Katie Dereham.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Jul 7, 2007.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    Couldn't they have had someone who knew what they were talking about at the
    opening ceremony? This is a highly educated BBC journalist who, when
    presented with someone speaking French, recoiled in horror as though
    confronted by a Martian. Her knowledge of cycling was even worse. I'd have
    though they could have dredged up a multilingual presenter from somewhere in
    the BBC, she just made us look very "Little Englander" to the watching
    world.

    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

    Tags:

  2. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "Simon Mason" <simon@simonmason.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Couldn't they have had someone who knew what they were talking about at
    > the opening ceremony? This is a highly educated BBC journalist who, when
    > presented with someone speaking French, recoiled in horror as though
    > confronted by a Martian. Her knowledge of cycling was even worse. I'd have
    > though they could have dredged up a multilingual presenter from somewhere
    > in the BBC, she just made us look very "Little Englander" to the watching
    > world.

    Not as bad as that boring bloke from Leicester .. sure you might be a great
    bike builder and a thoroughly nice guy, but **** he was boring ... and
    introducing with "they're running late, so I thought I'd tell you the
    history of the bike" as if it was something that they just suddenly thought
    up as a filler ... have to say they really, really, really didn't get the
    crowd going.

    It was hilarious when the French came out .... I felt sorry for the people
    doing a sign language program at the back of the square ... all those funny
    foreign names you've never heard of and then some people speaking a funny
    language ... ;)

    It certainly would have been useful to have someone who was fluent in French

  3. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Simon Mason" <simon@simonmason.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Couldn't they have had someone who knew what they were talking about at
    > the opening ceremony? This is a highly educated BBC journalist who, when
    > presented with someone speaking French, recoiled in horror as though
    > confronted by a Martian. Her knowledge of cycling was even worse. I'd have
    > though they could have dredged up a multilingual presenter from somewhere
    > in the BBC, she just made us look very "Little Englander" to the watching
    > world.
    >
    > --
    > Simon Mason
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

    Certainly it would have been useful for them to have had some interpreters
    ready, who could have translated between Johnny Foreigner & Little
    Englander...

  4. Simon Mason wrote:
    > Couldn't they have had someone who knew what they were talking about at the
    > opening ceremony? This is a highly educated BBC journalist who, when
    > presented with someone speaking French, recoiled in horror as though
    > confronted by a Martian. Her knowledge of cycling was even worse. I'd have
    > though they could have dredged up a multilingual presenter from somewhere in
    > the BBC, she just made us look very "Little Englander" to the watching
    > world.
    >
    > --
    > Simon Mason
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

    Oops... it was ITV, not the Beeb.

  5. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    )
    "barry mogridge" <barry.mogridge@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Simon Mason wrote:
    >> Couldn't they have had someone who knew what they were talking about at
    >> the opening ceremony? This is a highly educated BBC journalist who, when
    >> presented with someone speaking French, recoiled in horror as though
    >> confronted by a Martian. Her knowledge of cycling was even worse. I'd
    >> have though they could have dredged up a multilingual presenter from
    >> somewhere in the BBC, she just made us look very "Little Englander" to
    >> the watching world.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Simon Mason
    >> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

    > Oops... it was ITV, not the Beeb.

    That shows you how much TV I watch!
    Sorry to the BBC for any offence caused ;-)
    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  6. Peter Amey

    Peter Amey Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:
    > Couldn't they have had someone who knew what they were talking about at the
    > opening ceremony? This is a highly educated BBC journalist who, when
    > presented with someone speaking French, recoiled in horror as though
    > confronted by a Martian. Her knowledge of cycling was even worse. I'd have
    > though they could have dredged up a multilingual presenter from somewhere in
    > the BBC, she just made us look very "Little Englander" to the watching
    > world.
    >
    > --
    > Simon Mason
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

    Agreed, but the chap who interviewed "the devil" had pretty slick German.

    Peter

    --
    www.amey.org.uk

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:
    > Couldn't they have had someone who knew what they were talking about at the
    > opening ceremony? This is a highly educated BBC journalist who, when
    > presented with someone speaking French, recoiled in horror as though
    > confronted by a Martian. Her knowledge of cycling was even worse. I'd have
    > though they could have dredged up a multilingual presenter from somewhere in
    > the BBC, she just made us look very "Little Englander" to the watching
    > world.

    Not as bad as Red Ken and his "Byan-Venoo a Lund-Res"

    Tony