Lance ... a good ride today?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Psycholist, May 23, 2004.

  1. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    All I see so far is that he won the stage, but Moreau
    won the GC.

    Anyone have more details to share?

    Bob C.

    Tags:

  2. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    psycholist wrote:
    > All I see so far is that he won the stage, but Moreau
    > won the GC.
    >
    > Anyone have more details to share?

    The stage ended on the pretty Mediterranean coast in Sete
    with two climbs of the redoubtable Mont St. Clair.
    Armstrong, Azevedo, and Euskaltel's Eigo Martinez (who
    should be paid attention to) made their move on the peloton
    at the bottom of the first ascension and quickly made
    separation. Well-launched, Armstrong accelerated, Azevedo
    dropped, and Martinez hung on. The pair crested together,
    about 24 seconds ahead of Moreau who was in yellow (Moreau
    held the GC with a 12 second lead over Ekimov and 27 seconds
    over Iker Flores--Ekimov was in Moreau's wheel on the
    climb). Armstrong and Martinez flew down the back side of
    the Mont and came around for the final climb. At the bottom
    Brochard attacked the Moreau group, as is his wont: he's won
    this climb a couple of times before, including two years ago
    when the race was called the Midi Libre. Meanwhile, with 500
    meters to go, Armstrong stood up on the pedals and
    accelerated again, dropping Martinez. He finished with a 10
    or 12 second gap on Martinez and Brochard who nipped
    Martinez in the last 50m for 2nd. Moreau finished about 40
    seconds back, with Ekimov still on his heels. Moreau held on
    to the GC with the same gap with which he started the day.
    Armstrong showed some pop in his legs.

  3. Tm

    Tm Guest

    "Robert Chung" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message

    > The stage ended on the pretty Mediterranean coast in
    > Sete <snip>
    Armstrong showed
    > some pop in his legs.

    Your recaps are well written and interesting.

    Thanks.

  4. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

  5. Jeff Jones wrote:

    > "psycholist" <technico@wctel.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>All I see so far is that he won the stage, but Moreau
    >>won the GC.
    >>
    >>Anyone have more details to share?
    >>

    > Full results up now
    >
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id=road/2004/may04/la-
    > nguedoc04/languedoc 045 or http://tinyurl.com/2e43c
    >
    > Nice finish by Wim Van Huffel (4th). He's been
    > consistently good this year. Must be all that training
    > along the Schelde ;-)
    >
    > Jeff

    Half of postal didn't finish the stage? What's up with that?

  6. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Richard Adams wrote:
    > Half of postal didn't finish the stage? What's up
    > with that?

    This is just a guess, but I'm guessing they knew it was
    the last stage and the buses were parked at the bottom
    of the hill.

  7. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "TM" <lkjd@lkjk.com> wrote in message news:10b1dbaat23l476@corp.supernews.com...

    > "Robert Chung" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message news:2hbpjlFbb57pU1@uni-
    > berlin.de...
    > >
    > > The stage ended on the pretty Mediterranean coast in
    > > Sete <snip>
    > Armstrong showed
    > > some pop in his legs.
    > >

    > Your recaps are well written and interesting.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Yes, well done.

    M.

  8. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Nice report Robert.

    "Robert Chung" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message news:2hbpjlFbb57pU1@uni-
    berlin.de...
    > psycholist wrote:
    > > All I see so far is that he won the stage, but Moreau
    > > won the GC.
    > >
    > > Anyone have more details to share?
    >
    > The stage ended on the pretty Mediterranean coast in Sete
    > with two climbs of the redoubtable Mont St. Clair.
    > Armstrong, Azevedo, and Euskaltel's Eigo Martinez (who
    > should be paid attention to) made their move on the
    > peloton at the bottom of the first ascension and quickly
    > made separation. Well-launched, Armstrong accelerated,
    > Azevedo dropped, and Martinez hung on. The pair crested
    > together, about 24 seconds ahead of Moreau who was in
    > yellow (Moreau held the GC with a 12 second lead over
    > Ekimov and 27 seconds over Iker Flores--Ekimov was in
    > Moreau's wheel on the climb). Armstrong and Martinez flew
    > down the back side of the Mont and came around for the
    > final climb. At the bottom Brochard attacked the Moreau
    > group, as is his wont: he's won this climb a couple of
    > times before, including two years ago when the race was
    > called the Midi Libre. Meanwhile, with 500 meters to go,
    > Armstrong stood up on the pedals and accelerated again,
    > dropping Martinez. He finished with a 10 or 12 second gap
    > on Martinez and Brochard who nipped Martinez in the last
    > 50m for 2nd. Moreau finished about 40 seconds back, with
    > Ekimov still on his heels. Moreau held on to the GC with
    > the same gap with which he started the day. Armstrong
    > showed some pop in his legs.

Share This Page