Kestrel KM40? Thoughts for purchasing a used one?

The condition of the components will probably be an indication of the care which was given to the bike ...

• clean vs. dirty ...
  • etc.

Walk away from the bike if it looks to have been ridden-hard-and-put-away-wet ...

FYI. The end of June (i.e., the end of the 2nd fiscal Quarter) is possibly the BEST TIME to look for a new bike from a shop ...

• check either a PERFORMANCE or TREK bike shop should have their bikes pretty deeply discounted

Nice ...

BTW. I hope you are taller than 6'0" ...

FYI. The frame is pre-2000 ...

The SHIMANO 105 components (derailleurs/crankset) could be from 1998-2001 ...

The SHIMANO wheels are c2001.

Nice bike, they were pretty fancy back then. My advice isn't worth even the pixels it'll take up on your screen, I would suggest;

- make sure it fits you
- check over the frame for damage like hairline cracks, its over 20 years old
- is the drive-train in good condition. replacement parts can get costly if you have to upgrade multiple items

How much is it?

Thanks I paid less than $550 for it. I thought is was worth the price given the described condition. I'll be able to have a close look at it in a day or two

So far, all is well. Bike arrived today, put it together and took a ride around the block. I'll take a longer ride tomorrow and check it out. Wish is wasn't 90 degrees and humid though.

I took my first ride and put on 22 miles. The bike rode great, shifted cleanly and was a pleasure to ride. Just getting used to the feel of the ride on such tiny tires as compared to the Klein Mantra mountain bike I had been riding. I have a feeling that I will get used to the feel of this pretty quick. It's certainly fun.