Interval duration and recovery process related to w'

tx246

Jan 14, 2017
Ok. I know what the published interval duration and recoveries are but want to know why the recoveries are different. I am using Golden Cheetah and have been observing W' which as best I can tell is Work Capacity Available above CP. Vo2 intervals are prescribed at 1:1 while Threshold type are 2:1 Im assuming since W' is used up faster in a Vo2 you are given a bit more time to recover not only heartrate but W'. Experience tells me that if your W' is done so are you. Havent done any threshold intervals on the trainer yet where I can observe W'. Something tells me it will be used at a slower rate than say a Vo2 max effort.

During interval training, where do the benefits come in? Is it the last 10% of the each interval? Is it from the accumulated time at the effort of all the intervals? Is it the last interval where you start in the most fatigued state?

Golden Cheetah tracks W' during efforts above CP and expressed it Kj. It also tells you in what kind state of fatigue you did the effort. The more available W', the less fatigued you are It also has a W' expended during a workout. A little extra recovery results in a gain in W'.

The Vo2 intervals sure would be a bit easier if better recovered. Im able to get in more intervals if I do recover longer than prescribed. I just dont want that extra recovery to hinder any adaptations.

The only purpose of recovery is to enable you to do the next high-intensity effort at something close to your full performance. For anaerobic efforts, bear in mind that there are two determinants of performance. One part (the largest part) recovers with a 30 second half-life, so it is virtually 100% recovered after 5mins. The other part requires many hours to recover, so for efforts on the same ride or even same day recovery is virtually zero. You can extend your recovery as long as you like. The benefit comes from the high-intensity effort, not from the recovery. You can also do whatever you want during the recovery duration, up to and including getting off your bike and taking a nap.

Reactions: fergie and tx246
You can also do whatever you want during the recovery duration, up to and including getting off your bike and taking a nap.

I sure like the sound of that.

Hey, taking a nap during recovery sounds tempting, but it's not for everyone. Remember to listen to your body and find what works best for you. ‍♂️

You're spot-on about the relationship between W' and recovery intervals. The reason for the difference lies in the physiological demands of each intensity. During VO2 intervals, W' is depleted rapidly, necessitating longer recovery times to restore it. Threshold intervals, while still demanding, don't use up W' as quickly, allowing for shorter recovery periods. It's all about managing your energy systems effectively. Feel free to share your experiences and any questions you have about training with Golden Cheetah. Let's keep the conversation going! ;)

Interesting take on W' and recovery intervals. It's like managing a bank account; intense efforts deplete your balance, and recovery periods replenish it. I've noticed this in my own training, especially during grueling hill climbs. It's all about pacing and knowing when to push and when to hold back. Any thoughts on how to best train this balance? #cycling #training #recovery