KH 2007 Products- details & info are here

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by danger_uni, Sep 15, 2006.

  1. danger_uni

    danger_uni Guest

    Hi All,

    Finally- here are some details of the 2007 KH products coming out very
    soon. The R&D for 2007 has been going on for a long time and I’m
    really happy to finally see this stuff available.

    Here’s a summary:

    NEW GLOVES: [/B] REDESIGNED TO HAVE BETTER FIT IN THE FINGERS, LESS
    SEAMS FOR DURABILITY, A COOLER, BETTER VENTILATED BACK FABRIC, AN
    IMPROVED WRIST WRAP POSITION, MORE COMFORTABLE CUFF WITHOUT VELCRO, AND
    GEL PADDING IN THE PALMS.

    *TWO NEW SADDLES:
    *Fusion Street:* super slim with the lowest available profile for
    street, trials and freestyle. Gel and the fusion removable cover are
    standard.
    FUSION FREERIDE:* CUSHY AND COMFORTABLE FOR MUNI AND DISTANCE RIDING.
    THIS SADDLE HAS A VERY GENTLE CURVATURE TO REDUCE PRESSURE AT THE
    FRONT, AND HAS CUSHY, DOUBLE DENSITY FOAM AND A CENTRE CUTAWAY TO
    REDUCE PRESSURE IN THE MIDDLE.

    *STRONGER DOUBLE BOLT SEATPOST CLAMP. * SHOULD’VE DONE THAT A LONG TIME
    AGO…

    *IMPROVED FRAME.* BETTER POSITIONED GUSSETS UNDER THE FORK CROWN ARE
    SLIGHTLY LIGHTER AND INCREASE CLEARANCE WITHOUT RAISING THE CROWN.
    SAME STIFF 7005 ALUMINUM.

    *IMPROVED RIMS.* 19” AND 24” RIMS ARE NOW 47MM WIDE (WERE 42MM).
    EYELETS AND SUPER HIGH QUALITY 7005H-T6 ALUMINUM ARE STANDARD. DRILLED
    HOLES ARE SIZED TO LEAVE ENOUGH METAL AROUND THE EYELETS FOR STRENGTH.

    *NEW KH ISIS MOMENT HUB AND CRANKSET.
    Cranks:* These are ISIS spline and were designed in collaboration
    with Roger Davies. The shape is designed for both street and trials
    riding, with a wide, smooth profile that’s super stiff and easy to find
    for street moves. Q-factor is 10mm (2.5mm less than 2005 cranks),
    which keeps a narrow profile but still allows enough room to clear your
    ankle bones. Material is 7075 Aluminum- the strongest and stiffest
    available. Cranks are polished, not powdercoated, so they won’t show
    scratches as much. Sizes are 125mm, 137mm, 150mm, 165mm.

    *Hub:* Simple and strong. Designed in collaboration with Roger Davies.
    It has the widest flange-flange spacing available in an ISIS hub, for
    increased wheel strength. Bearings press directly onto the axle
    without bearing sleeves, to increase bearing stiffness.

    *KH20 comes standard with 137mm cranks.* They were reduced 3mm in
    length to increase riding smoothness while still keeping enough
    leverage for trials. 125mm is also available.

    Photos and details are now available at www.krisholm.com/products.
    Mouse over the icons and click the larger image to see an even bigger
    photo.

    I'll also be bringing the new unis (at least the KH20 and KH24, maybe
    the KH29) to the CA Muni weekend, so you can check them out if you're
    coming.

    Let me know what you think.

    Cheers,

    Kris.

    --
    danger_uni
    danger_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/21

  2. j5isalive

    j5isalive Guest

  3. plumsie

    plumsie Guest

    Well I have not ridden them yet obviously but they look great. The new
    hub and cranks look nicer in my opinion than the 2005 and the reduction
    in q factor is a good thing from my point of view.

    I'm not sure about the drilled rims as I don't know how strong it would
    be comparatively speaking but the added width should add stability and
    reduce tyre folding.

    The double bolt seat post clamp is definately somthing that is long
    overdue.

    I will leave judgement until I have had a chance to actually ride these
    but they look good.

    I'm curious about the justification for the change of spline pattern on
    the hub however as it means that new cranks will not be compatible with
    the older hub. It is good that all the major unicycle manufacturers are
    moving towards the ISIS hub as it will allow for interchange of parts
    if there are supply difficulties for certain parts but there should
    also be an assurance that cranks will still be made for the old hub as
    replacing the whole hub if cranks are damaged is expensive but will be
    necessary if cranks are not available.

    Looking forward to riding them.

    Plumsie (another climber and geologist)

    --
    plumsie
    plumsie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9800

  4. Pete,

    We should still have the cranks for the next few years I would think.
    All the Unicycle.com's should have new stock of these in December (I
    think). Although we have all the sizes in the UK at the moment anyway
    (140 in Onza not KH). :)

    Our stock of the KH arrive on the 29th of this month and we will get
    the web pages up so you can pre-order over the weekend. Kris jumped the
    gun a little, I was expecting the announcement on Sunday. Oh well.

    Roger

    --
    rogeratunicycledotcom

    ++++++++++++++++++
    Unicycle.com in the UK
    The UK's Unicycle Source
    www.unicycle.uk.com
    +++++++++++++++++++
    rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116

  5. mornish

    mornish Guest

    yay! are the rims going to cost more than they used to?

    also, how much difference does 3mm make for speed?

    --
    mornish

    tobbogonist wrote:
    > that was neat, now i only have to put it to use.
    > parents banned my uni due to low school marks so if there are any nerds
    > out there with a kind heart, i have a psychology assignment that is a
    > few weeks over due, it is on intelligence.

  6. Probailer2

    Probailer2 Guest

    In Paris Hilton's word's: THAT'S HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Those products look very good, but why did you make holes in the rims?
    They where good the way they were:STRONG
    And will those cranks fit on a Koxx hub?
    Anyway, nice work Kris, these products are looking GOOD.

    Peter M

    --
    Probailer2

    john_childs

    > Mmmmm... Sexy welds.

    Probailer2's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11034

  7. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    Mmm--mmghmm--uuuummm--BOOAHHHH!

    Kris sent me pictures of all this gorgeous new stuff a couple of weeks
    ago and I've had to hold it in. It all looks so beautiful, especially
    the hubs and cranks! The move to a more standardized spline can only be
    a good one, as it makes more choice available to riders.

    I'm amazed at the constant innovation from KH Cycles. Even Miyata never
    made so many changes so fast. In just a few short years we've gone to
    strong but otherwise relatively crude MUnis for $1200+, to now having
    much more sophisticated, better-looking, lighter and even stronger
    unicycles for nearly a third of that!

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
    -- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

  8. mornish

    mornish Guest

    when will these be available in the US?

    Kris- I think you should sell just the foam/gel from you saddles. I
    think a lot of people who use CF bases and custom saddles would buy it.

    --
    mornish

    tobbogonist wrote:
    > that was neat, now i only have to put it to use.
    > parents banned my uni due to low school marks so if there are any nerds
    > out there with a kind heart, i have a psychology assignment that is a
    > few weeks over due, it is on intelligence.

  9. kington99

    kington99 Guest

  10. danger_uni

    danger_uni Guest

    Probailer2 wrote:
    > In Paris Hilton's word's: THAT'S HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    > Those products look very good, but why did you make holes in the rims?
    > They where good the way they were:STRONG
    > And will those cranks fit on a Koxx hub?
    > Anyway, nice work Kris, these products are looking GOOD.
    >
    > Peter M

    Holes in the rims was a tough decision. The 47mm wide rims definately
    are more stable, especially for trials. So I think it is the way to
    go. But a solid 47mm wide rim is really heavy- too heavy in my
    opinion. I forget who it was (a famous mountainbiker, I think Keith
    Bontrager) who said "Strong. Light Weight. Pick one".

    Given that the wider rim contains more metal, have better geometry to
    resist twist, and that the rims are spec'd standard with eyelets and
    the best available alloy (7005H-T6), they seem to be about the same
    strength as the 2005 rims (the strong ones without grooves =)).

    Cheers,

    Kris

    --
    danger_uni
    danger_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/21

  11. mornish

    mornish Guest

    do the new gloves come in XS?:rolleyes:

    --
    mornish

    tobbogonist wrote:
    > that was neat, now i only have to put it to use.
    > parents banned my uni due to low school marks so if there are any nerds
    > out there with a kind heart, i have a psychology assignment that is a
    > few weeks over due, it is on intelligence.

  12. Johaaan

    Johaaan Guest

  13. mornish

    mornish Guest

    hmm. will the hub cranksets fit into the old(ish) KH frames?

    --
    mornish

    tobbogonist wrote:
    > that was neat, now i only have to put it to use.
    > parents banned my uni due to low school marks so if there are any nerds
    > out there with a kind heart, i have a psychology assignment that is a
    > few weeks over due, it is on intelligence.

  14. Daytripper63

    Daytripper63 Guest

  15. olarf

    olarf Guest

    Wow !!!!!! that looks really good.
    ISIS seems to become the new standard for the future (Qu-ax/Koxx/and
    now Kris Holm) and to use an industrial approved standard is for sure a
    good decision.
    The only bad thing I could find is that there is nearly nothing to
    improve for an 2007 edition :)

    --
    olarf

    visit 'unicycle.tv' (http://www.unicycle.tv)
    olarf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10588

  16. mornish

    mornish Guest

    also, did youi do anything to the seatposts? they seem to break really
    easy.

    --
    mornish

    tobbogonist wrote:
    > that was neat, now i only have to put it to use.
    > parents banned my uni due to low school marks so if there are any nerds
    > out there with a kind heart, i have a psychology assignment that is a
    > few weeks over due, it is on intelligence.

  17. Johaaan

    Johaaan Guest

  18. mornish

    mornish Guest

    It's stronger.

    I think : )

    --
    mornish

    tobbogonist wrote:
    > that was neat, now i only have to put it to use.
    > parents banned my uni due to low school marks so if there are any nerds
    > out there with a kind heart, i have a psychology assignment that is a
    > few weeks over due, it is on intelligence.

  19. Johaaan

    Johaaan Guest

  20. mornish

    mornish Guest

    wow, now I hav emore new things I want. :(

    will it be possible to buy an entire wheelset? for how much?

    --
    mornish

    tobbogonist wrote:
    > that was neat, now i only have to put it to use.
    > parents banned my uni due to low school marks so if there are any nerds
    > out there with a kind heart, i have a psychology assignment that is a
    > few weeks over due, it is on intelligence.

Share This Page