LA will crush 'em TDF 2009

wilburleft said:
Armstrong is unstoppable!

You're right: even a frozen bit of fuel and a descent engine burp couldn't keep him and Aldrin from safely landing on the moon. Really though, Aldrin was the much better pilot. Armstrong had a bit of a storied past as a pilot. Just as Yeager.

Ah, it actually took longer than expected for the LA lovers to show back up. :D

Cool, the fun begins. :cool:

I'm not an Armstrong lover or hater, but I do feel he is good for the sport. He increases attention to cycling, which means more bikes sold, more $ for bike companies, and better bikes. I know this would happen anyway, but the influx of cash can only speed it up. I think he is also good for racing because of the attention he will bring to it (and cancer). I feel those who win deserve to win, and whether or not he wins or loses, it's fine with me.

I take it that you mean your Armstrong-factor is important for cycling in the US? This year's Tour had record TV audiences and was quite an exciting race. Sans Armstrong and Astana, I might add.

If there's any 37 year old retired cyclist that has a legitimate chance to return to cycling at the highest level, it's definitely LA. But if he feels he must come back he should try to win something that could actually help his legacy as a racer, like Roubaix, Flanders, MSR, L-B-L or the Giro. But yet another Tour?

I mean with the average Joe here in the US. There are many cyclists, and we are interested in the sport already, but his celebrity brings more non-cyclists into the sport. Many of them remain fans only as long as LA is participating, but it still brings viewership and interest. I have talked to a few shop owners, and they have all said that when Lance is riding, more bikes are being bought. That seems to include nice bikes bought by people motivated into becoming more serious cyclists, down to cheaper hybrids bought by those just wanting to go around their neighborhood, all of which is good for the sport. As a cyclist, I agree that the Tour was great, but I do think Lance brings in more viewers and mainstream media coverage (at least in the US).

Powerful Pete said:
I take it that you mean your Armstrong-factor is important for cycling in the US? This year's Tour had record TV audiences and was quite an exciting race. Sans Armstrong and Astana, I might add.

I think he should stay retired and do local races, help sponsor domestic teams, and do other things to promote healthy life styles. Maybe go for the hour record, run the Western States maybe promote some of the longer randonnée.

I think it's great that he will be riding in some of stateside tours. Like him or not, he is a great promoter for running and cycling. Especially in Italy. :D

-LW

I just hope the rumor that he will ride in some of the other races is true, and maybe we will start getting better coverage here in the states.

Although, I suspect this is a 1 year thing, so it probably won't be enough to make that happen.

lwedge said:
I think it's great that he will be riding in some of stateside tours. Like him or not, he is a great promoter for running and cycling. Especially in Italy. :D

-LW
LOL. Now you are a marked man. :D

But seriously, why not try to ride the other monuments... Giro, Vuelta, and the classics, if he has to make his comeback? Oh well, I do not understand marketing...

Powerful Pete said:
But seriously, why not try to ride the other monuments... Giro, Vuelta, and the classics, if he has to make his comeback? Oh well, I do not understand marketing...
Agreed.

We'll see, next season is, well,,,, next season so we will see. This is going to take some serious training to get back to competitive shape, let's see if he has the determination to sick with it.

If he doesn't.... C'est la vie !

-lw