=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=93Fit_and_Fat=94_campaign_launched=20?=

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mora, Aug 24, 2007.

  1. Mora

    Mora Guest

    Tags:

  2. Pat

    Pat Guest

    "Mora" there is no such thing as fit AND fat.

  3. Robin King

    Robin King Guest

    <AIricKnebel@aol.com> wrote in message
    > On Aug 24, 9:13 pm, mor...@yahoo.com (Mora) wrote:
    > > Enlightening article.
    > >
    > > http://www.surrealscoop.com/

    > You are not only a fatass, but an imbecile too.
    > --
    > __________
    > Alric Knebel

    I don't know about the "fatass", but I agree with the imbecile
    part.

    Here's a better description of :"fat and fit" (Adobe file)
    http://www.lindabacon.org/Bacon_HAESmanifesto.pdf

    For the cite-minded, there are plenty of references at the end.

    Robin

  4. cyndiann

    cyndiann Guest

    On Aug 24, 10:59 pm, "Pat" <P...@starrynight.com> wrote:
    > "Mora" there is no such thing as fit AND fat.

    There sure is!

    A couple years ago I went to the gym several times a week, never got
    below 200 pounds but could out lift many of the men there, could do
    several hundred crunches. I ate low carb too.

    I was very fit and was still fat. After a year and a half I couldn't
    afford the gym anymore so I had to give it up.

    I have PCOS so it's very hard for me to lose weight.

    Cyndi

  5. Pat

    Pat Guest

    >> "Mora" there is no such thing as fit AND fat.

    > There sure is!
    >
    > A couple years ago I went to the gym several times a week, never got
    > below 200 pounds but could out lift many of the men there, could do
    > several hundred crunches. I ate low carb too.
    >
    > I was very fit and was still fat. After a year and a half I couldn't
    > afford the gym anymore so I had to give it up.
    >
    > I have PCOS so it's very hard for me to lose weight.
    >
    > Cyndi

    You are fooling yourself. Could you run 10 miles? Could you swim a mile or
    two? Could you ride a bicycle for 40 miles? You don't get aerobic fitness by
    lifting weights and doing crunches. If your lungs aren't "fit" then neither
    are you.

    Pat in TX

  6. cyndiann

    cyndiann Guest

    On Aug 26, 11:01 pm, "Pat" <P...@starrynight.com> wrote:
    > >> "Mora" there is no such thing as fit AND fat.

    > > There sure is!

    > > A couple years ago I went to the gym several times a week, never got
    > > below 200 pounds but could out lift many of the men there, could do
    > > several hundred crunches. I ate low carb too.

    > > I was very fit and was still fat. After a year and a half I couldn't
    > > afford the gym anymore so I had to give it up.

    > > I have PCOS so it's very hard for me to lose weight.

    > > Cyndi

    > You are fooling yourself. Could you run 10 miles? Could you swim a mile or
    > two? Could you ride a bicycle for 40 miles? You don't get aerobic fitness by
    > lifting weights and doing crunches. If your lungs aren't "fit" then neither
    > are you.
    >
    > Pat in TX

    Just because I didn't mention aerobic exercise doesn't mean I wasn't
    doing it. I ran the treadmill every visit among other things.
    Stationary bike, step classes, seems you are the fool not me. Are you
    always this nasty? Maybe you should step away from the keyboard and go
    do some exercise yourself.

  7. Daedalus

    Daedalus Guest

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:51:55 GMT, "Robin King"
    <mapletree@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    ><AIricKnebel@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> On Aug 24, 9:13 pm, mor...@yahoo.com (Mora) wrote:
    >> > Enlightening article.
    >> >
    >> > http://www.surrealscoop.com/

    >> You are not only a fatass, but an imbecile too.
    >> --
    >> __________
    >> Alric Knebel

    > I don't know about the "fatass", but I agree with the imbecile
    >part.

    It's called satire. Get a sense of humor on eBay or something.

    > Here's a better description of :"fat and fit" (Adobe file)
    >http://www.lindabacon.org/Bacon_HAESmanifesto.pdf

    This was almost as silly as the spoof article above.

    Jade

    > For the cite-minded, there are plenty of references at the end.
    >
    >Robin

  8. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Pat wrote:
    ::: Just because I didn't mention aerobic exercise doesn't mean I wasn't
    ::: doing it. I ran the treadmill every visit among other things.
    ::: Stationary bike, step classes, seems you are the fool not me. Are
    ::: you always this nasty? Maybe you should step away from the keyboard
    ::: and go do some exercise yourself.
    ::
    :: Face it: you are trying to convince yourself that you can be fat and
    :: it won't harm your body at all. And that's just not so! You are not
    :: fit if you are fat. Telling yourself that you are fit doesn't mean
    :: you are. The clue to your deceiving yourself is that you instantly
    :: retort to name calling when someone brings you back to reality.

    One has to be careful with this "fit and fat" compaign, since it seems to
    encourage or put forth the notion that one can be waaaaaaaay fat and still
    be fit. Fit for what?

    How does one define "fat" in the "fit and fat" compaign? It's important to
    get our terms straight.

    Moreover, one can have significant body fat and still do all kinds of
    exercise. Perhaps one won't be competitive at many of them, however, since
    if you weigh too much those who weigh less will be faster or better. In
    that way one can definte "fit" because the better you are at something the
    more fit you are for that activity. Some people like to definite "fit" in
    terms of lack of bodyfat and good muscle definition. That works because most
    people in that catagory can be competitive at most activities with
    reasonable amounts of training. Of course, one can certainly be "skinny
    fat" and not look fat while still not being fit for any activity.

    Saying that being fat will harm the body requires some substantiation, IMO.
    How fat are we talking? As far as I know, it's not been proven that simply
    having extra bodyfat is a guarantee to poor health. When you combine it
    with sedentary lifestyle and poor diet, it typically does result in poor
    health in many people. But if an individual is active and has good diet over
    significant time frames, the picture can be quite different.

  9. Pat

    Pat Guest

    > Just because I didn't mention aerobic exercise doesn't mean I wasn't
    > doing it. I ran the treadmill every visit among other things.
    > Stationary bike, step classes, seems you are the fool not me. Are you
    > always this nasty? Maybe you should step away from the keyboard and go
    > do some exercise yourself.

    Face it: you are trying to convince yourself that you can be fat and it
    won't harm your body at all. And that's just not so! You are not fit if you
    are fat. Telling yourself that you are fit doesn't mean you are. The clue to
    your deceiving yourself is that you instantly retort to name calling when
    someone brings you back to reality.

  10. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Pat wrote:
    ::: Saying that being fat will harm the body requires some
    ::: substantiation, IMO.
    ::: How fat are we talking? As far as I know, it's not been proven that
    ::: simply having extra bodyfat is a guarantee to poor health. When you
    ::: combine it with sedentary lifestyle and poor diet, it typically does
    ::: result in poor health in many people. But if an individual is
    ::: active and has good diet over significant time frames, the picture
    ::: can be quite different.
    ::
    :: There is no doubt that significant fat adds stress to the body's
    :: organs. It includes extra blood vessels, making the heart and lungs
    :: work harder, stretching of the skin--even such things as gravity
    :: tugging on internal organs due to the extra weight of the fat. One
    :: summer I worked as a veterinary doctor's assistant and helped with
    :: operations. If you have a chance to see the fat surrounding and
    :: choking the internal organs of a cat or dog, it really tells you
    :: that there is no doubt excess fat is doing the same to human bodies.
    :: Imagine a fat racehorse. Not possible, is it?

    Much of what you say above could also apply to a person who has significant
    muscle mass.
    No, a fat racehorse would not be much of a racehorse. It would likely be
    unfit for racing since the nonfat racehorses would be faster due to lugging
    less weight around. I think the same would be true for an overly muscled
    race horse, too.

    ::
    :: As far as the original poster, you could look at the first post and
    :: see it is part of the "fat acceptance" movement. Or maybe they
    :: should call it the "fat doesn't matter" movement. Same thing. But,
    :: to the body, excess fat does matter!
    ::

    Too much fat does matter, but finding that line is not clear except in very
    obvious cases.

  11. Pat

    Pat Guest

    > Saying that being fat will harm the body requires some substantiation,
    > IMO.
    > How fat are we talking? As far as I know, it's not been proven that
    > simply having extra bodyfat is a guarantee to poor health. When you
    > combine it with sedentary lifestyle and poor diet, it typically does
    > result in poor health in many people. But if an individual is active and
    > has good diet over significant time frames, the picture can be quite
    > different.

    There is no doubt that significant fat adds stress to the body's organs. It
    includes extra blood vessels, making the heart and lungs work harder,
    stretching of the skin--even such things as gravity tugging on internal
    organs due to the extra weight of the fat. One summer I worked as a
    veterinary doctor's assistant and helped with operations. If you have a
    chance to see the fat surrounding and choking the internal organs of a cat
    or dog, it really tells you that there is no doubt excess fat is doing the
    same to human bodies. Imagine a fat racehorse. Not possible, is it?

    As far as the original poster, you could look at the first post and see it
    is part of the "fat acceptance" movement. Or maybe they should call it the
    "fat doesn't matter" movement. Same thing. But, to the body, excess fat
    does matter!

    Pat in TX

  12. Pat

    Pat Guest

    > :: As far as the original poster, you could look at the first post and
    > :: see it is part of the "fat acceptance" movement. Or maybe they
    > :: should call it the "fat doesn't matter" movement. Same thing. But,
    > :: to the body, excess fat does matter!
    > ::
    >
    > Too much fat does matter, but finding that line is not clear except in
    > very obvious cases.

    I think some people would like to ignore the interior fat as if it doesn't
    exist. They seem to think that only the jiggling fat is there. "fit and fat"
    is nothing more than a fat acceptance ploy.

  13. On Aug 25, 8:51 pm, "Robin King" <maplet...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    > <AIricKne...@aol.com> wrote in message

    > > On Aug 24, 9:13 pm, mor...@yahoo.com (Mora) wrote:
    > > > Enlightening article.

    > > >http://www.surrealscoop.com/

    > > You are not only a fatass, but an imbecile too.
    > > --
    > > __________
    > > Alric Knebel

    > I don't know about the "fatass", but I agree with the imbecile
    > part.
    >
    > Here's a better description of :"fat and fit" (Adobe file)http://www.lindabacon.org/Bacon_HAESmanifesto.pdf
    >
    > For the cite-minded, there are plenty of references at the end.
    >
    > Robin

    lol, I'm sorry but even *I* can't resist pointing out that the word
    "bacon" appears twice in the fat acceptance link!

    a freudian slip?

Share This Page