Is Purple Extreme a good winter chain lube?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jay, Jan 3, 2008.

  1. Jay

    Jay Guest

    I am looking for a good winter chain lube for daily Chicago commuting, all
    conditions - snow, salt, crud, etc.

    I use a $20 chain, and replace it when it shows .75% wear. That is about 9
    months use for me.

    Would http://www.purpleextreme.com/ be a good choice?

    Thanks - J.

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Jay wrote:
    > I am looking for a good winter chain lube for daily Chicago commuting, all
    > conditions - snow, salt, crud, etc.
    > I use a $20 chain, and replace it when it shows .75% wear. That is about 9
    > months use for me.
    > Would http://www.purpleextreme.com/ be a good choice?

    If you can find PCP's new 'Chain-L No 5' it's really awesome stuff. It's
    base is hypoid gear oil. His package copies the similar-sounding
    fragrance package.

    I don't know Purple Extreme so I can' help you there but I surely hope
    you don't require its +400F/-100F temp range!
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  3. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 20:25:30 -0600, A Muzi <am@yellowjersey.org> may
    have said:

    >Jay wrote:
    >> I am looking for a good winter chain lube for daily Chicago commuting, all
    >> conditions - snow, salt, crud, etc.
    >> I use a $20 chain, and replace it when it shows .75% wear. That is about 9
    >> months use for me.
    >> Would http://www.purpleextreme.com/ be a good choice?

    >If you can find PCP's new 'Chain-L No 5' it's really awesome stuff. It's
    >base is hypoid gear oil. His package copies the similar-sounding
    >fragrance package.

    Oh, wonderful. Now someone makes a chain lube that will make me
    sneeze. I'm just so thrilled.

    >I don't know Purple Extreme so I can' help you there but I surely hope
    >you don't require its +400F/-100F temp range!

    "Sticky" is one adjective I've heard applied.

  4. On Jan 3, 5:20 pm, "Jay" <jbol...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > I am looking for a good winter chain lube for daily Chicago commuting, all
    > conditions - snow, salt, crud, etc.
    >
    > I use a $20 chain, and replace it when it shows .75% wear. That is about 9
    > months use for me.
    >
    > Wouldhttp://www.purpleextreme.com/be a good choice?
    >
    > Thanks - J.

    I once received a tiny bottle of the stuff as a freebie from a local
    shop. It was good for one application, and I gave it a go earlier this
    winter. I live in Northern Colorado, where snow and salt abound at
    this time of year. I was not pleased with its performance. It was, as
    Werehatrack mentioned, rather sticky when compared to other lubes I've
    used.

    I should qualify my response by mentioneing that I am too lazy to
    properly clean the chain on my snow bike, so there may have been some
    abnormal reaction with existing lube, crud, and salt. I don't think
    there's any lube that makes chain-maintenance easy in this
    environment. My solution is to just not deal with it. I take chains
    from my "nice" bikes when they're mostly worn, give them to my snow
    bike, and then give them minimal care. As always, YMMV.

    Stephen Greenwood

  5. SMS

    SMS Guest

    Jay wrote:
    > I am looking for a good winter chain lube for daily Chicago commuting, all
    > conditions - snow, salt, crud, etc.
    >
    > I use a $20 chain, and replace it when it shows .75% wear. That is about 9
    > months use for me.
    >
    > Would http://www.purpleextreme.com/ be a good choice?

    No.

    Go buy a can of motorcycle chain lube for non-O Ring chains. Probably
    I'd go with MFR for cold weather. Check motorcycle parts stores, or
    order it on-line at
    "http://www.revzilla.com/product/mfr-chain-lube?node_id=1087"

    See "http://bicyclechain.info/" for more information on bicycle chain
    maintenance, and stop wasting money on tiny bottles of repackaged
    lubricants.

Share This Page