Liggett,Sherwen,Roll and Al T. qui sont des clowns ou que?- are they clowns or what?

mareblu

Mar 16, 2004
Tell me what is the point of view you have about this year's commentators of OLN TV. ;)

Personally, I like the commentary of Phil and Paul. Phil has made a few mistakes by getting the names of the riders wrong. He must have confused Iker Camano for Isasi, Mayo, and Zubeldia enough times in the stage won by Hincapie. The other day he couldn't even recognize the DC rider at the head of the peleton, until Paul stated his name.

I usually turn the tv off when Al and Bob are on after the stage is over. For that same stage I mentioned above, Bob picked Rasmussen for the win. Immediately Al asked.. "You mean Armstrong is just gonna let him go?" He did have a point, but he could have spared a thought for Rasmussen.

Phil and Paul are only OK in my book. They tend to overdramatize every little thing that happens, and speculate wildly any chance they get. But, their job as commentators probably dictates all of this and they do keep it interesting.

For me, Bob Roll is a hoot to watch and listen to! At first, I was really turned off watching and listening to him, but he grew on me. Once you get past his busy hands and spastic style, he definately seems to know what he is talking about. He has his very own quirky style and adds alot of color to the broadcasts. I recall watching last years TDF, and he accurately predicted a TT time for Armstrong within one second - very impressive indeed!

Al needs to only cover Olympic curling. I believe that is much more his speed.

Scotty_Dog said:
Bob Roll is a hoot to watch and listen to! At first, I was really turned off watching and listening to him, but he grew on me.
For me it is the exact opposite. At first, he didn't bother me, but lately his commentary strikes me sometimes as a bit too Lance-centric and meanspirited toward some of the other riders. Yesterday, for example, there was discussion of the rivalry between Armstrong and Ullrich, and Roll described Ullrich as essentially being a clumsy buffoon with respect to tactics as compared to Armstrong, and then mocked him with one of those "Hans and Franz" imitations.

In that context, I thought it was unnecessarily disrespectful to Ullrich and to Germans in general. I suppose I may be overreacting, but I can only imagine what most of my fellow Americans would think if we were watching a telecast in Germany and saw one of their announcers mock Armstrong as spewing inanities with an exaggerated Texan accent.

That being said, when he's actually discussing cycling, his insight is adequate, if not spectacular. You are absolutely correct about Trautwig. I understand OLN's intent of giving us a polished traditional American sportscaster to anchor the coverage, but he is so clueless as to the dynamics of the race beyond the overall GC competition that he irks me.

Paul and Phil are an institution at this point. Yes, they go overboard with their "amazing"s and "incredibles" etc., but they work very well together, have a comfortable yet dramatic style that lends itself well to extended daily coverage of this kind of event. It will be a very sad day when they stop commentating on cycling to an American audience, because what we have to look forward to is the abomination of the evening OLN broadcast, where the play-by-play is given by Roll and Trautwig for most of the broadcast. It's almost excruciating. Thankfully, the suits at OLN are smart enough to switch back to Paul/Phil for the stage finish. No one can make a 3rd place sprint finish sound as exciting as gool ol' Phil.

In South Africa we get 2 ex pros and one general sports announcer to lead into the Paul and Phil show. Our ex pros are pretty inciteful with 'insider' views and info. The general announcer, Arnold Geerts is terrible. You know what it's like when someone knows diddly squat about a subject and throws sad jokes in to pass the time? Bingo! People I bring you the king of pun, the rhyming idiot - Arnold Geerts.

Phil and Paul are pretty funny and have an enormous amount of funny stories - granted they confuse riders, come up with loads of conspiracy theories and wild scenarios but in general I enjoy them. Much in the same way I enjoyed Murray Walker: AND IT'S DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA!!! Michael Shumacher coming up to overtake <pause> MICHAEL SCHUMACHER!!

rejobako said:
Yesterday, for example, there was discussion of the rivalry between Armstrong and Ullrich, and Roll described Ullrich as essentially being a clumsy buffoon with respect to tactics as compared to Armstrong, and then mocked him with one of those "Hans and Franz" imitations.
I actually missed yesterday's broadcast, but I would not condone the behavior you described. Maybe he just got a little too caught up in it all, and let his mouth go too far. He is highly excitable, but that's no excuse.

Scotty_Dog said:
I actually missed yesterday's broadcast, but I would not condone the behavior you described. Maybe he just got a little too caught up in it all, and let his mouth go too far. He is highly excitable, but that's no excuse.
Bob Roll is different. At times I wish he wasn't doing the OLN broadcast, but then he comes up with an insight that is as good as anything Phil 7 Paul have. And the Bob Roll "quotes" are always good ....... Who is this Sam Posey???? Is he like a poet or something ?????

wolfix said:
Bob Roll is different. At times I wish he wasn't doing the OLN broadcast, but then he comes up with an insight that is as good as anything Phil 7 Paul have. And the Bob Roll "quotes" are always good ....... Who is this Sam Posey???? Is he like a poet or something ?????

Well, let's admit it boys, OLN is definitely trying to be appealing to a vaste audience. It looks like with their new show format, they have been more succesful this year. Or, aren't you enjoying their Yellow Jersey Competition and the Lucky 7 tv commercials?

Having said that, I don't think they can lure me into watching their stupid Bull riding shows! :mad: :mad: :mad:

mareblu said:
Well, let's admit it boys, OLN is definitely trying to be appealing to a vaste audience. It looks like with their new show format, they have been more succesful this year. Or, aren't you enjoying their Yellow Jersey Competition and the Lucky 7 tv commercials?

Having said that, I don't think they can lure me into watching their stupid Bull riding shows! :mad: :mad: :mad:

oh I forgot, and their Survival show!

What is great about Phil is that he always wears nice new neatly pressed shirts - have you noticed? With very precise creases ...

LindaNo1 said:
What is great about Phil is that he always wears nice new neatly pressed shirts - have you noticed? With very precise creases ...

Yes I have. Great eye ;)

back in the old days when they only commentated for Channel 4 here, Liggett and Sherwin were excellent commentators. Ever since they now also commentate for OLN as well as ITV over here, they've had to cater for the American audience, most of whom only care about Discovery/Lance/The TDF.

As a result, they've become biased and have dumbed down a bit too :p

Time to repot all of them.

Too many commercials, not enough race coverage.

Too many shills for the 'themes'.

Bring on Eurosport and 58.5 minutes of racing per 90 seconds of commercials.

Stop masking the doping. W/o commercials no advertisers will so easily offended.

Dario Frigo was a big story--so too the Francaise des Jeux team doctor complaining about better dope on the front end of the race.

Didier Rous protesting re: dope.

Those are relevant race-centric issues!

Dead Star said:
back in the old days when they only commentated for Channel 4 here, Liggett and Sherwin were excellent commentators. Ever since they now also commentate for OLN as well as ITV over here, they've had to cater for the American audience, most of whom only care about Discovery/Lance/The TDF.

As a result, they've become biased and have dumbed down a bit too :p

Flyer you raise a pertinent point here.... there has been no mention of Frigo or that Russian guy or any doping issues by P&P....... and yes they do pump Lance's tyres all the time... in the old days they would talk a load more about the other riders.... oh how I wish Robert Miller and Malcolm Elliot were still racing !

Flyer said:
Time to repot all of them.

Too many commercials, not enough race coverage.

Too many shills for the 'themes'.

Bring on Eurosport and 58.5 minutes of racing per 90 seconds of commercials.

Stop masking the doping. W/o commercials no advertisers will so easily offended.

Dario Frigo was a big story--so too the Francaise des Jeux team doctor complaining about better dope on the front end of the race.

Didier Rous protesting re: dope.

Those are relevant race-centric issues!

Dead Star said:
very true. Listening to them both these days is like listening to Disco propaganda :(

Well, OLN is an American television station isn't it? then why can't be bias? I am sure that if you hear French or Italian TV they strongly comment and speak about their own nationals :p

well sport is treated as all jingoistic 'USA! USA! USA!' cheerleading, so perhaps it's inevitable for you all.

What frustrates me is that Eurosport will tend to do the same, with that annoying woman Christie Anderson orgasming every time a US rider is in a break or gets to the front of the peloton.

Sporza do a bit of Boonen jerking off, but at least they provide the viewer with a bit more partial coverage of their respective races, which is why the UCI cited them as a prime example of how cycling coverage should be broadcast at that Eindhoven TTT

whiteboytrash said:
Flyer you raise a pertinent point here.... there has been no mention of Frigo or that Russian guy or any doping issues by P&P....... and yes they do pump Lance's tyres all the time... in the old days they would talk a load more about the other riders.... oh how I wish Robert Miller and Malcolm Elliot were still racing !
reee