LAST summer *shiver* It was very scary. I imagine he does the
same things as your parents concerning left overs. Some of his
neighbors bring him home cooked meals. It's almost all that was in the
fridge.
(I also won't eat the home canned apple butter at his house - he opens
it and leaves it in the pantry. It's a real shame cause I LOVE apple
butter)

Roberta (in VA)

Roberta wrote:

> The last time I was there he had a half gallon of milk that was over a
> week past date, some grey bacon, he had yogurt in the draw from our
> visit LAST summer *shiver* It was very scary.

Milk, contrary to your belief, does not mysteriously become poisonous
after the "sall by date" marked on the jug if it's been kept quite cold.
You might have given it the sniff test to be sure first?
The other items were scarier.

"Roberta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Old Mother Ashby wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Dad has no idea of how long to keep food or how to store it. He is
> oblivious to the whole concept of
>> use by dates - the label might say "use within three days of opening" but
>> it doesn't occur to him to check the label.

>> Christine

> This sounds very much like my father-in-law. He lives alone and whenever
> we go visit him one of the first things I do is clean out his fridge. (he
> doesn't really cook for himself, he is always happy for me to cook so I
> have an excuse to be in there messing around)
> I have thrown away some very scary stuff...
>
> The last time I was there he had a half gallon of milk that was over a
> week past date, some grey bacon, he had yogurt in the draw from our visit
> LAST summer *shiver* It was very scary. I imagine he does the same
> things as your parents concerning left overs. Some of his neighbors bring
> him home cooked meals. It's almost all that was in the fridge.
> (I also won't eat the home canned apple butter at his house - he opens it
> and leaves it in the pantry. It's a real shame cause I LOVE apple butter)
>
> Roberta (in VA)

You're a good d-i-l, Roberta. DH does this same this for his father; I
don't touch it, or the subject, that refrigerator and microwave!

Here's a funny: If we store a bottle of wine at his place so we can have a
drink when we arrive -- long drive! -- we've had to hide it because he gives
it away! Food and drink in the house of the elderly can take on extra
dimensions of what they can do with it.
So we learned that we have to travel to his house with a bottle of wine.
Silly.
Dee Dee

Goomba38 wrote:
> Roberta wrote:
>
>> The last time I was there he had a half gallon of milk that was over a
>> week past date, some grey bacon, he had yogurt in the draw from our
>> visit LAST summer *shiver* It was very scary.

> Milk, contrary to your belief, does not mysteriously become poisonous
> after the "sall by date" marked on the jug if it's been kept quite cold.
> You might have given it the sniff test to be sure first?
> The other items were scarier.

yup. In my experience, it starts tasting off days before the "expiration
date".

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.cmayes.net/blog/

"This morning, I woke up
Feeling brand new and I jumped up
Feeling my highs, and my lows
In my soul, and my goals
Just to stop smokin, and stop drinkin
And I've been thinkin - I've got my reasons
Just to get by, just to get by" -Talib Kweli

"Old Mother Ashby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Could you perhaps arrange for them to come for meals at *your* place? When
> my mother started to lose it in the cooking department we started to think
> of all sorts of reasons why it was more convenient for them to come to us.
> At one stage they used to pay for the meat so honour was preserved, but we
> don't worry about that these days.
>

> Christine

I wouldn't put them in the "elderly" camp as far as mentally or physically.
They're older than we are, to be sure, but they aren't weak, infirm, or
addled.

As far as having them here for dinner, that's about a one-for-one thing. And
sometimes when we dine there, it's because she's invited another person or
couple, and she wants us as conversational fillers. So in those cases, the
dining has to be at their place.

The problem with having them here more often is that it's just so hard to
fit what they will eat into what I normally cook. Conversely, we're not
picky eaters. We like good food, but we aren't going to make a fuss at
somebody's house if they serve us fish sticks and tater tots. So she can
serve anything and we're fine, but having them here becomes an ordeal for
me.

They have a very narrow range of foods/cuisines/food styles/spices that
they'll eat, and it becomes a major undertaking to keep my head straight as
to what they'll eat and what they won't. In the end, I usually end up making
multiple things so that they're be able to assemble a full meal from what
I've put out. And I have to eliminate from the list all the things I know
they won't eat, which includes things that appear on our menu daily.

Either that, or I end up on the phone beforehand grilling them as to whether
they'll eat the things that I'm planning on making, and changing the menu
and spices and add-ons and preparation accordingly. And with every meal I
make, they seem to bring up yet another thing that they don't like. And of
course, there are things that one will eat that the other won't.

The things that they think are good, I don't care to cook or serve in my
home. Jarred Ragu, I'll eat at their house to be polite, but I'm not going
to serve it and eat it here. Even the foods that we cook in common are
prepared so differently (and that they seem to enjoy) at their house, it's
hard for me to figure out what they really like.

Quite frankly, they want to dine with us way more often than I'm willing to
go through that sort of preparation and brain damage. I work two weekends a
month, and even though I work from home, it doesn't give me the time or
mental energy those weekends to deal with shopping and cooking for them.

If they could come here and just eat the stuff we eat, that would be
different. But that's not going to happen. Right now I'm feeling a little
testy because they'll probably be coming here this Sunday and I'm struggling
to come up with something to serve. It may be hamburgers, because right now
I can't think of anything else. Which means I'll probably have to go buy
Kraft American cheese food for them. And canned baked beans.

We're related to these folks, they live close by, and other than food
things, we normally don't have problems with them. We actually like them and
enjoy their company. Our food styles are so far apart, though, that it's a
huge chasm to cross. Even restaurant choices are an issue. We end up going
to Country Buffet with them because they wouldn't go to any of the
restaurants that we like.

As far as our illness, this is two times out of the many we've eaten there,
and the "home-canned" beans are the likely culprit, which isn't necessarily
her fault -- she got them from someone else. They apparently didn't get sick
(or not enough to admit to it) and the other couple hasn't been heard from
since, so no clue there. And I was affected a lot more than DH, so whatever
it was, apparently I was most susceptible to it. The first time around, it
didn't hit me as hard as this time, so maybe the first time was just a
little indigestion, and this was a different thing.

Donna

D.Currie wrote:
<snip>

If they cannot be bothered to serve you food that won't make you sick,
why do you accommodate their "taste in ass disease", as Sheldon would say?

They might actually like real cheeseburgers and real baked beans made
with molasses and bacon or whatever, you never know.
Or you could spike their food with laxatives, but that's just mean :)

--

D.Currie wrote:

> They have a very narrow range of foods/cuisines/food styles/spices that
> they'll eat, and it becomes a major undertaking to keep my head straight as
> to what they'll eat and what they won't. In the end, I usually end up making
> multiple things so that they're be able to assemble a full meal from what
> I've put out. And I have to eliminate from the list all the things I know
> they won't eat, which includes things that appear on our menu daily.

The more you tell me about your relatives, the more convinced I am that
they have a diverticulae disease which gives them alternating bouts with
constipation and diarrhea, that they don't understand it well themselves
and that they are too polite to mention what the real problem is.
They're also picky. That would explain why they keep zeroing in on one
ingredient or another that they won't eat. It isn't that they don't
like it; it is that they think it might be the culprit the last time
they got sick. When you're that sick, you think about everything you
ate in the last 2 days and aim wide, removing everything from your diet
that might be to blame.

--Lia

<snip>

> The problem with having them here more often is that it's just so hard to
> fit what they will eat into what I normally cook. Conversely, we're not
> picky eaters. We like good food, but we aren't going to make a fuss at
> somebody's house if they serve us fish sticks and tater tots. So she can
> serve anything and we're fine, but having them here becomes an ordeal for
> me.
>
> They have a very narrow range of foods/cuisines/food styles/spices that
> they'll eat, and it becomes a major undertaking to keep my head straight
> as to what they'll eat and what they won't. In the end, I usually end up
> making multiple things so that they're be able to assemble a full meal
> from what I've put out. And I have to eliminate from the list all the
> things I know they won't eat, which includes things that appear on our
> menu daily.

<snip>

> We're related to these folks, they live close by, and other than food
> things, we normally don't have problems with them. We actually like them
> and enjoy their company. Our food styles are so far apart, though, that
> it's a huge chasm to cross. Even restaurant choices are an issue. We end
> up going to Country Buffet with them because they wouldn't go to any of
> the restaurants that we like.

<snip>
> Donna

============

Hey Donna,

Ummm... Wow. Is there any way that you can just state your last paragraph
to them? Even say that it's amazing how many things you have in common -
except where food is concerned? Different strokes for different folks? We
(you!) love spending time with them and doing things together but that you
really don't have similar food interests and that's one thing that you can
agree to disagree on...

Syssi

"sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> D.Currie wrote:
> <snip>
>
> If they cannot be bothered to serve you food that won't make you sick, why
> do you accommodate their "taste in ass disease", as Sheldon would say?
>
> They might actually like real cheeseburgers and real baked beans made with
> molasses and bacon or whatever, you never know.
> Or you could spike their food with laxatives, but that's just mean :)

I was thinking of playing a game of Tamale Roulette. A bunch of mild (mild
enough for them) tamales, and one killer hot tamale. Ooops....how did that
get in there? :)

But really, aside from our vast difference of opinion regarding food, we get
along well. When we go there, I figure we're going for the company. My
regret when they come here is that I enjoy cooking for people, and I wish I
could make them something a little more spectacular and that they'd enjoy
it.

Donna