Knaven HR data

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Gary, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    It will be interesting to see the Polar HR data from today's ride by Knaven. He's one of a handful
    of riders who have their HR info available at: http://tdf.polar.fi/tourdefrance/heartrates.html But
    he's the first stage winner of the bunch. It will be fun to see how he managed his ride with the
    breakaway and attack. Probably will be posted tomorrow.

    Tags:

  2. Lindsay wrote:
    >>http://tdf.polar.fi/tourdefrance/heartrates.html
    > Cool site, great info. Take a look at Mancebo, Stage 8, L'Alpde d'Huez.

    The grade on L'Alpe is highly non-uniform, yet he maintains a quite steady HR there. Lesson for
    the masses?

    Dan

  3. "Daniel Connelly" <djconnel@ieee.org> wrote in message

    > Lindsay wrote:
    > >>http://tdf.polar.fi/tourdefrance/heartrates.html
    > > Cool site, great info. Take a look at Mancebo, Stage 8, L'Alpde d'Huez.
    >

    > The grade on L'Alpe is highly non-uniform, yet he maintains a quite steady
    HR there.
    > Lesson for the masses?

    Should be, if they haven't learned it already. I remember the first time I did a very-familiar local
    climb using an HRM to stay at LT (which I'd sussed via conconi-style testing). I was firstly amazed
    at how much more my gearing and tempo varied with gradient changes, and secondly by finishing the
    climb with a PR while feeling fresher at the top than I ever had before. Darned useful devices, if
    you take the time to learn your LT.

    SB

  4. On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 18:51:34 GMT, Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    >"Ewoud Dronkert" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 16:53:45 GMT, Daniel Connelly wrote:
    >> > The grade on L'Alpe is highly non-uniform
    >>
    >> http://www.phys.uu.nl/~dronkert/cycling/cols/l/huez_sud.gif
    >
    >Come on Ewoud. Please be nice to Dan, he hasn't been around for awhile.

    I wasn't sure if I was being nice or not, my first thought after reading Dan's line was: "yes it
    is!", but when I checked the graph: well mm mmm, maybe it's not "highly non-uniform" but not very
    regular either. So no comment, just the url.

  5. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    I predict that his HR will be moderately high, then higher still towards the end.

    (Yawn.)

    Andy Coggan

    "Gary" <gary@kvne.com> wrote in message news:vi001eqcfieaa8@corp.supernews.com...
    > It will be interesting to see the Polar HR data from today's ride by Knaven. He's one of a handful
    > of riders who have their HR info available
    at:
    > http://tdf.polar.fi/tourdefrance/heartrates.html But he's the first stage winner of the bunch. It
    > will be fun to see how he managed his ride with the breakaway and attack. Probably will be posted
    > tomorrow.

  6. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "Daniel Connelly" <djconnel@ieee.org> wrote in message

    > Lindsay wrote:
    > >>http://tdf.polar.fi/tourdefrance/heartrates.html
    > > Cool site, great info. Take a look at Mancebo, Stage 8, L'Alpde d'Huez.
    >
    > The grade on L'Alpe is highly non-uniform, yet he maintains a quite steady
    HR there.
    > Lesson for the masses?

    Yeah: that there's a significant time delay (half-life ~30 s) between changes in exercise intensity
    and changes in heart rate.

    Andy Coggan

  7. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

  8. Precious Pup

    Precious Pup Guest

    Andy Coggan wrote:

    > "Daniel Connelly" <djconnel@ieee.org> wrote in message

    > > > Cool site, great info. Take a look at Mancebo, Stage 8, L'Alpde d'Huez.
    > >
    > > The grade on L'Alpe is highly non-uniform, yet he maintains a quite steady
    > HR there.
    > > Lesson for the masses?
    >
    > Yeah: that there's a significant time delay (half-life ~30 s) between changes in exercise
    > intensity and changes in heart rate.

    Are you implying he was sharply changing the intensity of his physical effort while going up such a
    long climb? Why would a non-uniform climb *require* non-uniform power delivery, assuming you mean
    that "exercise intensity" is associated with power output?

    I don't know about you, but on long climbs, I go slowest on the steepest parts and faster on the
    less steep parts. That is some pretty weird shit... yawn.

  9. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Brian Phillips wrote:
    > "Gary" <gary@kvne.com> wrote in message news:vi001eqcfieaa8@corp.supernews.com...
    >
    >>It will be interesting to see the Polar HR data from today's ride by Knaven. He's one of a handful
    >>of riders who have their HR info available
    >
    > at:
    >
    >>http://tdf.polar.fi/tourdefrance/heartrates.html
    >

    > In the first stage, his HR was as low as 60! That's me, sitting in my La-Z-Boy, watching the tour
    > on OLN....

    A post last week asserted (with attribution) that the riders in the peloton were doing less than 100
    W average. That's almost six-ounce curl territory.

  10. On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:49:10 -0500, Gary wrote:
    >It will be interesting to see the Polar HR data from today's ride by Knaven. [...] Probably will be
    >posted tomorrow.

    Damn! Only S├ębastien Hinault.

  11. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "Raptor" <me@attbi.com> wrote in message news:3F20C802.70000@attbi.com...

    > A post last week asserted (with attribution) that the riders in the peloton were doing less than
    > 100 W average.

    *Some* riders in *some* stages may be only producing that much power on average (and keep in mind
    that the average is brought down by every second of coasting or soft-pedaling).

    Andy Coggan

  12. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Ewoud Dronkert" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:49:10 -0500, Gary wrote:
    > >It will be interesting to see the Polar HR data from today's ride by Knaven. [...] Probably will
    > >be posted tomorrow.
    >
    > Damn! Only S├ębastien Hinault.

    It's there now, if you're still interested. I'm not quite sure how informative it is.

  13. On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:10:17 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
    >It's there now, if you're still interested.

    Thanks.

    >I'm not quite sure how informative it is.

    Erm well, informative, in any case nice to have a look at for a minute.

  14. On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:10:17 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
    >It's there now, if you're still interested.

    Thanks.

    >I'm not quite sure how informative it is.

    Erm well, informative, in any case nice to have a look at for a minute.

  15. Robert Chung

    > On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:10:17 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
    > >I'm not quite sure how informative it is.
    >
    > Erm well, informative, in any case nice to have a look at for a minute.

    That's the issue in a nutshell, I think. The graphs are kinda pretty to look at but what do you do
    with them? I tend to think that the software that comes with HRMs and power meters is optimized for
    drawing nice graphs, but not so much for useful information.

  16. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Ewoud Dronkert" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:10:17 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
    > >I'm not quite sure how informative it is.
    >
    > Erm well, informative, in any case nice to have a look at for a minute.

    That's the issue in a nutshell, I think. The graphs are kinda pretty to look at but what do you do
    with them? I tend to think that the software that comes with HRMs and power meters is optimized for
    drawing nice graphs, but not so much for useful information.

Share This Page