Know any US merchant who sells bikes via mail order ?

nashbar, performancebike, jenson.com.

Try Amazon, but I am not sure how to cause it to get US retailers. Some guy posted a question from the UK along with a link for "amazon.co.uk"; is the URL the same for US and Canada on Amazon? Click on this and give it a shot http://www.amazon.com/, a GMC denali should be the cheapest bike and should cost $147US if you enter road bikes and sort by price.

rivermist said:
With the Canadian dollar being so strong these days, I'm looking at buying a road bike in the US.

Other than bikesdirect.com are do you know of any good merchant who will ship bikes ? I will pick up at the UPS store in Ogdensburg, NY.

I found a good deal on a Specialized
http://globalbikes.info/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&sort=pricedesc&id=1035

However, this merchant doesn't sell bikes via mail-order :-(
FWIW. Well, maybe it is just GLOBAL who won't ship, but I believe that the only way for you to get a Specialized bike/frame via mail order is to get it "used" through eBay (or, equivalent).

My recollection, and things may have changed, is that Specialized dealers are not allowed to sell any of their new Specialized bikes through mail order (you could buy their frames, separately, back in the 80s). Supposedly, Specialized's rationale is that they want to be certain that the bike is set up properly ...

In a seemingly similar vein, several years ago, I just wanted to get some replacement decals for an old Specialized frame that I had, and the local dealer couldn't order any for me ... either it was very poor customer service on Specialized's part OR simply MORE of their "control" over their product -- consequently, FWIW, I've never been inclined toward buying/(looking at) another Specilaized product.

I guess a work-around with GLOBAL is to ask them if they have a floor-model (or, even a new bike) that they can sell to you as a "USED" bike (with the presumption that Specialized does not have the same restrictions on "used" Specialized bikes that a dealer may have which may have been taken in as a trade-in ... but, you would probably lose any warranty that might exist; so, you'd have to weigh the subsequent pluses-and-minuses) ... and, whether the manager could make an exception and drop the boxed bike off at FedEx. See if there aren't other items you know you'll need in the near future (new helmet, etc.) with which you could "pad" the order as an enticement for them to make a sale to you (presuming they have the bike you want in YOUR SIZE) ...

Not sure if you're still shopping, but if you're ready to drive to Ogdensburg, you could go a bit further and check out either Placid Planet Cycles or High Peaks Cyclery.

These are both first rate stores with a great inventory and sales staff. I live 2.5 hours south and I'd make the drive to do business with either store. I've had great experiences with both.

There should be a number that are happy to take your Loonies. I am guessing about some of these as to Canadian shipping, but doubt seriously that it will be a problem.

Performancebike.com deals in moderate level bikes. Some very decent deals. Coupon codes can be found regularly on the web for 10% off or more.

SierraTradingPost.com. I have purchased a few things, but no bikes. Very happy with each transaction. They often have some very decent closeouts. I've seen Colnago, Kestrel (Evoke) and some others over the last year or so. Check the web for coupon codes as much as 30% off.

For upper end, my favorites include:

Jensonusa.com (I've had a few service glitches with them, but generally good). I believe they have some Look 555s and such on sale, and usually have moderate to upper end bikes available.

Pricepoint.com. Consistently the best service I've had, period. They have some house brand bikes that look pretty decent and may be worth a look.

Excelsports.com and Coloradocyclist.com. Real shops that do an OUTSTANDING job on their builds. A lot of mail order outfits ship them to you dealer ready (factory built) but these dudes build them from scratch and know what they are doing. I have purchased a Lightspeed from each and both were ready to ride (almost perfect) right out of the box. Five stars.

Competitive Cyclist has a good reputation but I've never had the pleasure. They have some closeouts on Colnagos and Cervelos right now, I believe.

Hi-Techbikes.com in San Diego seems to carry Kuota and Litespeed and has a good rep, but again, no background with actual purchases.

In my opinion, the upper end shops have one distinct advantage on non-closeout (package) bikes; you can select your parts picks and upgrade. Saddles, wheels, compact vs. traditional cranks, etc. Can ultimately save you a lot if you like a certain bike but don't care for the parts and will want to trade up. You also don't have hassle with the swaps.

Here's my recommendation:

(1) Absolutely know your measurements. Be 100% positive. If you have a bike you like right now, use a clothier's tape to get your numbers (in cm) and write them down. Make sure the bike is going to fit and fiind out if they will do a stem change if needed (many upper end shops will whereas places that sell them in the box (Performance) generally won't).

Competitive Cyclist also has a really neat (very detailed) bike measurement calculator. They have 3 ranges from most aggressive (aerodynamic, the "competitive") to the most comfortable ("French") and a middle ground ("Eddy"). I used this and found it helpful. I'm 40, 5'8" and personally prefer the French fit (larger frame in my size range; 53 cm with a 54 cm top tube).

This may be an outstanding time to consider what your goals are. If you are looking to get more competitive, you may want to go with a smaller frame (lighter, and flatter back position in the drops). If you have lower back pain, you may favor going a little bigger, with a somewhat more upright position, and perhaps you'll be more comfortable. I've personally found if I'm in pain, I'm not as fast. I may lose a little in the aero department but I feel like I make it up in stamina, especially as the hours wear on.

(2) Shop around. There are some great deals out there. I purchased a closeout Litespeed Vortex (Douglas) with Ultegra 10 for $2000 American from Colorado Cyclist. Check the "closeouts" and "blowouts" pages for the best deals.

I STRONGLY considered buying a rig from Bikes Direct based upon feedback I saw around the web. The seem to give you a ton of value. I personally don't care for aluminum frames, however, so that was the deciding factor (and I didn't care for their carbon).

The neat thing about using these types of places is that you can perhaps ride something that everyone else DOESN'T. In the US, everyone is on a Specialized, Giant, or Trek. They are all very good brands, but I don't want to ride everyone else's bike. Right now I have a Look KX Light and the Vortex and love them both. They are also kind of conversation pieces as they are unique in this area.

Being Canadian you may favor Cervelo. They are great bikes and if there is a problem (warranty; I believe lifetime on the frame) dealers should be easy to find. I really considered one but they don't fit me quite as well and I found the best deal on the Vortex.

Lotsa luck. Hope you find what you are looking for. :)

One last thing, in anticipation of angry replies from shops; I have nothing against shops. I personally do most of my shopping online because (1) it is substantially cheaper (2) the shops never seem to have what I want/need (3) I am qualified to do my own mechanics, and do so almost exclusively. For buying a complete bike you may well be able to get a very good deal from a nearby bike shop. I have found them to be much more competitive in terms of complete bikes than in loose items (clothing and parts) in my experience.

Most people have neither the tools or the experience to correctly keep a high end bike in proper (and safe) tune. Certain items are very dangerous to play around with (like carbon steerer tubes) if you don't have proper tools (high quality torque wrench) and know exactly what you are doing (torque specs).

If you want and/or need the shop support (many include free tuneups for at least a year) then absolutely the investment of perhaps a few extra dollars is more than worth it. But the other rules still apply, in my opinion, as to checking fit, thinking about goals, and looking for closeouts.

Finally; if you do use a shop, consider finding one with a Fit Kit measurement system. I had one of these done in the early 90s and it was a real wake up call. I had several serious errors in my setup (stem length and frame size) that were making me miserable. The Fit Kit pointed them out. No mail order calculator likely could have pointed this out, and certainly not as quickly. Best $50 I ever spent.

Happy trails.

rivermist said:
With the Canadian dollar being so strong these days, I'm looking at buying a road bike in the US.

Other than bikesdirect.com are do you know of any good merchant who will ship bikes ? I will pick up at the UPS store in Ogdensburg, NY.

I found a good deal on a Specialized
http://globalbikes.info/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&sort=pricedesc&id=1035

However, this merchant doesn't sell bikes via mail-order :-(
Keep in mind duty. I understand it's 13% for importing a bike into Canada.