Inner Balance Glidecam footage now on youtube

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Brian MacKenzie, Jun 12, 2007.

  1. www.glidecam.com now has my glidecam footage on their website. I have
    also put it on youtube. It's a little more behind the scenes look at
    my unicycle-glidecam setup I use to film Inner Balance with.

    for all those who already own Inner Balance, this is the special
    feature marked as Glidecam in the bonus features...

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=yNEGeKt_VtA

    the song is from Ian James www.ianjamesmusic.com

    --
    Brian MacKenzie

    'DVD: Inner Balance Now Available $28cdn. Shipped world-wide for $5'
    (http://www.balanceproductions.ca/dvds.htm)
    In a unicycle club? PM me about group orders!
    http://www.usenet.com

    Tags:

  2. thejdw

    thejdw Guest

    thats cool

    --
    thejdw

    dunawan wrote:
    > why are koxx one unicycles so costly???
    > forrestunifreak wrote:
    > > They are expensive because they use only the finest soft drink cans.

    >>don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<

    http://www.usenet.com

  3. rab2009

    rab2009 Guest

    thats pretty cool. is it hard to ride with the camera?

    --
    rab2009
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. habbywall

    habbywall Guest

    Am I the only one that wants to ride bike messanger style through NYC
    after seeing that vid?

    --
    habbywall

    'The Best Juggling Ballz in the World!!' (http://www.gballz.com)
    'This is your invite.' (http://www.lost.eu/20fab)
    'A PM a day keeps the doctor away. ' (http://tinyurl.com/2yxu3o)
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. ntappin

    ntappin Guest

    Great stuff Brian, I bought your dvd and really really liked it. I think
    the whole idea of a moving camera really really makes a dvd sooo much
    better. I hate tripods, they are good for showcasing a new trick but
    horrible for showcasing skill and trying to entertain someone. A fully
    mobile flowing camera kicks ass.

    As for messenger style riding in downtown environments. I have had a
    couple close calls involving busses that have pretty much scared me
    away from that kind of riding now. Although I noticed in the DVD that
    he was usualy taking the safer routes and not necesarily the fastest or
    craziest ones :p, but he still did it all with alot of skill.

    --
    ntappin

    'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
    (http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. Jerrick

    Jerrick Guest

    I need a glidecam now.

    I loved seeing you run down the stairs following the rider, then seeing
    the vid form your camera and its just soo smooth! Love it.

    --
    Jerrick

    ~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
    more!~*~
    '!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
    '!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
    'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
    My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)
    http://www.usenet.com

  7. Jerrick wrote:
    > I loved seeing you run down the stairs following the rider

    I liked that bit as well. Running down stairs at that speed with all
    that kit without falling over is probably more impressive than
    unicycling down it :)

    Rob

    --
    rob.northcott

    'Dartmoor Muni Weekend 2007'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57785) Date now
    confirmed as 21st-22nd July. It'll be dry, I promise :)
    http://www.usenet.com

  8. thanks guys...

    once i was up and riding, it was pretty easy, but mounting was a little
    tricky some of the time (much less tricky on the schlumpf than the
    coker). after I figured out to mount the monitor on the handle
    (typically they are mounted at the bottom and used as counterweight,
    but they spin when the whole contraption spins, leaving your view) i
    was able to keep looking forward while i rode, which was helpful in
    situations like riding in traffic. Initially (as the Glidecam people
    thought) the top->forward->righthand weight of the setup might have
    seemed hard to balance, but that was not the case at all (as I
    predicted)

    (at the beginning of the clip, when i bend down to pick up my uni, and
    the camera goes way out in front of me, which is about 11 pounds with
    all the weights, etc...I felt no strain whatsoever, it's like it was
    still in my hand close to my body)

    While not in this clip, but for owners of the DVD...when you see me
    follow Adam up between the two rows of cabs, you'll notice some side to
    side play in the camerawork. This was from me having no interest in
    having the big metal extension of the glidecam (which mounts to the
    vest and takes all the weight of the gear) sticking out beside me
    hitting any of their mirrors (that shot was the most terrifying to me
    in the whole movie) (had it hit the mirror of any cab, i would have
    instantly gone down into the cab, it was a first take shot though,
    thankfully...i wasn't even sure i was going to follow him, but I'm
    happy I did)

    Running down the stairs to film took about 15 takes before we got it
    right, I was getting pretty sick of it by the time we got it! My first
    couple of times went much slower, the hardest part was running so fast
    down them, and having to land with my feet angled so my whole foot
    would be on the stairs...I could have fallen any time, that would have
    sucked royally!

    Jerrick. get one!

    PS...I'm currently working on a cut down version of the movie (7 mins
    or so) for the Banff Film Festival, I think they are going to crap
    their pants when they see it (not even hollywood could do some of
    these shots sans-unicycle)

    --
    Brian MacKenzie

    'DVD: Inner Balance Now Available $28cdn. Shipped world-wide for $5'
    (http://www.balanceproductions.ca/dvds.htm)
    In a unicycle club? PM me about group orders!
    http://www.usenet.com

  9. picado

    picado Guest

    man the glidecam is incredible.
    That scene when you are going down stairs folowing the unicyclist is
    really cool!

    I really want one glidecam.

    the camera work you are doind is awesome

    --
    picado

    From HELL SP mono CLUBE!

    ###unicycle for JAH RASTAFARI###
    One wheel in brazil
    http://www.usenet.com

  10. yea that glidecam is amazing but i looked on the website and 10K us
    dollars for the whole package. I will def have to put it on hold for
    now.

    --
    chicagounicycle

    Join the Chicago Unicycle Community:
    http://www.myspace.com/chicagounicycle
    http://www.usenet.com

  11. chicagounicycle wrote:
    > yea that glidecam is amazing but i looked on the website and 10K us
    > dollars for the whole package. I will def have to put it on hold for
    > now.

    the package i am using is about $4000, and that includes the $1000
    monitor

    the expensive stuff is for the heavy pro cameras, i think what i have
    is good up to a 10 pound camera give or take

    for those on a budget, the $700 or so 4000pro is what works all the
    magic...the vest is better, and you can sustain much longer shots.
    with the 4000pro (or 2000 for those with tiny cameras), you can still
    get the 'glidecam look'

    --

  12. Brian MacKenzie wrote:
    > the package i am using is about $4000, and that includes the $1000
    > monitor
    >
    > the expensive stuff is for the heavy pro cameras, i think what i have
    > is good up to a 10 pound camera give or take
    >
    > for those on a budget, the $700 or so 4000pro is what works all the
    > magic...the vest is better, and you can sustain much longer shots.
    > with the 4000pro (or 2000 for those with tiny cameras), you can still
    > get the 'glidecam look'

    Really??? wow thats not too bad then... mmm i guess i know what i need
    to start saving for then. The shots are amazing!!! Thanks for the
    great info.

    --
    chicagounicycle

    Join the Chicago Unicycle Community:
    http://www.myspace.com/chicagounicycle
    http://www.usenet.com

  13. habbywall

    habbywall Guest

    Also, if you search for "DYI steadycam" or something alike you can find
    instructions on making your own. It doesn't look as professional, but
    if your just making videos for youtube it will do just fine.

    --
    habbywall

    'The Best Juggling Ballz in the World!!' (http://www.gballz.com)
    'This is your invite.' (http://www.lost.eu/20fab)
    'A PM a day keeps the doctor away. ' (http://tinyurl.com/2yxu3o)
    http://www.usenet.com

  14. JustOneWheel

    JustOneWheel Guest

    rab2009 wrote:
    > thats pretty cool. is it hard to ride with the camera?

    Simply put,
    Brian makes riding and filming (production quality footage) with the
    glideCam look as easy as you make riding a unicycle look to your
    friends.

    The big difference is, a unicycle actually gets easier to ride once you
    learn to ride.
    Riding with the glideCam especially in the 100 degree heat which we
    filmed those scenes in never gets easy. The challenge is not only
    controlling the weight and rapid movement of the glideCam, it's being
    able to shoot the quality footage necessary for production purposes at
    the same time.
    In a location like Time Square at the busiest time of the night with
    the temp at 100 degree's only Brian and his best buddy (GlideCam) could
    catch me on film riding through the streets and side walks of NYC and
    be able to use the footage.
    Even the professional film crews we bumped into in Time Square from MTV
    and Time Warner were amazed at his setup.

    So, The GlideCam is not necessarily the easiest equipment to use while
    riding a uni in the middle of Time Square but, it certainly makes the
    scenes that are shot with it look smooth and easy compared to any other
    technique currently being used. It also leaves the viewer with the
    question of, how was that scene shot?

    Watch “Training Wheel Not Required” and then watch “Inner Balance”, it
    won’t be hard to find the scenes that where shot with the GlidCam and
    appreciate what the GlideCam does to improve those scenes from the old
    technique of riding with a standard tripod in hand.

    Go to justonewheel.com and send me an e-mail if you would like to have
    a copy of INNER BALANCE ($24.95) and/or Training Wheel Not Required
    ($22) shipped to you for $4.95 anywhere in the US.
    Or both movies for $39.95 + Shipping.
    We will have our new site and e-commerce up and running within the
    week.
    Great video competitions to look forward to with great prizes for the
    winners.

    Adam

    --
    JustOneWheel

    There is no better way to have Fun and Exercise. "UNICYCLE"
    Every one should have "FUN ON ONE"
    http://www.usenet.com

  15. pete66

    pete66 Guest

    I've had bad experiences with Glidecam Industries, I'd lost my
    thumbscrews for my glidecam and I had a 48 hour film festival coming up
    so I phoned up Glidecam to ask if they'd be able to courier some screws
    to me. The guy sounded very helpful and was like "yeah sure, should be
    with you by Friday at the latest".

    He never even sent them until the following Thursday so they arrived a
    week and a half after he'd said... completely missing the Film Festival
    and so that was US$75 in postage and packaging down the drain.

    --
    pete66

    *I think oranges were named before carrots*
    http://www.usenet.com

  16. pete66 wrote:
    > I'd lost my thumbscrews for my glidecam

    I keep mine screwed in ;)

    --
    Brian MacKenzie

    'DVD: Inner Balance Now Available $28cdn. Shipped world-wide for $5'
    (http://www.balanceproductions.ca/dvds.htm)
    In a unicycle club? PM me about group orders!
    http://www.usenet.com

Share This Page