It's official - Moninger suspended for a year...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ronde Chimp, Apr 3, 2003.

  1. Ronde Chimp

    Ronde Chimp Guest

  2. Kenbhart

    Kenbhart Guest

    In article <vs4p8v4cli816tugsinlqd3a0krki39f8b@4ax.com>, Ronde Chimp <ronde_chimp@yahoo.com> writes:

    Scott had been somewhat secretive as to which supplement producer was "tainted", since there was
    discussion about a lawsuit. Press release 228.pdf, which has the proceedings, mentions which
    supplement producer was involved..

    >Subject: It's official - Moninger suspended for a year... From: Ronde Chimp <ronde_chimp@yahoo.com>
    >Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 20:07:12 GMT
    >

    >http://www.usantidoping.org/files/PressRelease_4_3_2003_228.pdf
    >
    >http://www.usantidoping.org/files/PressRelease_4_3_2003_227.pdf
    >
    >Thanks, Ronde Chimp

    | Ken B Hart @ aol.com |

  3. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    "Ronde Chimp" <ronde_chimp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > If I'm reading it right, it looks like the 2 sealed bottles Scott submitted for independant
    > analysis were clean as a whistle.
    >
    > Curious.
    >
    > Thanks, Ronde Chimp

    wow, how did you get a hold of that document? he only failed the test by 28,000%. that was close.
    looks like the "DR's brand" supplements can only be handed out by a doctor anymore. shit if FVB can
    come back after all his drug/psycho problems, SM could race for another few years successfully.

    im sticking to my R4, water, and cliff bars.....

  4. "JTN" <jnelson@garfield-county.com> wrote in message news:v8p79jmgs660d7@corp.supernews.com...

    > "Ronde Chimp" <ronde_chimp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > If I'm reading it right, it looks like the 2 sealed bottles Scott submitted for independant
    > > analysis were clean as a whistle.
    > >
    > > Curious.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Ronde Chimp
    >

    > wow, how did you get a hold of that document? he only failed the test by 28,000%. that was close.
    > looks like the "DR's brand" supplements can only be handed out by a doctor anymore. shit if FVB
    > can come back after all his drug/psycho problems, SM could race for
    another
    > few years successfully.

    VdB was about 10 years younger when he had his problems. Moninger could very well be done.

  5. Velocat

    Velocat Guest

    JTN wrote:

    > wow, how did you get a hold of that document? he only failed the test by 28,000%. that was close.
    > looks like the "DR's brand" supplements can only be handed out by a doctor anymore. shit if FVB
    > can come back after all his drug/psycho problems, SM could race for another few years
    > successfully.
    >
    > im sticking to my R4, water, and cliff bars.....

    Try reading it again. SM's urine test was 22ng/ml and the limit is 5ng/ml. By my math that's only
    4.4 times the limit. The supplement test done by IBC found 28,000% of the usual amount of trace
    contaminants. It isn't clear where those contaminants came from.

  6. "KenBHart" <kenbhart@aol.com> wrote in message news:20030403152620.16195.00000032@mb-fv.aol.com...
    > Scott had been somewhat secretive as to which supplement producer was "tainted", since there was
    > discussion about a lawsuit. Press release 228.pdf, which has the proceedings, mentions which
    supplement
    > producer was involved..

    Ken....my dialup is real slow....if it is in the public sector why not just mention the name?

    Steve

  7. It said that when his normal brand was out of stock that he purchased another brand known as
    "Doctor's Brand L-Tyrosine".

    "Steven Y. Litvin" <slitvin@njmsc.org> wrote in message news:b6in5e$ism$1@news.monmouth.com...

    > "KenBHart" <kenbhart@aol.com> wrote in message news:20030403152620.16195.00000032@mb-fv.aol.com...
    > > Scott had been somewhat secretive as to which supplement producer was "tainted", since there was
    > > discussion about a lawsuit. Press release 228.pdf, which has the proceedings, mentions which
    > supplement
    > > producer was involved..
    > >

    > Ken....my dialup is real slow....if it is in the public sector why not
    just
    > mention the name?
    >
    > Steve

  8. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Kurgan Gringioni" <kgringioni.remove.it.for.mail@hotmail.com> wrote

    > VdB was about 10 years younger when he had his problems. Moninger could
    very
    > well be done.

    The rules appeared to call for a two-year suspension for a first offense. The arbitration panel cut
    it to one year, and also cut the amount of his fine.

  9. Ronde Chimp

    Ronde Chimp Guest

    What I find disturbing is the Velonews article about this sanction states:

    "The former Mercury rider was able to demonstrate that the 19-norandrosterone positive had resulted
    from a contaminated food supplement, something which the panel was allowed to consider as a
    mitigating circumstance. "

    This is patently untrue. Section 5.6 of the ruling effectively refutes Scott's defense that the
    supplements were the cause of his positive test. Again, in Section 5.9 of the arbitration breakdown,
    it states: "...the panel is not satisfied that the changed supplement was the cause of the
    analytical result..."

    Until now I have viewed Velonews as an accurate source of cycling reporting; however their incorrect
    reporting of this story brings their independence and veracity into question. While the Velonews
    staff might have an affinity with Scott, this does not excuse them from reporting the story
    truthfully.

    I've long been a fan of Moninger (and continue to be) - but it appears like he was found doping fair
    and square. I'm not saying he wasn't screwed by somebody - spiked water bottle? It's always a
    possibility, but the food supplements weren't the source.

    If somebody can point to any part in the ruling where it shows that the panel accepted Moninger's
    assertion that a contaminated food supplement caused his positive test, I'd gladly retract this
    diatribe. Otherwise Velonews should issue a clarification immediately.

    Thanks, Ronde Chimp

  10. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    hes busted.........