Jim Bundy and Antique Tandem

mikesbytes

Apr 12, 2006
I was sent this link, which contains an antique tandem frame that Jim Bundy is selling.
http://homepage.mac.com/bici_pimp/PhotoAlbum7.html
What was interesting is that I have some really old cycling jerseys that have his name on them, so I was a delight to see a photo of him. Does anyone know Jim Bundy's history, was he a racer? When did he build frames? What kind of frames?

mikesbytes said:
I was sent this link, which contains an antique tandem frame that Jim Bundy is selling.
http://homepage.mac.com/bici_pimp/PhotoAlbum7.html
What was interesting is that I have some really old cycling jerseys that have his name on them, so I was a delight to see a photo of him. Does anyone know Jim Bundy's history, was he a racer? When did he build frames? What kind of frames?

Jim Bundy was a frame builder from 1940-85 and had a good reputation as a frame builder. His son Peter took over the mantle and the business is now closed.
My first serius frame was made by Peter and I broke it a couple of times. I have also spoken to a few other people that have had the same experience.

Cool looking tandem. Not something that you would want to ride unless you liked your stoker resting on your back. Most tandems today are 27 1/2" to 28" long. Our Co-motion is nearly 30".

Cheers

Geoff

geoffs said:
Quiet possibly.

Do you wear them still?
Wore one today, riding into the city. Truth is I'm a bit short on winter gear, and they are reasonably warm. Next winter I might get something a bit more high tech.

Geoff, do you want to do the Stanmore bike shop ride tomorrow morning (Saturday)? They are going to La-Parouse I think. Leave Stanmore bike shop at 6am.

mikesbytes said:
Wore one today, riding into the city. Truth is I'm a bit short on winter gear, and they are reasonably warm. Next winter I might get something a bit more high tech.

Geoff, do you want to do the Stanmore bike shop ride tomorrow morning (Saturday)? They are going to La-Parouse I think. Leave Stanmore bike shop at 6am.

I'll set my alarm and I'll be there. I'll bring along a friend as well.
If It's raining I'll stay in bed.

Cheers

Geoff

geoffs said:
I'll set my alarm and I'll be there. I'll bring along a friend as well.
If It's raining I'll stay in bed.

Cheers

Geoff
It was good to see you and Martin this morning. Hope you enjoy the Blue Mountain's trail ride tomorrow (Sunday).

mikesbytes said:
It was good to see you and Martin this morning. Hope you enjoy the Blue Mountain's trail ride tomorrow (Sunday).

Likewise. It was good to be able to put a face to the emails.
Thanks agian for the tow back to the bunch when Martin and I dropped off.

The Woodford to Glenbrook ride was a hoot. We rode from Glenbrook up to the start which made for a good 1 1/2 hour warmup. The track had aparently been graded not that long ago but with the recent rain all the ruts and rocks were exposed. We were the only tandem in the event and even the MC relayed reports from the track that there some mad people riding a tandem with no suspension.
We made it up all the hills. Just! I didn't realise that my heart rate could still get to 187. It was over 180 for most of the hills. We stopped once fairly early to repair a guy's broken chain. We had another stop about 4 kms to go with a flat rear tyre due to a pinch flat. I was a bit hasty pumping the tyre up as we had another flat 50 m before crossing the finish line.
1:14 riding time not including the stops! Martin did it in 1:11.

The ride from the finish back to where the car was parked was the icing to the cake. Two really nasty climbs with gradients of 20%. We had to stop and "admire the scenery" a couple of tmes to get our breath back. We were pretty beat and my HR wouldn't go over 170.
Slept from when we got home at 4pm until 7am this morning. Feel much better now.

Cheers

Geoff

You did pretty dam good to get the tamdem thru those conditions.

I rode out to Waterfall with Dulwich Hill. Eventually the quick guys in our group tacked on to one of the Eastern Suburbs groups as we headed for Waterfall. A guy about 3 bikes in front of me got a flat front tyre and everyone had to heave on the brakes. So we arrived at Waterfall and did u-turn over the bridge, when back on the Princess, the pace was about to up for the sprint back to Heathcoat. Being a little slower than the younger guys, I speeded up and went to the front, 3 guys went blasting past me at a pace well past my ability, I was waiting for the bunch to catch me so I could tack on, but then the bunch caught me napping, they were going so much faster than me, that I didn't get myself up to speed to tack on. I chased for about 2k but I couldn't close the final 50 metres, they were setting a wicked pace. No one came past me or tacked on, so I had no one to share the work, so I gave up. About this time the pack started sheding riders, I passed a few and then one tacked on, we worked together and collected another 3 and had some fun riding into Heatcoat. But man there was someone really fast on the front of that pack, this vet was no threat to him!

Stanmore do a hill ride on the first Saturday of the month, ie this Saturday coming up, they leave Stanmore cycles at 5.30am and head over the north side. At the top of each hill the stop and wait for everyone to catch up. Suitable for everyone, fast or slow.

mikesbytes said:
You did pretty dam good to get the tamdem thru those conditions.

I rode out to Waterfall with Dulwich Hill. Eventually the quick guys in our group tacked on to one of the Eastern Suburbs groups as we headed for Waterfall. A guy about 3 bikes in front of me got a flat front tyre and everyone had to heave on the brakes. So we arrived at Waterfall and did u-turn over the bridge, when back on the Princess, the pace was about to up for the sprint back to Heathcoat. Being a little slower than the younger guys, I speeded up and went to the front, 3 guys went blasting past me at a pace well past my ability, I was waiting for the bunch to catch me so I could tack on, but then the bunch caught me napping, they were going so much faster than me, that I didn't get myself up to speed to tack on. I chased for about 2k but I couldn't close the final 50 metres, they were setting a wicked pace. No one came past me or tacked on, so I had no one to share the work, so I gave up. About this time the pack started sheding riders, I passed a few and then one tacked on, we worked together and collected another 3 and had some fun riding into Heatcoat. But man there was someone really fast on the front of that pack, this vet was no threat to him!

Stanmore do a hill ride on the first Saturday of the month, ie this Saturday coming up, they leave Stanmore cycles at 5.30am and head over the north side. At the top of each hill the stop and wait for everyone to catch up. Suitable for everyone, fast or slow.

Hi Mike
We'll see how we go at the 5.30am start. I am keen but..........
It's a bugger when you can't make that last gap. Same thing happened to me last time I was down that way. The bunch was sitting on 40+ and on the fixie that was just to fast for a continous effort. Nearly killed myself try to make the gap. Oh well

Cheers

Geoff

geoffs said:
Hi Mike
We'll see how we go at the 5.30am start. I am keen but..........
It's a bugger when you can't make that last gap. Same thing happened to me last time I was down that way. The bunch was sitting on 40+ and on the fixie that was just to fast for a continous effort. Nearly killed myself try to make the gap. Oh well

Cheers

Geoff
Yeh, the start time is more challenging than the ride itself.

I've been down with the flu all week. I had an appointment to buy a track bike last night and I decided to keep it as I had to drop my son at the coldplay concert anyway. To cut a long story short, I brought the track bike, but left my helmet, gloves and shoes at the track. Just before I was to go and pick up my son, I realised that I had left my gear behind, so I went down and it wasn't there, so someone must of put it somewhere safe, hopefully not so safe that I don't get it back until Monday, I only have one pair of shoes.

Another option for a weekend ride is the Sunday Dulwich Hill club 6.30am from Mick Mazza's on Marrickville road. You would get home at least an hour later than the Saturday ride, so it depends on family commitments. Lindsay, who organises this ride usually rides a fixie.

BTW, how did putting knoblies on the tandem go?

mikesbytes said:
Yeh, the start time is more challenging than the ride itself.

I've been down with the flu all week. I had an appointment to buy a track bike last night and I decided to keep it as I had to drop my son at the coldplay concert anyway. To cut a long story short, I brought the track bike, but left my helmet, gloves and shoes at the track. Just before I was to go and pick up my son, I realised that I had left my gear behind, so I went down and it wasn't there, so someone must of put it somewhere safe, hopefully not so safe that I don't get it back until Monday, I only have one pair of shoes.

Another option for a weekend ride is the Sunday Dulwich Hill club 6.30am from Mick Mazza's on Marrickville road. You would get home at least an hour later than the Saturday ride, so it depends on family commitments. Lindsay, who organises this ride usually rides a fixie.

BTW, how did putting knoblies on the tandem go?

Sorry to here that you have the flu. There seems to be a fair bit of it going around at this time of the year though.
A track bike! What did you get?
If you give Mick Mazza a ring at his bike shop he will have Brad Cox's phone number who will be able to let you in to get your things back. There is a storage area for bikes and rollers etc so I am sure your things will be safe.

The knobbies on the tandem worked fine. The 2.2's just fit with about 5mm either side. A quieter ride would have been good so that i could practice a bit and work out how much traction I had to play with. The hardest thing that I found was using road bars and levers instead of straight bars.
We had 2 flats tyres, both on the rear, both pinch flats.
The first was when we were flying on a smooth section of track only 4 kms to go at a speed of 45+kmhr. I didn't pump the tyre up as much as I should have and we puntured within 30m of the finishing line so we just kept going.

We are going to Rockclimbing tonight at Sydney climbing gym and a for a couple of beers afterward.

Cheers

Geoff

geoffs said:
Sorry to here that you have the flu. There seems to be a fair bit of it going around at this time of the year though.
A track bike! What did you get?
If you give Mick Mazza a ring at his bike shop he will have Brad Cox's phone number who will be able to let you in to get your things back. There is a storage area for bikes and rollers etc so I am sure your things will be safe.

The knobbies on the tandem worked fine. The 2.2's just fit with about 5mm either side. A quieter ride would have been good so that i could practice a bit and work out how much traction I had to play with. The hardest thing that I found was using road bars and levers instead of straight bars.
We had 2 flats tyres, both on the rear, both pinch flats.
The first was when we were flying on a smooth section of track only 4 kms to go at a speed of 45+kmhr. I didn't pump the tyre up as much as I should have and we puntured within 30m of the finishing line so we just kept going.

We are going to Rockclimbing tonight at Sydney climbing gym and a for a couple of beers afterward.

Cheers

Geoff
Thanks for that Geoff, I'll try to get in contact with Brad.

The track bike is a Fuji. I need to change a couple of pieces on it, but its ok as is. If I stop using it as a track bike, it can be converted to a fixie.

Edit: I just found out that Brad has my gear in the back of his car.