Lance on doping controls

wicklow200

May 12, 2005
Armstrong urges rigid whereabouts system

By JEROME PUGMIRE AP SPORTS WRITER

PAU, France -- Lance Armstrong has no sympathy for cyclists who fail to report their whereabouts for drug tests, no matter where they are or what time of year it is.

"It's 2007, everyone's accessible by cell phone, e-mail or Blackberry," Armstrong told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "I declared where I was 365 days a year. Everybody has to play by the same rules."

The seven-time Tour de France champion weighed in on the case of current Tour leader Michael Rasmussen, who was dropped from Denmark's national team last week for failing to tell anti-doping officials of his whereabouts for drug tests.

Rasmussen received a warning on June 29 from the International Cycling Union because he missed random drug tests on May 8 and June 28. Anti-doping officials sought to contact Rasmussen but he had not informed them of his whereabouts. He said he was training in Mexico.

Armstrong feels controls need to be stricter.

"The answer is a whereabouts system where they know where you are," Armstrong said. "It definitely should be tighter."

Rasmussen said he did not have a computer in Mexico and that he sent the UCI a fax on April 2. The UCI won't confirm whether they received it.

"It's a minor deal. I know that a lot of riders in the peloton receive warnings for not informing or not giving updated information to the UCI," Rasmussen said. "I'm just one out of many, and I just happen to ride with the yellow jersey right now."

On Monday, cycling chief Pat McQuaid said "the last thing this sport needs is more speculation about doping," adding that the Danish rider has "broken no rules, so from that point of view ... you have to give him the benefit of the doubt."

Armstrong, who retired after his seventh straight Tour win in 2005, points out that despite all the brouhaha and speculation concerning Rasmussen, one fact stands out.

"In the current system, Rasmussen is not in violation," Armstrong said Monday, speaking from Iowa while watching Alexandre Vinokourov's stage 15 victory on television. "The system in place is what it is. I'm not taking a position on it."

Armstrong is no stranger to the doping controversy surrounding cycling. Though he never tested positive and has vigorously denied all allegations, the Texan has come under fire in several books that allege he took performance enhancers.

Former teammate Frankie Andreu and his wife, Betsy, have also come out against Armstrong, alleging he told doctors treating his cancer in 1996 that he had used performance-enhancing drugs. None of the claims has ever been verified.

One thing is clear: Armstrong likes what he sees in Alberto Contador and believes the Spanish cyclist can win the Tour - perhaps even this year. Contador, who rides for Discovery Channel - Armstrong's former team - is in second place behind Rasmussen. He trails by 2 minutes, 23 seconds with one tough mountain stage and one time trial representing the best chances he has of closing that gap.

"I think he's the revelation of the Tour," Armstrong said of Contador. "But I wouldn't say we're surprised. He won the Paris-Nice race. When we did reconnaissance in the Alps he was so much stronger than anyone else.

"He's a young guy, so you don't want to put too much pressure on him," Armstrong added. "The way things are right now, he could win the Tour. He's a smart kid, a great kid."

On Sunday, the 24-year-old Contador beat Rasmussen in a mountaintop sprint finish that bore more than a passing resemblance to how Armstrong beat Germany's Andreas Kloeden up to Le Grand Bornand in the French Alps three years ago. Both had gone toe-to-toe in the hills all that afternoon, before Armstrong destroyed Kloeden in the sprint. Contador couldn't shake Rasmussen, but Armstrong liked what he saw.

"I mean the similarity (between us) is the acceleration, his ability to accelerate," Armstrong said. "I think he was taking stock and looking at the other guys then the next thing you know he was pulling away."

However, Armstrong still feels Rasmussen - who resisted three attacks from Contador in Monday's final climb up Peyresourde - is in a commanding position.

"He's time-trialed better than we thought," Armstrong said. "If they don't drop him, and he time trials like he did (on Saturday), he's going to win."

Armstrong paid tribute to Vinokourov, the Kazakh rider who has ridden most of the Tour with up to 30 stitches in both knees but still managed to win two stages.

"Vino's a tough guy and he always has been," Armstrong said.

However, the Texan feels "Vino" may lack the consistency needed to be a complete Tour rider.

"To win the Tour, you have to time trial and climb. You can't pick and choose." Armstrong said. "It was the same in the Dauphine (Libere). He did well in the time trial and was dropped on Mont Ventoux. I think he lacks the balance.

However, Armstrong qualified that statement by reminding that Vinokourov "had a serious crash."

Armstrong enjoys watching the race from his television set these days. However, he expects to visit Contador and the rest of the Discovery team prior to the race's end in Paris on July 29.

"We'll see what happens after the Pyrenees. It's looking more likely," he said.

Armstrong is confident both Contador and Levi Leipheimer - currently fourth - will be on the Champs-Elysees podium.

"I think that's a real possibility," he said. "I do."

Bwaa haa haa haa. This coming from the guy who would hold training camps in the Canary islands.

I have read that Ras' whereabouts were unknown for 22 days in June.

Bro Deal said:
Bwaa haa haa haa. This coming from the guy who would hold training camps in the Canary islands.
Everyone holds training camps at unusual places in the early season. And typically, everyone knows where those training camps are. It's not about where, but about who knows.

When Lance was racing, he said that control were too strong. Now that he needs to find a sponsor they are not strong enough.
No words from Floyd, Tyler or Ivan?

Excuse the hi-jack for a second but I just thought of this:

Anti-doping officials sought to contact Rasmussen but he had not informed them of his whereabouts. He said he was training in Mexico.

Now, if I were a professional cyclist and the anti-doping officials asked me where I was for the past 22 days, Mexico -- even if that's where I was -- wouldn't be my first answer.

This is not a bright man.

helmutRoole2 said:
Now, if I were a professional cyclist and the anti-doping officials asked me where I was for the past 22 days, Mexico -- even if that's where I was -- wouldn't be my first answer.

That's funny. Insightful, but still hilariously funny!

helmutRoole2 said:
Excuse the hi-jack for a second but I just thought of this:

Anti-doping officials sought to contact Rasmussen but he had not informed them of his whereabouts. He said he was training in Mexico.

This is not a bright man.
But isn't his wife from Mexico? Doesn't he train in Mexico every year? It would not make any sense to tell a story different from one's customary pattern.

exactly. the problem isn't his location. it's the fact that he didn't give them one at all.

but i gotta say....i'd like to see more than this before releasing the hounds on him.

JRMDC said:
But isn't his wife from Mexico? Doesn't he train in Mexico every year? It would not make any sense to tell a story different from one's customary pattern.
Damn, JR. Ruined a perfectly good joke.

Yeah, I heard his wife is from Mexico, but her dad runs a pharmacia.
:D

That was another joke.

cheapie said:
but i gotta say....i'd like to see more than this before releasing the hounds on him.
+1, but he does paint him in an unflattering light. Very unflattering. I mean, what kind of tool tries to set up his buddy as a drug mule?

Lance needs to go AWOL yet again. Keep away from all microphones/cell phones or U-Tube clips.

As he did for a USADA test at his ranch and as he hid during the Roid Landis hearings.

More trouble ahead for Nike. Dog fights to doping.

helmutRoole2 said:
+1, but he does paint him in an unflattering light. Very unflattering. I mean, what kind of tool tries to set up his buddy as a drug mule?
oh yeah. i forgot about that. :eek: cripes. is there anyone i can be a fan of? maybe my buddy matt. he's fast. and i'm fairly certain he doesn't dope. :rolleyes:

helmutRoole2 said:
That is the thing that got me. Ras is a **** weasel. If he was willing to treat one "friend" like this then you can bet there are others he has burned in one way or another. I expect we will see a lot of dirt dug up on the Chicken.

Doctor.House said:
Lance needs to go AWOL yet again. Keep away from all microphones/cell phones or U-Tube clips.

As he did for a USADA test at his ranch and as he hid during the Roid Landis hearings.

More trouble ahead for Nike. Dog fights to doping.
Armstrong has already been running away from cycling as fast as he can. His association with cycling is now largely restricted to the general recreational cyclist who does not follow the sport and doesn't have the information to conclude that he is a doper.

That is why is doing RAGBRAI. He gets his ego stroked by the clueless.

Bro Deal said:
That is why is doing RAGBRAI. He gets his ego stroked by the clueless.
You don't know why he is doing RAGBRAI.

He is doing RAGBRAI for cancer....I know for a fact because I have the inside on what he is doing here in my town and with the cancer angle. I will be there.
It's all about cancer......

I was one of the original riders of RAGBRAI way back when.

No one really cares about the TDF on RAGBRAI. They really don't.
Armstrong does not need ego boosting from anyone.

He is a sportsman that has carried a cause far better then most celebrities.

wolfix said:
He is doing RAGBRAI for cancer....I know for a fact because I have the inside on what he is doing here in my town and with the cancer angle. I will be there.
It's all about cancer.......
Yeah, sure it is...

wolfix said:
You don't know why he is doing RAGBRAI.

It's all about cancer......

I was one of the original riders of RAGBRAI way back when.

No one really cares about the TDF on RAGBRAI. They really don't.
Armstrong does not need ego boosting from anyone.

He is a sportsman that has carried a cause far better then most celebrities.
I happen to think that LA is genuine in his desires to do as much as possible for the cancer community. I also believe he used PEDs. I think he is too complex an individual to categorize with simple notions. Not knowing him personally, I have no idea of the relative strength of his ego, but I do consider that most ultra successful athletes have an extremely high level of self worth and self confidence. He, like most, can be a good person and a bad person at the same time. Like most extraordinary people, he can be a LOT of both, again at the same time.

dude...don't crack on his commitment to cancer survivorship. he may be an arrogant doping vengeful...person, but he and his foundation have changed thousands of lives. there isn't anything to suggest that he's not really interested in the welfare of cancer patients.