I'm doomed! Something I ate...

In article <[email protected]>,
"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I screwed up -- I meant:
> My biggest pet peeve regarding people's idiosyncrasies with food is when
> they say that they will eat anything, but that there is nothing they like.
> DeeDee

There are several things I don't like, but unless you serve me
insects or something like that, I will eat it if it is served. I may
scrape out some of it, if I can do so without being obvious, but other
than that, I was taught to eat what was served (unless you have a
medical or religious reason not to).

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

"Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I screwed up -- I meant:
>> My biggest pet peeve regarding people's idiosyncrasies with food is when
>> they say that they will eat anything, but that there is nothing they
>> like.
>> DeeDee

> There are several things I don't like, but unless you serve me
> insects or something like that, I will eat it if it is served. I may
> scrape out some of it, if I can do so without being obvious, but other
> than that, I was taught to eat what was served (unless you have a
> medical or religious reason not to).

This is one of the reasons I tend to serve everything "family style" when I
have company. So people can choose what to eat, and how much of it. I feel
that adults have the right to not eat things if they don't like them. This
includes salads and dressings. The salad will appear in a large bowl, and if
someone wants to work around the cukes or tomatoes or whatever, that's fine.

And this may be weird, but I feel that there should be enough extra so
anyone who wants seconds, thirds, or more can go for it, and there will
still be leftovers to put away. If ALL of something is eaten, I'd feel like
I haven't made enough of it.

Last time we ate at MIL's house I brought a dozen buns for dinner. There
were going to be 6 people. I figured some might want 2 (my FIL always has at
least 2 servings when I bring or make fresh bread or buns). My MIL put out 6
buns for 6 people and put the rest away somewhere.

Donna

"D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> I screwed up -- I meant:
>>> My biggest pet peeve regarding people's idiosyncrasies with food is when
>>> they say that they will eat anything, but that there is nothing they
>>> like.
>>> DeeDee

>> There are several things I don't like, but unless you serve me
>> insects or something like that, I will eat it if it is served. I may
>> scrape out some of it, if I can do so without being obvious, but other
>> than that, I was taught to eat what was served (unless you have a
>> medical or religious reason not to).

> This is one of the reasons I tend to serve everything "family style" when
> I have company. So people can choose what to eat, and how much of it. I
> feel that adults have the right to not eat things if they don't like them.
> This includes salads and dressings. The salad will appear in a large bowl,
> and if someone wants to work around the cukes or tomatoes or whatever,
> that's fine.
>
> And this may be weird, but I feel that there should be enough extra so
> anyone who wants seconds, thirds, or more can go for it, and there will
> still be leftovers to put away. If ALL of something is eaten, I'd feel
> like I haven't made enough of it.
>
> Last time we ate at MIL's house I brought a dozen buns for dinner. There
> were going to be 6 people. I figured some might want 2 (my FIL always has
> at least 2 servings when I bring or make fresh bread or buns). My MIL put
> out 6 buns for 6 people and put the rest away somewhere.
>
> Donna

At home, more often than not, I will take less on firsts, knowing I can
have seconds if I want. I love to have seconds.

But if I'm at someone's home, I don't take seconds, so I'm still
HUNGRY! --hoping for dessert.

Dee Dee

"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> There are several things I don't like, but unless you serve me
>>> insects or something like that, I will eat it if it is served. I may
>>> scrape out some of it, if I can do so without being obvious, but other
>>> than that, I was taught to eat what was served (unless you have a
>>> medical or religious reason not to).

>> This is one of the reasons I tend to serve everything "family style" when
>> I have company. So people can choose what to eat, and how much of it. I
>> feel that adults have the right to not eat things if they don't like
>> them. This includes salads and dressings. The salad will appear in a
>> large bowl, and if someone wants to work around the cukes or tomatoes or
>> whatever, that's fine.
>>
>> And this may be weird, but I feel that there should be enough extra so
>> anyone who wants seconds, thirds, or more can go for it, and there will
>> still be leftovers to put away. If ALL of something is eaten, I'd feel
>> like I haven't made enough of it.
>>
>> Last time we ate at MIL's house I brought a dozen buns for dinner. There
>> were going to be 6 people. I figured some might want 2 (my FIL always has
>> at least 2 servings when I bring or make fresh bread or buns). My MIL put
>> out 6 buns for 6 people and put the rest away somewhere.
>>
>> Donna

> At home, more often than not, I will take less on firsts, knowing I can
> have seconds if I want. I love to have seconds.
>
> But if I'm at someone's home, I don't take seconds, so I'm still
> HUNGRY! --hoping for dessert.
>
> Dee Dee

If I have dessert, I usually want just a little bit, anyway. Couple hours
later, or for lunch the next day (or breakfast) I might want a big honkin'
slice of cake, but usually right after dinner, I don't want a lot, no matter
what it is.

Donna

On Thu, 11 May 2006 16:08:51 -0700, Tom Yost <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 11 May 2006 07:03:34 -0400, Roberta <[email protected]>
>wrote:

>>The last time I was there he had a half gallon of milk that was over a
>>week past date, some grey bacon, he had yogurt in the draw from our
>>visit LAST summer *shiver* It was very scary.

>This may not be so much an elderly thing as much as a guy thing!

Yep. My then-fiance doesn't cook and his fridge was SCARY when I first
arrived...

Jke wrote:

> Sometimes I wonder if these specific, long lists of dislikes are really a
> power/attention/recognition-acknowledgement thing. Like a toddler not
> accepting new foods.
>
> Hard to find out, though. I don't mean to say that is what is going on in
> this particualr case, though. The thought of that general posiiblity just
> popped into my head.

It may be for some. For me, it is mostly spices and certain
textures/smells that I have trouble with. Some things are bad enough to
set off the gag reflex, so I absolutely won't eat them. If faced with
them around other people, I will politely decline, or pretend to not be
hungry, even if I really am. I just get get it down, and it would be
worse if I tried.

For most things i don't like, they just ruin my enjoyment of the food,
but I can still get them down if I'm in a public situation, or a guest
at somebody's home. Like onions and mushrooms. If I am by myself or
with friends, I can just pick them out.

At restaurants, I can be specific in my orders, and usually don't have
a problem. For example, at Mexican restaurants, I will porder some
burritos with no sauce or veggies on top. And I request a double side
of beans and skip the rice (too spicy). I end up with a plate that is
pefect for me without much hassle.

Growing up, I really didn't understand why I didn't like certain
things, so I wasn't able to express it until I was probably in my early
teens. For the most part, my parents didn't cook differently for me.
They just let me pick it out if I didn't like it.

The downsides are that I am relunctant to try new things at
restaurants. I hate picking something only to find I really don't like
it. So, I look for things that are "safe" for me. I also have a hard
time accepting dinner offers, especially in somebody's home. Unless
they know me well, they are guaranteed to serve something I do not
like. It is really hard for me to get it down, but I don't want to
offend them either.

When I visited my exchange sister in Mexico 3 times, I consistently
lost 5 lbs a week because I was limited on the foods I could eat. My
sister did know my pretty well, and her mother was wonderful about
giving my non-spicy options. They would let me taste something before
giving me a whole serving. And she had some things I really liked.
(best mashed potatoes in the whole world). But there were a few meals
where the whole meal was on my hit list. Steamed rice, onions, and
peas. That meal took two bottles of pop to get down, and one trip to
the bathroom when I thought I was going to gag. But I did manage to
keep it down, and I didn't complain.

I know it is frustrating to deal with picky people. I try to keep it to
myself as much as possible. Most of my co-workers have no idea how
picky I am. They just laugh because I eat the same things every day and
wonder why I don't get bored with it.